Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Untitled

Author Topic: Untitled
Grijalva
Member # 3295

- posted      Profile for Grijalva   Email Grijalva         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently working on this quick short story, and just wanted to see how the first 13 lines hold up for now.

William could hear his mom’s screams of terror down the hall; each scream was like a knife that ripped down his back. He huddled into the corner of his room, and pulled his legs close. He wanted to run out there and save her, but he was just a boy, and she told him, not to leave this room, no matter what he heard. He felt alone, and the shadows the lamplight cast seemed to take shape of evil creatures.
“Everything will be alright,” he whispered.
He closed his eyes, and opened them in hopes this was a dream, but it wasn’t. My mom can’t die, who will take care of me, she has to come for me, he thought. A loud thump shook the floor and his mom’s screams ceased; it felt-

Posts: 98 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarkG
Member # 3420

- posted      Profile for MarkG   Email MarkG         Edit/Delete Post 
good start...you may want to consider shortening your sentences though...this is an intense scene and moves fast so it's good if your sentences are short and read fast too.

keep up the good work

[This message has been edited by MarkG (edited May 10, 2006).]

Posts: 9 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
Overall, great first 13.
The first sentence was probably the best, it starts us off with action, which is what we need. I did find myself wondering how he felt the thump of (presumably) his mother's body if she was down the hallway. Just something you may want to change or think about. I would have to disagree with MarkG, I think the sentence length is good. That's about all I have to say, but one more thing: maybe you could drop the 'he felt alone'...for me, him huddling in the corner with his knees close to his chest presents the lonely image well enough.
Again, it was good, captured and held my interest all the way through.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Currently, the prose falls short of the situation's drama. You're relying too much on "there's a little boy hiding in the closet while his mother is being killed."

That's one reason I shy away from these kinds of overly dramatic openings myself. It is very difficult to do this kind of scene justice right at the beginning of the narrative, when the reader doesn't know or care much about William or his mother. To us he's just a generic boy with a generic mother. We haven't had time yet to accept them as real people, so you absolutely must sell us on the reality of this extraordinary situation. And it just doesn't work for me as written. I don't feel any sense of reality in it.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Punctuation nit:

I agree with Mark G that some of the sentences were long and cumbersome, slowing down the pace. There were a lot of commas, and some of them were misplaced (which for me really interrupted the flow of the scene). Here is one way you could take out some of the commas (although some of the sentences are still pretty long):

William could hear his mom’s screams of terror down the hall; each scream was like a knife that ripped down his back. He huddled into the corner of his room and pulled his legs close. He wanted to run out there and save her, but he was just a boy, and she told him not to leave this room no matter what he heard. He felt alone, and the shadows the lamplight cast seemed to take shape of evil creatures.
“Everything will be alright,” he whispered.
He closed his eyes, and opened them in hopes this was a dream, but it wasn’t. My mom can’t die--who will take care of me? She has to come for me, he thought. A loud thump shook the floor and his mom’s screams ceased; it felt-

Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
There are two problems with this as an opening scene. One was mentioned by Survivor... we don't yet care about the boy or his mother. I find that starting out with this sort of situation doesn't entice me into the story, rather it pushes me away.

My other main concern is you have the little boy thinking: Oh well, everything will be all right.

Um... I need to know more about the kid to buy into this line of thinking. If this is not a stranger, but is in fact an abusive dad/boyfriend killing/hurting his mom, then you are not showing your MC (assuming the little boy is the MC) in a realistic mindset. Kids raised around domestic violence lose their ability to trust early on. They know when shit is going down, and that it's going to be bad. There is no one I know who has grown up in homes with abuse (and I know a few of them) who ever ONCE thought, during a violent episode, that "things will be all right." A child raised around that loses his/her ability to believe everything will be all right, ever, pretty damned early in life. Trust -- or the lack of it -- is a learned behavior.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this fragment has some familiarity to it. In a way, that's both good and bad. Please let me explain.

The good is that a reader can instantly recognize the situation -- generally speaking, most people like things which they are familiar with. The bad is that a reader can instantly recognize the situation as having been done before, all the while recalling several similar scenarios in various stories and movies, etc., right down to the "don't leave this room no matter what you hear" part. I actually blame TV and movies (especially Quentin Tarantino's movies) for overdoing this type of scenario/beginning; indeed, it's probably permanently ingrained in our society's consciousness by now. Not to mention that in real life some families actually experience similar events.

All of that said, there's nothing wrong with familiarity, but it does present a challenge to the author to present the information in a way that seems new or fresh. Which brings me to the point I truly wanted to make:

"High Drama" at the beginning of a story, such as this fragment's presentation, may not be desirable in engaging a reader. In my opinion, while this type of intro tends to work well for movies and TV (both media often assume we have incredibly short attention spans, by the way -- and maybe we do), it usually doesn't work in written stories, even short-short stories. One thing you might consider is rolling back the story's start to just before the child and mother experience this nightmare. In other words, creating a sense of dread that hooks is far better than creating a dreadful nightmare right from the start.

And we have no idea who is killing the child's mother, which may be the point of this introduction. But prior to this scene, the mother certainly knew that something was going to happen, and therefore she told the boy to stay in his room. The boy doesn't need to know who's doing the killing (if that's your intent), but if we see his mother's fear through his eyes (creating tension and dread) before he's huddled in a room, then we'll engage with these two characters far more than we can by being thrust into a middle of a scene without context. So that's what we need: a little context before the drama begins. Just a little. Not necessarily pages of setup.

What were the boy and mother doing right before this happened? Consider starting there...

Good luck.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I'd tend to agree; start with the boy doing whatever it is he was doing, and then being interrupted by the mother, showing us her fear, her sense of urgency in trying to protect her child. That's more likely to give us an empathic bond, when the normal is disrupted, rather than starting with the abnormal.
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grijalva
Member # 3295

Ok, I see all of your points, and know what you mean.

I like the idea of starting a little before the attack, that way I can get more of what is going on, and the setting. I don’t want to focus too much on the boy and his mother, because the story is actually about the killer, but through the boy’s eyes. I just need this scene to show the boy’s hatred toward the man that killed his mom, and how he has to struggle with that through the rest of the story. I will have to take another shot at it, when I have time and probably when the overall short story is done.

Thanks, for all your comments they helped out a lot.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I love it. My only caveats are a couple of arguable POV lapses.

He wanted to run out there and save her, but he was just a boy . . .

Seems unlikely a boy would think "I am just a boy" to himself. I'd just omit that phrase.

My mom can’t die, who will take care of me . . .

Seems unlikely a terrified boy would think in such a calculating way when his mother is screaming. I know what this terror feels like (by analogy, fortunately). It isn't about what might happen in the future; it isn't about someone taking care of *me*; it's about the terror that someone might happen to Mom, right now.

When you're done, I want to read.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just need this scene to show the boy’s hatred toward the man that killed his mom, and how he has to struggle with that through the rest of the story.

I don't think you need this scene for that. Showing hatred and knowing why are two different things and can be developed numerous ways. You could conceivably create an outstanding intro hook by starting later and showing the boy's hatred for the killer in various ways, which might create suspense and mystery (as long as things are not needlessly withheld of course). Seeing Mom die isn't necessary. We only need to know that the killer killed Mom; we certainly don't need all the gory details to effect the boy's hatred, not in real time anyway.

But then again, starting earlier and showing the gory avoids a flashback (or the temptation to write one) later in the story. It all depends on how things are developed, character interactions and so forth.

Really, don't think you absolutely have to show this scene for us to understand the boy's plight, because there are about a million-plus ways to do what you want without it. What is important is that the event happened. Whether it is shown is, of course, completely up to you.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited May 11, 2006).]

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grijalva
Member # 3295

Yeah, thats what I was thinking too. I almost felt by showing this scene it might take away from what I was really trying to get across through the whole story.

Stories always seem like one big puzzle, and can be put together in any order you want. But anyways thanks HSO, your comments helped out quite a bit.

[This message has been edited by Grijalva (edited May 11, 2006).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.