Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The 10th Prophecy/Fantasy/Feedback is Desired :)

Author Topic: The 10th Prophecy/Fantasy/Feedback is Desired :)
Bryden88
Member # 3424

- posted      Profile for Bryden88   Email Bryden88         Edit/Delete Post 
Darkness came over him as flames licked and bit at his skin. Rusty chains were pulled and he felt his body tightening and stretching, his muscles pulling and ripping, snapping and crunching. A hammer's strike, and sparks flew. Grinding of metal on metal, and the agony of pain sounded loudly. Small incantations and pain began to subside. A flash of a bright light, and then it was over. He focused and once more he saw.

The magically enchanted eyes gave him sight. He sat up and gazed around, his ruby eyes scrutinizing everything around him. He flexed his right arm. His artificial arm, grafted onto him, and made of the most solid adamandite. The repairs were complete, and the final enchanting was finished. The arm and gauntlet felt good. Geddock, King of the Orcs, was satisfied.

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a short story or novel? Do you want feedback on just the first 13 or are you looking for readers for longer sections?

I was confused. The first paragraph reads like a burning at the stake (first line) and then torture on the rack. It was graphic enough and at this point, senseless enough, that I read with my eyes closed. Okay, so not literally but I was wondering why I was reading it and wouldn't have if it wasn't here. Give me some hint why this is happening to the character, who may be the MC or not, before going far into the graphic details.

The magically enchanted eyes gave him sight.

"magically enhanted" is redundant.

He flexed his right arm. His artificial arm, grafted onto him, and made of the most solid adamandite.

Try combining these two: He flexed his artifical right arm made of solid adamandite.

The repairs were complete, and the final enchanting was finished.

Repairs?? It didn't sound like repairs when I was reading it.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bryden88
Member # 3424

Its the prologue of a novel Well... just the first lines of it, though I'd love to get readers for longer sections, like the entire prologue perhaps.

Also he is -a- main character, but certainly not on the forces of good. I was aiming for building up the anticipation of trying to figure out whats going on... getting a sense that this fiend is very much a strong and powerful being

[This message has been edited by Bryden88 (edited May 14, 2006).]

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
In the first paragraph, I thought he was being tortured, and wondered why he didn't seem to care.

Then we find it's some sort of magic construction. I was confused.

Give us a name up front. If he's king of the orcs, tell us immediately -- after all, he knows!

Some of the confusion I felt can be addressed by avoiding passive voice (and yes, I know what I just did!).

Rusty chains were pulled --> Geddock's slaves pulled the rusty chains on him

A hammer's strike --> So-and-so struck such-and-such with a hammer

The agony of pain sounded loudly --> Geddock cried out in pain.

This would help me.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Geddock's right arm also his grafted, artificial arm? Should the following two sentences be one sentence for clarity sake?

quote:
He flexed his right arm. His artificial arm, grafted onto him, and made of the most solid adamandite.

Because that second sentence in the above is a sentence fragment as is. If combined with the previous one, it makes sense. The rule (according to Strunk and White's The Elements of Style) is "Do not break sentences in two!" [I've excerpted it below...]

Therefore, consider joining them by replacing the period with a comma (or maybe something else).

Excerpt:

6. Do not break sentences in two.

In other words, do not use periods for commas.

quote:
I met them on a Cunard liner several years ago. Coming home from Liverpool to New York.

He was an interesting talker. A man who had traveled all over the world, and lived in half a dozen countries.

In both these examples, the first period should be replaced by a comma, and the following word begun with a small letter.

End Excerpt

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited May 15, 2006).]

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
I second the comment about "magically enchanted." Redundant.

The entire section would read easier if you gave his name earlier. I don't know if you must jump right to his title, but a name would help.

I like the first paragraph well enough, it's strange and disjointed and reflects how the character would perceive what is happening. However, it is a confusing place for the reader to start. It might work better if you start somewhere less chaotic.

The second paragraph could certainly be strengthened by eliminating the passive voice. You seem to be creating a very strong character, let your writing reinforce that.

While there are certainly other references to "orcs", IMHO the word primarily recalls Tolkein. Unless you mean to reference his world and his characters, you might want to use another name for your creatures. Whatever you mean to be writing, if you use "orc" a number of your readers will be thinking about Tolkein's middle earth.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bryden88
Member # 3424

Heh the orcs thing, alot of fantasy writers use... not just Tolkien but Salvatore and others as well.... just gotta find a new name I guess... Hmmm... back to the workshop where orc will be replaced by a different name
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I can sort of see what you're trying to do with this initial text. Try dropping all personal pronouns out of the text (recast where necessary), and I think you're much closer. In other words, you're going for objective.

Objective isn't always a mistake, but it does strike me as rather a common diversion from the real meat of an opening. The author wants to kick off with a dramatic image...and forgets that it takes energy on the reader's part to see what is described. Readers are conscious of this, though. They know that they have to sit there and think about it for a minute to imagine the scene you're describing.

That's why it's usually better to start off with a character POV, even if it's an unsympathetic character.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.