Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Loner (was Lol woke...) - alt univ short story

Author Topic: Loner (was Lol woke...) - alt univ short story
umlando
Member # 3338

- posted      Profile for umlando           Edit/Delete Post 
[Thanks for all the input on the earlier version (Lol woke). Started from scratch. 1200 words so far but massively revising.]
---
Don the Loner's last day on earth ended like any other. He wrangled his carts back from the recycling center and stashed them under the overpass. He stood at the light before the onramp and smiled one last, painful time for a dollar. "Hope yall goda Hell," he growled, and hit the McDumpster on his way back. He found enough to live another day, kept the money and stalked homeward, his stringy hair swaying with his slow, stiff steps. "Honey, I'm home!" Don shouted to himself, lay back on fresh cardboard, and cursed quietly till his eyelids sank shut.

He awoke to silence and light, and leapt to his feet. Where the hell is the overpass? The look of alarm on Don's face softened into joy. "They did it!" he roared, "They really went to Hell! Ha!"

Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Much better, in many ways. But still a little lacking in real characterization and POV usage.

This is shaping up to be a character story, where the inner journey of the protagonist is the main focus. It also will have a strong milieu element, but the milieu is there mostly to lead the character's inner journey. For such a story to work, you have to paint the starting point of this character in vivid and believable detail. We need to understand him, sympathize with even his most unlovable characteristics. We need to see the world, our world, as he sees it.

Of course you're not going to get this kind of detail in a story of only 1200 words, that's barely enough to initialize this character.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
umlando
Member # 3338

- posted      Profile for umlando           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice pointers, Survivor. I thought of this as a character driven story, but I'm unaware enough of the landscape to even know to consider that a genre.

I'm going to work with Don on appealing to the readers from the get-go. He's got the pathos for readers to sympathize with (the last, painful dollar) and the humor (okay, maybe he's not that funny, but he's trying with the "Honey, I'm home!").

I'm thinking I can cram in some more sympathy-inspiring aspect to his interaction with the world in the first 13. He's resourceful and thrifty, hard-working and sober, and very, very bitter. I'm not sure yet how to exploit the narrator's pov to make Don more sympathetic, but I'll read up around the site and beyond.

Yeah, yeah - clueless noob, but I'm on that learning curve, many thanks for the help!

Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The key is to give yourself longer to establish Loner's character before you hit us with the "hook" of his change in venue. That's important to the story, true, but the story is about Loner, not the milieu. Loner has to be the hook. The opening should concentrate on him.

Spend some time with him. Listen to what he has to say, in his deepest heart.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the feel to your first paragraph, which provides a lot of information about Loner without intruding on the reader. I like the character. The mood gets interrupted in the second paragraph, when I'm seeing what Loner sees, then I am observing his expression, and then I'm looking for the overpass again.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Survivor. Who is Don? I know what he is doing, I know that he's homeless, but everything you mentioned about him in your replies doesn't come out to me atleast in the first thirteen.(he's sober and hardworking) If he's hard working, does he choose to be homeless? I do get the bitterness and I liked the 'honey I'm home'.
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Just as a comment, back in the late 1980's I did volunteer work for an organization that served the homeless. I edited their newsletter, interviewed homeless folk, took photos, published stories written by the homeless.

One of the characteristics that always struck me was that the long-term homeless seem to have given up hope. They've settled into their routines, and they have no hope that life will ever change. Bitterness is usually found with the newly homeless... young people thrust into the streets through loss of job, loss of family, drugs and alcohol. But the old-timers who have many years -- sometimes 10 years or more -- on the streets, have developed a sense of apathy about life or anything improving. They are often very subdued, and apologetic about bothering you. It's heart-wrenching in a way that is hard to explain.

None of this is particularly directed at your story; just a general observation I made about personality types amongst the homeless.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.