Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Menesker Magic and Migration

Author Topic: Menesker Magic and Migration
RCSHIELDS
Member # 3362

- posted      Profile for RCSHIELDS   Email RCSHIELDS         Edit/Delete Post 
These are the opening ten lines of longer story.

Always begin at the beginning. Magic coming into being is this story’s beginning. The roots of magic are neither shrouded in the depths of time nor hidden in the mist of mysticism; the roots of magic grow deeply within each of us.

Sooren was a gentle soul whose family, friends, and neighbors were the best brutes of a brutal age. Amidst all the hate, anger, and fear that go hand in glove with the violence of his time, Sooren discovered that magic is a part of the human condition. All are capable of magic in the same way all can taste, smell, feel, hear, see, walk, and talk. Perhaps more importantly, he discovered that one’s perception of one’s environment alters as one masters the use of the five senses, balance, and mobility, communication, and the untwining of the forces of nature.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a curious opening. It seems that you're going for a sort of...naturalist's approach to this story. But you don't really pull it off quite well enough to engage me.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lorien
Member # 2037

- posted      Profile for Lorien   Email Lorien         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like an interesting concept with great potential. The opening seems...choppy to me, almost like a data dump of information at the begining. It was difficult to read. Perhaps we could learn some things along with Sooren later on?
Posts: 116 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omakase
Member # 2915

- posted      Profile for Omakase   Email Omakase         Edit/Delete Post 
This opening struck me as trying too hard.
Instead of coming off as a renaissance man's view of magic, it struck me as if the narrator was a wanne-be renaissance man.

The alliteration was too blunt and jumped out of the story at me, which is obviously bad: it should be seamless.
It seems like you are just trying to jam too much in here, particularly in the last two sentences. You lost me in the last sentence with the repetitive use of "one" for a pronoun. It is awkward sounding.

Posts: 179 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
You don't really specify a time frame, so this could, in theory, be contemporary. Lots of people would argue our current age is pretty brutal...there's a lot of hate, anger, and fear, at any rate. I would also present the notion that not everyone has command of all five senses, nor the ability to walk and talk.

The fragment is a bit heavy-handed, giving lots of dense theory and not much story. It reads more like a blurb, and would stand as a rather good blurb. There's too much philosophy and background, not enough character and action. The tone is too detached to draw me in. But the information is interesting, and would make me want to read the story...if the hook backed up what the blurb promises.

One nit - "Magic coming into being is this story's beginning." There are too many -ings in that sentence.

All that said, I really like the idea. It has a "druid" feel to it, and I like Survivor's description of "naturalist's approach." You are definitely onto something interesting. If you can make Sooren more real, and lighten the tone, it will be a great read.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 3384

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you need the first paragraph at all. The information you need, but you don't need it yet, and you don't need to be so blunt about it. I suppose it could work if you were going for a very scholarly tone for the book, but even then, I'd put it further along.

The description of Sooren's family is a good bit. I like the contrast of the brutality of the family and the world with Sooren. It's a good way to start to get to know him, but I want to get to know him a little more. Either that, or I want to see more of his family.

Those are the meaty bits, and by telling me about them, what they're like and how they conform or stand out from the world, you're telling me about the world at the same time.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
5 different responses, and I'm about to give you another. I think that when you get a lot of different responses, there really is something wrong, but your readers aren't sure what. That may include me.

My problem is twofold: a lot of abstract stuff; and not much concrete. I know that Sooren exists in society; that's concrete. Everything else is interpreted, and I'm not sure what some of it means (the magic stuff).

Eventually, you'll get to a specific time and place, right? Maybe start there. Or if you start with summary, maybe it could be specific, a summary of relevant details, such as, "Sooren's mother had warned him not to awaken the evil robot monkeys. After the fire they set destroyed his house, his bicycle, and his eyebrows ..."

Abstraction can work, but maybe in smaller doses.

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited May 18, 2006).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RCSHIELDS
Member # 3362

- posted      Profile for RCSHIELDS   Email RCSHIELDS         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your posts in such a short time. I'm particularly grateful to those of you who carefully pick and choose the fragments you respond to. I believe MightyCow is correct in saying the first paragraph is unnecessary. That would lighten the tone and allow more room to expand on the time frame and Sooren's circumstances.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
colorbird
Member # 3425

- posted      Profile for colorbird           Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, I liked the first paragraph better than the second. The first paragraph reminded me of the little bit before the start of Dune, where Irulan is explaining how she chose to begin Paul's story. Setting it apart like that might help things along.
Posts: 28 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Woodie
Member # 3346

- posted      Profile for Woodie   Email Woodie         Edit/Delete Post 
This felt prologue-ish to me. I would much rather be shown these facts instead of having them dumped on me. IMO start with Sooren and his relationship to his family and the brutal society--give me a character to sympathize with.
Posts: 88 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.