Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Lumos (SF, ~68K words)

Author Topic: Lumos (SF, ~68K words)
Homeworld
Member # 3136

- posted      Profile for Homeworld   Email Homeworld         Edit/Delete Post 
Lumos is the first story in what has become a trilogy. It was actually the second story written of the three, and is a complete reworking of another story which I started back in 1989 (and shelved in 1990).

The manuscript is complete and has gone through several full revisions.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

=============================

Lieutenant Davis Alexander braced himself as his sleek craft accelerated down the KSCS Calderon's launch rail at maximum thrust. The accelerometer read two gees of acceleration--then two-point-five, three... Four as the sleek craft shot into open space. The familiar crush of momentum and surge of adrenalin never grew old. He grinned like a cadet.

"Lieutenant Alexander, this is Calderon Operations. You have cleared the launch bay," came a voice across his linker. "Transferring flight control to you."

"Acknowledged," Davis replied. "Assuming control now."

He swept back over Calderon's dorsal hull. The plan called for a scripted, no-frills test run--but as this would be the last test before the very real, very dangerous mission to Lumos, he intended to

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
petrovski
Member # 3350

- posted      Profile for petrovski           Edit/Delete Post 
You have made a decent start to a story. I would be interested in reading more.

Here are some specific things you did well. One, you have clearly identified the point-of-view character. We know his name, and we get a glimpse of his personality. Second, you have established the setting, which from my rusty memory seems slightly reminiscent of Heinlein's Starship Troopers. Third, you introduce the problem or difference in the character's life that will make the story interesting.

To make this opening better you may want to consider revising/shortening some of your longer more wordy sentences. I had to read your first and last sentence twice to catch their meaning.

Overall, this is a good start.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty good.

Tiny nit: he grins like a cadet. You could add, "which he practically was" or "boy, that was a long time ago."

I don't know if I would keep reading. It would depend on the blurb. This doesn't hook me, but then, it's a novel: if it's going to be about something I like, I'll be patient.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homeworld
Member # 3136

- posted      Profile for Homeworld   Email Homeworld         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I love this forum. I either get confirmation of something that was gnawing at me but I wasn't sure how (or if) to change, or I get articulate insight into something --major or minor -- that I hadn't even considered previously.

Me and short vs. long sentences... it's a constant struggle. Sometimes the sentences defeat me, but I haven't given up the fight just yet.

Thanks very much for the feedback.

KMB

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. Couple of nits, you should specify the class of vessel launching him rather than using its name in the first line, we get the name twice more anyway. You can apply that nit to the craft being launched as well, as it stands you call it "sleek craft" twice. The other nit was a plausibility issue, there'd be no reason to gradually increase the acceleration as you depict it. It's actually better to have maximum acceleration from the cold start and then taper off at release (the reasons are a bit complex, but basically come down to power consumption and control). If you gave us some believable numbers for his relative velocity leaving the ship (and perhaps why he needs to be going that fast, if your tech is advanced enough), that would be better anyway.

I didn't get any flashes from Starship Troopers, I don't even recall that carrier/fighter operations were mentioned in the book (desperately trying to block movie from memory forever). But yes, maybe a little danger of Wing Commander flashes. I really liked the games, though. So you've got a cliche flag, but it's not one worth avoiding (and probably not one you can avoid for this story).

So, couple of minor nits and a flag. I still like the pace and impact of this.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
Starship Troopers (the book, not the movie) didn't have carriers and fighters, but the system of dropping soldiers onto a planet did involve a tube-launch system where the soldiers were ejected in pods.

Although Survivor makes a good point about the violence of a cat shot (going from 0 to 160+ mph in a distance of less than 300ft in less than two seconds means way more than two gees), that is only necessary to get sufficient airflow over the lifting area - not a concern in space.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking that maybe they need him to be going that fast so he can clear the defense screen and engage his own screens and drive. Putting in a line relevant to that might help, but I'll call it optional for now.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.