Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Dorn

Author Topic: Dorn
dckafka
Member # 3258

- posted      Profile for dckafka   Email dckafka         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for comments on an opening. Does this work?

Dorn decided he really needed to invest in a Walkman or an iPod.

It was the chewing that drove him mad. The screams were disturbing; very hard to keep them out of out of his head, but they always stopped. Eventually. But the open-mouthed chewing and slurping, the breaking and sucking of bones went on and on. Now and then it made him a little crazy. Then he’d fling open the windows and scream at the pale figures hunched in the shadows below. He’d throw crockery, books or ink-pots down at them; tell them he was trying to work, for shit sake, and to bugger off. Their round, luminous eyes turned upwards to look at him. Then, dismissing him as neither food nor a threat, they’d go back to their incessant feeding.

“You just can’t bloody go home again,” he growled as he searched the wardrobe for something he could cut up into ear plugs.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious. I don't like your phrase 'for shit sake', seems like it should be 'for shit's sake'. And then he says to bugger off, which seems odd to me that he would throw the two terms together.

And the line
Then, dismissing him as neither food nor a threat, they’d go back to their incessant feeding.

Dismissing him as neither food nor threat, they'd go back to their incessant feeding.
________

The 'then's popped out at me.

I am curious though.

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I just don't understand what's happening here.

First, the first paragraph was a single sentence, which can work if it's a good enough sentence, but why should I care that some guy wants a walkman or an ipod? I would expect something more from a sentence set apart in its own paragraph.

Second, I didn't connect until just a second ago that the reason he wanted a walkman was to block out noises. I don't know why, but somehow it just didn't come together in my mind when you started going on about random environmental noises in the next paragraph.

Third, I just figured out that something outside is eating something, but I'm not sure if its an animal that is eating or being eaten and I'm just confused.

On a positive note, now that I've read it through a second time and am piecing together more of what you mean, i think that, if anything like I'm imagining is going on, this guy's attitude is quite fascinating. But I don't think it would hurt his attitude to put a little bit more concise description in there. In fact, it might even help if he thinks nonchalantly of humans being eaten or of humans (zombies, vampires,...?) eating other things. Putting the actual words, whatever they are, into this paragraph, IMHO, adds to the creepiness of the character and adds more intrigue while alleviating confusion.

My two cents.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omakase
Member # 2915

- posted      Profile for Omakase   Email Omakase         Edit/Delete Post 
An intriguing opening, but a few problems that I see.

The first line puts us in the present day, but the idea of throwing crockery and ink pots out the window seems to indicate a setting in the past.

A little too much British colloquialism jammed in at the end - shit sake, bugger, bloody (not sure what the last sentence means out of context)

The first sentence might work better at the end. There is enough mystery here that I would read further though.

Posts: 179 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
The first line/paragraph might date your story. That doesn't mean you shouldn't use it, but only something you need to consider. Will anyone know what an iPod is ten, twenty, fifty years from now? Still, Walkmans have been around since before I was a teenager -- ages and ages ago -- so maybe... Again, something to keep in mind. Are there any alternatives?

As for the rest, it's bizarre enough to hook me. I sure hope what follows explains enough to keep me from putting it down. Yeah, the intro could be tightened up (see earlier comment about repetitive 'thens'), but it looks like it might be a fun story to read.

Good job on making it clear the MC is British/English/UK-ish by use of vulgar slang.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL 601
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for TL 601   Email TL 601         Edit/Delete Post 

I like this but if the pale figures are cats or something, I'm coming to your house to slap you with a glove.

(Just kidding!)

Just please don't let this be one of those *twist* things.

Posts: 237 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowden
Member # 3340

- posted      Profile for Snowden   Email Snowden         Edit/Delete Post 
<Dorn decided he really needed.......

You might want to reassess the placement of that line. Specifically, put that line at the end of the second paragraph. Make it a summation instead of an opener. You start with a "normal line", segue into weirdness, back to normal.

Since we start out normal (ie, our natural state) and read a normal line (Walkman), you take us nowhere. The true impact of the first line is lost. Dorn is doing a normal thing. We do not realize how surreal his desires are until AFTER the second paragraph.

If we are shown this bizarre scene of chewing, pale things- and realize his "solution" is to buy a Walkman... now we are in a position to appreciate just how strange Dorn's reaction is.
-----
The second paragraph is confusing. My best guess is that it was "written for effect". It wasn't until you mentioned "pale figures" that I had any idea what was going on. I think your intent was for us to be thinking "what is all this chewing and sucking business then?" I did, but not so much in a good way.

I cannot be 100% sure, but I am reasonably certain- you could take what you have. Write it in the most sequential, normal, and understandable manner- and you would still have a humdinger. I am not sure if you need to try and be suspenseful or cagey.

Let me put it this way- I read it four times. I copied and pasted it around to make sure I "understood" what was going on. Nothing seemed to be lost- this is still a very interesting opening. You got weirdness, conflict, a pretty well developed character for only 13 lines. This is not a monster that need be cloaked in a shadow of prose.
------
How many words is it? What is the genre?

Posts: 41 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
What Christine said.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
You can just tell us. As in,

Ever since the evil robot monkeys from outer space landed, Joe Bob stayed hidden in his apartment.

Time, place, situation, and we know who "they" are.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, though maybe I'm just crazy. Like Dorn

Okay, so the first line...I like that you set it apart, as though it defines not just the next paragraph but the next several paragraphs, as the ultimate solution to the problem that you'll be detailing. I hate that you mentioned an iPod, but that's just because I'm not big on Apple generally.

Then you get into why he wants some headphones, and at first I'm thinking that he's got some kind of schizophrenia. As the description continues, I find that while he may or may not be delusional in the ordinary sense, he's certainly worried about the wrong things here.

I'm fascinated. In a morbid way, to be sure, but still hooked. You skirt an interesting edge here, the line between a situation, albeit a mental/moral one, and a condition. But this opening drips with potential.

Horrible, sibilant, incessant dripping, but full of potential.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

- posted      Profile for sholar   Email sholar         Edit/Delete Post 
The British words are fine (but I am in a pretty international crowd so I didn't even think about it until someone pointed it out). Overall, I thought it was a really good hook, except kinda creepy. As said earlier, it better not turn out to be a bunch of cats.
Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hooked. I definitely would keep reading to find out what is going on, and why he has such a flippant attitude towards "the breaking and sucking of bones" outside his window. It's the protagonist's attitude that draws me in. As long as some answers come fairly quickly, you wouldn't lose me.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
The second sentence is what threw me. "It was the chewing that drove him mad". The first time I read it, I did not realize you meant a chewing sound, I thought you meant that he was eating something. Once I figured that out the rest of it was interesting enough for me to read on.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Woodie
Member # 3346

- posted      Profile for Woodie   Email Woodie         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the sentiment that it would be nice to knew who the pale figures are. I personally could do without the first sentence completely. It puts me in the mood for something contemporary, but then to throw in something from a horror genre does not sit well with me.
Posts: 88 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it the way it is but would want to know what they were pretty soon, but it won't kill me to wait a little.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited April 08, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homeworld
Member # 3136

- posted      Profile for Homeworld   Email Homeworld         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm intrigued. What a grossly unpleasant little environment Dorn is in...

I would hope to get more description about who/what is doing all the disgusting feeding beyond the windows.

The "can't go home alone" line feels stilted and cliched to me at this point. Maybe it would work better for me later on, when I have a better sense of place and situation.

It seems that Dorn's world isn't completely overrun by these things, unless his contemplation of buying an iPod is purely sarcastic.

Personally, I would probably start with "It was the chewing that drove him mad." Unless the music player reference is more than just an ironic or sarcastic statement, for me it detracts from what is otherwise a pretty effective opening paragraph.

When is this set? "Walkman" and "iPod" make me think of the modern world, but "crockery" and "ink-pots" felt more archaic.

Overall, I think you have a very interesting opening. I definitely want to read more.

KMB

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gingivere
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Gingivere   Email Gingivere         Edit/Delete Post 
Dorn is an interesting guy, to be sure. I'm also wondering just what these creatures are. They definitely sound pretty vicious, and the screams mentioned seem to indicate, at least to me, that they're eating something humanoid. I wonder why they don't view Dorn as food as well.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Txindoki
Member # 3288

- posted      Profile for Txindoki           Edit/Delete Post 

Contains rude words - for those of a sensitve disposition:

"for shit sake, and to bugger off" & “You just can’t bloody go home again,”

These "britishisms" don't quite ring true. In the first phrase, as a foul-mouthed brit I'd probably use "for ****'s sake..." or more likely "for christ's sake", the latter usually when expressing frustration. For shit's sake leaps out of the page as an unnatural construction or worse, bowdlerism.

The second phrase has a funny rythm that just doesn't sound right, and I would leave the "bloody" out of it. Less is more in this case I feel.

Other than that, I for one want to know more!

Posts: 5 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Txindoki
Member # 3288

- posted      Profile for Txindoki           Edit/Delete Post 
AH - looks like the F word is prohibited. Oops.

Sorry!

Posts: 5 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Why can't people just read the user agreement? I know you saw it, you have to scroll to the button at the bottom and click to signal your agreement.

Anyway, American's also say "bloody". Many of them are quite a bit more likely to say that than to drop the F-bomb. And though I enjoyed Sean of the Dead, I would probably balk at that many uses of the F-word in print.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
As a Brit of 46 years, I've never heard anyone say "for shit sake" (or "for shit's sake"), so if that's intended as a Britishism, it didn't ring true to me. "Bugger off" is perfect, and the image of someone leaning out of the window telling the flesh-eating creatures to "bugger off" because he doesn't like their incessant chewing noises is just a wonderful hook.

I am curious about the setting, but the conflict of "Walkman or iPod" with zombie flesh-eaters (plus the deft writing) is more than enough for me to read on and find out what's happening (I am afraid I really can't agree with wbriggs, here - the last thing I want is an initial explanation of how and why there are zombies (or whatever) outside Dorn's window, I want to be drawn in to the story first and allow the setting to coalesce naturally).

The one jarring note for me is that, although it's strongly implied that the creatures are eating humans, they don't see Dorn as "food" - if there's something that makes Dorn different (i.e. he's a robot or something) then we need to know that immediately.

I'd definitely read on.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dckafka
Member # 3258

- posted      Profile for dckafka   Email dckafka         Edit/Delete Post 
Some very good feedback here. Thanks all around. I've made some adjustments and am moving ahead with this piece. Once I've finished the first three chapters I'll post again looking for readers.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.