Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » What Lies Between The Worlds

Author Topic: What Lies Between The Worlds
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
SF, 3670 words. Looking for a few readers, but any comments on first 13 are welcome.

---------------------------------------------------

There wasn’t a sun.

There should have been a sun. There has to be a sun, when you come out of underspace. When the probability wave collapses, it’s gravity that drives the wave function. So we had to be in a gravity well. But there was nothing on the screens. Just a million distant points of light.

“Ms Benet,” the captain said, crisp and clearly unhappy, “would you like to tell me where we are?”

I bit back the obvious, unhelpful reply and settled for the facts.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it.
Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm. I'll take a bite out of it for ya!
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
This is good. So good I googled "gravity well," and found a bunch of cool sites to bookmark and go back to later. Not only would I keep reading what you've wrote, I kept reading other stuff related to what you wrote. (I also learned how to spell Schwarzschild, even if I'll never be able to say it like Simon Prebble.)

The only suggestion I have is that you drop the last "the." As in, "...and settled for facts."

Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks good. I have a bit of a nit on the last couple of sentances in your first paragraph, those need to be one sentance and you need to change "just" to "except/but". Setting them up as independent statements allows them to directly contradict each other, which is not your intent.

Aside from that, I'd like a little more characterization of the captain. Not much, but a name would be nice. Or you could just capitalize "the Captain". I would also try seeing if putting the speaker first helps that line. It may not.

But overall, definitely interesting. I'd like to read more.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse D
Member # 3241

- posted      Profile for Jesse D   Email Jesse D         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. One of the best openings I've read on here. I'd read it, if you're still looking for readers.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree with Survivor that you should capitalize "Captain." In my opinion, a lower case "c" is appropriate for identifying the type of officer. An upper case "c" would be used for a specific officer. The first is a noun, the second is a title.

But I agree with Survivor that the opening is interesting.

I'm just a little bothered by the "million points of light" because it brings up memories of George Bush Sr... which is enough to take me out of the story just a wee bit. But I can manage to get over that...

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
It does seem interesting.

Couple of nits:

What is a crisp captain?

quote:
I bit back the obvious, unhelpful reply and settled for the facts.

What is the obvious reply?
It isn't obvious to me... but then no-one has ever accused me of being quick-off-the-mark.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited May 24, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks for the comments. Survivor; good point about the contradiction. Maybe "There was nothing on the screen; nothing but a million distant points of light."

And yes, I'm aware of the potential reference there... I may amend it for that reason.

On its way to HSO, wbriggs, Survivor, djvdakota and JesseD, as they specifically requested it. Novice, Elan, hoptoad; let me know if you actualy do want the whole thing (I only send it out to those who are absolutely explicit...).

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
A strong openning with a definite hook. It looks as though you have enough volunteers, but if you need another reader--send it my way. wolf_dude64@yahoo.com
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, yes I would be happy to read it.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited May 24, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

There probably is such a thing as too many critiques, but I haven't reached that stage yet.

On its way to you two.

Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't volunteer to read as I'm sort of pressed for time right now, but if you don't mind waiting a while I would take a look at it. Send it to buce@charter.net
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.