Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Morning's End

Author Topic: Morning's End
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first 13 lines of a rewrite of my previous traditional fantasy story now called, "Morning's End." (Thanks Sholar for all of the great advice!)

The total story is under 3,000 words and I am hoping to garner critiques from those willing to read the entire piece. Thanks again everyone for all of your help.

It was a cold summer morning when Hestan followed his mother, Emerle, through the threshold and into the human lands. Long past harvest, the grain swayed heavily in the blood-red dawn as their horses plodded down the narrow path toward a small farm nestled between a trio of nearby hills. He didn’t want to be here, but rumors had reached the High Fey, bourne on the wings and clawed feet of the lesser that Emerle could not ignore.
Watching over her small form as they approached the barns and hovel, Hestan dropped his hand to the pommel of his sword. Humans could be just as trick-some as their immortal counterpart. The Lesser Fey’s reports were notoriously unreliable, but it was their sheer volume that stirred Emerle who then roused Hestan from his brooding to accompany her.

[This message has been edited by mommiller (edited May 04, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by mommiller (edited May 04, 2006).]

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
This is pretty good, but it needs a little narrative focus in my opinion. For instance, the very last sentence of the above fragment truly belongs as the last sentence in the first paragraph, where it's relevant. Where it is now feels a little off to me, because I thought we were moving on after already developing rumors.

And after reading the fragment several times, I'm very much of the opinion that we shouldn't yet know Emerle's name, because her name seems to muddle things up and I forgot (sadly) who we are supposed to be following. Anyway, most children think of their parents as Mom and Dad (or mother and father, ma or pa, what have you) and simply saying Mother will do wonders to unmuddle the intro whilst strengthening the POV of the apparent MC. Of course, perhaps the MC does call Mother "Emerle," and then it's perfectly fine to leave her name in, but I would hope it's developed later in the story why that is (maybe it's Fey thing).

My final point is: "threshold" of what? A door? A portal? Some other magical thing? This is need-to-know info, in my opinion. In other words, where are these people from? The good, though, is that at least we know we they are heading.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JarrodHenry
Member # 2800

- posted      Profile for JarrodHenry   Email JarrodHenry         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good.

Offhand thoughts..

You do a lot of telling, but I think you'd get people closer if you did more showing. It's cold, but how cold is it? What does the cold feel like?

I also think that your setence structure seems too verbose. The last sentence especially is a bit irksome. On the whole, I don't think I'd be hooked by this because I don't like the opening to introduce too many foreign concepts to me.

But I know many who would be..

[This message has been edited by JarrodHenry (edited May 04, 2006).]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deRost
Member # 3089

- posted      Profile for deRost   Email deRost         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with HSO -- I'll re-iterate some of those points anyways. Here are a few nits:

The threshold is not clear. I take it they have just traveled from one land to another?

Naming Emerle so early in the paragraph takes away from my image of a child following his/her mother. It makes it seem too formal.

"...the grain swayed heavily in the blood-red dawn..." Dawn is not wind, nor is it's effect on things physical in the sense of movement. Saying that the "grain swayed heavily in the breeze, tinted pink in the blood-red light of dawn" might be more effective. At the same time however, red doesn't compliment the image of it being cold outside. I personally associate cold mornings with overcast clouds, or pale, diffused sunlight. Again, let us know how the MC feels. Show it. Can he/she see their breath? Are their muscles tense or aching? I don't know much about Fey's, but do they like the cold, or do they hate it? Even if you only describe the weather/surroundings in one sentence, if you add a few words here and there to other sentences to re-enforce it, it can be a tremendous mood-setter.

That second line also seems run-on somehow, but I think I am guilty also, looking back at what I just wrote.

Finally, the last line of paragraph two would be more effective at the tail end of paragraph one, so I agree with HSO there also.

Now all that being said, I feel I HAVE been hooked. My nits are minor things that people run into all the time, myself double-included. Nice work! Sounds very interesting.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoctivigantR
Member # 3389

- posted      Profile for NoctivigantR   Email NoctivigantR         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read this if you send it to me.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shendülféa
Member # 2964

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this beginning, but to me it seems like it would better serve as the opening to a novel, not a short story. I get the sense that this is going to be a long, epic tale instead of a 3,000 word story. I think that because it has a narrative focus, as HSO pointed out, makes it feel that way.
Posts: 107 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It starts off pretty well, but you're dropping into backfill by the third sentance, and that makes it hard to stay in the character's present. I can take a look at it if you like.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be glad to take a look at it for you.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
First two sentences are very clear, although they don't motivate me yet. (My issue with threshold was the word "through": I can go *across* a threshold, but I can't picture "through." I assumed, rightly or wrongly, that Hestan was going through the door to the outside.)

>a small farm

Theirs? If not, whose, or why are they going there?

>He didn’t want to be here, but rumors had reached the High Fey, bourne on the wings and clawed feet of the lesser that Emerle could not ignore.

Argh! What rumors? What's a lesser? How does Hestan have access to things that reach the High Fey? This is maddening to me -- not knowing what rumors Hestan is reacting to.

>Watching over her small form as they approached the barns and hovel, Hestan dropped his hand to the pommel of his sword.

I thought Hestan was a farmer. I'm confused now as to what he is.

>Humans could be just as trick-some as their immortal counterpart.

Who is it that's human here -- Hestan, or some other group?

>The Lesser Fey’s reports were notoriously unreliable, but it was their sheer volume that stirred Emerle who then roused Hestan from his brooding to accompany her

By this point I'd have given up on finding out what was happening, and closed the book.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Woodie
Member # 3346

- posted      Profile for Woodie   Email Woodie         Edit/Delete Post 
I gather that this is not Hestan's farm and he is not human--so that part did not confuse me.

>He didn’t want to be here, but rumors had reached the High Fey, bourne on the wings and clawed feet of the lesser that Emerle could not ignore.<

The last part of this sentence threw me. I read it a couple of times before I guessed that the clawed feet and wings belong to some kind of bird messanger--like an owl. If so, it would have followed this whole thing better if you had said that out right.

>Watching over her small form as they approached the barns and hovel, Hestan dropped his hand to the pommel of his sword.<

From the first paragraph I picture Hestan as a sulking little boy, not someone who out be carrying a sword or protecting his little mother.

And lastly, I agree with HSO that the last sentence should go at the end of paragraph one.

Posts: 88 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

Thanks everyone for your help. I greatly appreciate it.

NoctivigantR, Survivor, and Kickle, the remainder is on its way and I look forward to reading you comments in getting this piece knocked into shape.

Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by mommiller (edited May 05, 2006).]

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a nice start. I like the idea of rumors being brought by animals. Your scene does feel a little unfocused, and I like the suggestion to move the last sentence.

I can add a thought that comes from growing up in a farming community. "Long past harvest, the grain swayed heavily..." Does this mean nobody bothered to harvest? And you might be more specific to which kind of grain you mean, because the way crops deteriorate if left untended varies with type. If gone that far, most would be brown and brittle and have lost their seed tops.

In general, I'd keep reading for sure, because you hooked me despite any criticisms that have been offered.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also having a hard time relating to the grain situation... there's a lot of wheat in my region, and it's harvested in August when it's hotter than the hubs of Hades. You aren't going to GET a "cold" summer morning then. I concur on the fact that grain that is left unharvested will swiftly shed itself of the grain... like any fruiting plant, if the fruit isn't collected it will fall. You have maybe a couple weeks of a window to harvest, so saying it's "long past" harvest is a contradiction.

I think what you are trying to convey perhaps is that the growing season is off kilter... if so, I suggest you say so in specific words so we don't have to guess at your meaning, rather than vague references that may not be logical with how grain harvest actually happens.

When you say "bourne on the wings and clawed feet of the lesser that Emerle could not ignore," you lost me. My first question is: lesser WHAT? I presume you meant "Lesser Fey" which you said later in the paragraph. Don't wait to use the full name. I need to know that NOW.

I'm also confused because "Fey" is a term I equate with elves or elf-like creatures. I think tall, slender, perhaps hostile (to humans), immortal, but with human-like physical characteristics. You can step outside my pre-assumed imagery a little... but when you say they have claws and wings, I am thinking more in a gremlin gargoyle image. So at this point all my assumptions about what a "fey" creature is are obviously irrelevant and I'm back to the point that I am confused as to what these beings really are. Are the Lesser ones the same as the Greater ones? What are the differences? What makes one lesser?

I'm not fond of having a hyphen in "trick-some"... particularly since "tricksome" is a fine word without the adornment.

You say the "Lesser Fey's reports were notoriously unreliable, but it was their sheer volume..." What do you mean by that? The sheer numbers/volume of Lesser Fey? Or the sheer volume of reports? An easy fix; just say "it was the sheer volume of reports" or whatever... use the proper noun/name instead of a generic word like "it" and "their" when you have two subjects in a single thought/sentence.

Beyond that, however, I really REALLY like the tone and the direction. I feel you have a good hook going here. I want to know more about why the grain wasn't harvested, what these Fey creatures are, and what's going on.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

Thanks everyone for all of your great advice and confidence in this story I am tying to tell.

As a newbie writer the distance between the picture in my head and the keyboard and electrons is farther than I think it is and I know clairity is not my strong suit at this point in my writing endeavors. I also have trouble in getting the right amount of information within the first 13 without going into "info-dump," mode.

Thanks again. Hopefully after this first round of critiques it will be more palatable with a second posting.

Survivor
Member # 213

You know, I was going to nit "long past harvest," because I felt you meant it as a description of the grain itself (which it should be) rather than of the time this happens, but the current structure doesn't make that clear. If you said "The grain, long past harvest," then it would be more clear that "long past harvest" means the grain itself (though I'm sure that farmers don't say that anymore).

I didn't because the construction is only ambiguous if you think that grain might still be on the stalk after harvest. I felt that keeping the reader firmly connected to the POV was more important.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

Mommiller, you may consider yourself a newbie, but from what I can see you have a very clear writing style that I think is only a short distance from being excellent. A year as a member on Hatrack has helped me a great deal. I predict that you'll improve your skills by several levels quite rapidly.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, most of what needs to be said has been said, but I would like to comment on your words "blood red dawn" from the fragment.
These words made the fragment lose realism for me. The reason is this - ever noticed how postcards and such always feature photos of sunsets and never dawns? This is because sunsets are colorful, and could indeed be blood red, but dawns are relatively colorless, the color in sunsets results from the accumulation of infrared light during the day and scattered by pollution that builds up during the day. A dawn as you describe it would only be possible in the event of something like a "minor" nuclear or volcanic winter - or a world with a very serious pollution problem. But from the rest of your descriptions this does not seem to be the case - since the growing of crops would also be difficult if not impossible. Of cours I'm making the guess that this is taking place on Earth, if not then of course this comment does not apply.

[This message has been edited by nitewriter (edited May 06, 2006).]

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

There are red mornings, but it is unusual and a very ill omen. It might be going a bit far to say "blood red", but I don't know whether Hestan has any notion beyond "very red" or "macabre" when he thinks of the color of blood.

The reddish hue to the sky is greater in the evening than morning because the air to the west has been heated all day and convection currents carry a great deal of refractive material along with water vapor and other volatiles aloft. When the sun is just rising, typically all the intervening air has been heated for only a couple of hours at most and there isn't much moisture in the air. Where this is not the case it is likely that inclement weather will ensue...if there was ongoing convection during the night then the day will likely increase it and cause a storm pattern.

Hence the old saying "red sky at morning, sailor take warning."

Blood red...I've become convinced that most people don't see blood very often, despite the fact that almost everyone is brim-full of the stuff. It's true that blood varies in hue and saturation quite a bit, since these pretty much define "color" there is a wide range of "blood red". But you almost never see it except in real blood.

Elan
Member # 2442

nitewriter, if you don't think sunrises can be colorful, you are living in the wrong part of the world. I have witnessed many sunrises that are colorfully spectacular, although i would equate the color scheme more as a pink magenta, rather than blood red. I do agree, however, that blood red is a more sunset hue.

However, given that we are discussing a fantasy story, and that there is indication the seasons are somewhat awry, we can assume the writer intends the sunrise to be blood red, which is likely to be some sort of portent.

nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 

"Nitewriter if you don't think sunrises can be colorful, you are living in the wrong part of the world." - Elan.

I think if you read what I wrote a little more carefully you will find that I did NOT say that sunrises could not be colorful, I said that they are RELATIVELY colorless. I meant relatively colorless compared to sunsets. I can't even imagine a sunrise anywhere near as intense as sunsets I've seen. Of course, if you are into magenta and soft colors, maybe.

[This message has been edited by nitewriter (edited May 08, 2006).]

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Just volunteering information, but I'm definitely living in the wrong part of the world.

Nothing to do with the morning sky (well, okay, there's a mountain to my immediate east, so "sunrise" happens about nine A.M. around here, but that's not the point).

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.