Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Straight and Narrow Jacket (in 3rd this time)

Author Topic: The Straight and Narrow Jacket (in 3rd this time)
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
It was foolish to use the tiny Middle East Center computer lab after cutting Dr. Muamar’s class that morning. Maybe on some level Franc wanted to get caught. She was staring at the door collecting her next sentence for the overdue linguistics term paper when he appeared in the stream of faces thronging through the hall of the humanities building.

She looked down but his brows folded as he realized he was angry at her. He leaned in the door and shifted his load of papers and dictionaries to one arm so he could wag a finger at her. “You, I don’t like this. Not at all. I teach a class, and then you must come see me in my office.” He paused just long enough to ascertain that she wasn’t raising any objections and strode away.

How had things reached this point? At the beginning of 101 when

<edited to fit 13 line rule. --2nd asst.>

[This message has been edited by pooka (edited June 12, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Second Assistant (edited June 13, 2006).]

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanglier
Member # 1313

- posted      Profile for Tanglier   Email Tanglier         Edit/Delete Post 
It's busy. There is quite a bit going on. That's not a bad thing, from my point of view. The problem is that none of it, and this is going to sound harsh, is terribly interesting.

This worries me as an editor because it calls into question your eye for a story. What's supposed to be compelling here?

The exoticism of a Middle East Center, Arabic names or the matronymic?

Here is the deal, if the plot is really good, none of this will matter. The last two sentences offer some hope, but I don't know.

Then again, I'm one of those guys who likes to be told what's going on so that I can understand it, and you are showing me, which, according to most people who talk about fiction, you are supposed to do.

[This message has been edited by Tanglier (edited June 12, 2006).]

Posts: 193 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Just a reminder, Pooka... that last paragraph is over your alloted 13. Can you fill us in on genre? word count? what level of critique you are seeking?
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Questions I had on the first two paragraphs:

You say she's using the "Middle East Center" computer lab. Uh... can you define this location better? If you are going to mention "Middle East" you'd better clarify for us if she is in Saudi Arabia, or in New York in a college lab that offers study curriculum about the middle east.

I am confused with the phrase: "collecting her next sentence." What the heck is that supposed to mean? I can't even make a good guess. Sentences aren't things to collect, like coins. Do you mean she's translating a sentence? Be more clear, and more graphic.

Don't use a generic pronoun like "he" when introducing a character. Mentioning she had cut Dr. Muamar's class is not sufficient for a lead in. This "he" could be a myriad of other people... a fellow student, a janitor, a different teacher. Dont' be shy about using character names; it saves the reader much confusion.

Saying "he" appeard in the stream of faces thronging through the hall..." This imagery is confusing to me. Is she STANDING in the hall? But you said she was in the lab? And staring at the door? Maybe mention the people are passing by the open door. The way you have it phrased, it seems to conflict with your establishment of her location as being inside a lab.

"His brows folded..." Brows don't fold. They furrow.

The way you phrased "I teach a class, and then you must come see me in my office," is structured oddly. Is there some reason you aren't using proper grammar? Let me guess: if you are trying to convey an accent, it's not coming through clearly.

My 2 cents.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

Well, it's for a novel so supposedly it's not hanging on the first 13, or at least that's what I understand. Oh, let me go see if Mary answered my question about 3rd person. The genre is "crazy person" genre (with Franc being the MC, not Muamar.)
Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
So: what makes a story interesting? I can think of these 3 things:
* "This is scary"
* "This is funny"
* "What a cool idea!"
* "This writing is beautiful" (very rare, for me)

I know, we'll give more leeway on a novel. Still, I would like to know something other than that Franc's skipping class. Is the reason interesting, maybe?

Suggest you pick an identifiably female name for MC, unless there's good reason.

Suggest "when he appeared" become "when Dr. Muamar appeared." This, plus the woman being named Franc, had me puzzling for a moment over who did what in that sentence.

[Note: I was trying to follow the first-13 rule, and didn't read the last paragraph. That may have cleared things up . . . but what I said still applies, IMHO, for the first two.]

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited June 13, 2006).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I just like commas. I think it would read easier with more of them. (i.e. "She was staring at the door, collecting her next sentence for the overdue linguistics term paper, when he appeared...")

The first sentence in the second paragraph has a weird POV shift. "She looked down...he realized."

I like this. I like the third paragraph, especially, as it starts letting the reader see a bit more of this MC's relationship with her teacher, and more of her life. It is both busy in intent and slow on action, but a novel has more leeway in the first 13 than a story. I'd keep reading.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The culture shock of being treated as a liar for asserting motherhood of a child who died in infancy is the center of this opening. But it doesn't appear till after the cut-off point for a first half-page.

So you have to make the opening introduce her sense of culture shock simple, leave the particulars for later. You also need to be careful about pronoun use in the first couple of paragraphs.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
The POV shift really threw me. And I didn't really understand the point about the matronymic. Are you saying she took a name indicating she had a son ("Franc, mother of Abou"?).
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanglier
Member # 1313

- posted      Profile for Tanglier   Email Tanglier         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me be more constructive:

"It was foolish to use the tiny Middle East Center computer lab after cutting Dr. Muamar’s class that morning."

"after cutting Dr. Muamar's class that morning," confuses more than it clarifies. And that's big deal, considering it's the first sentence of the piece, for a few reasons. What was foolish about it? The cutting, the fact that it was Muamar's class, or that it was a morning class. Why is the word "tiny" there to describe the computer lab? And starting a piece with such a passively constructed sentence is dangerous business. And just saying something is foolish is telling and not showing.

Here is what I want. I want to know what the protagonist feared. I stead of saying that it was foolish, give me the effects of her fear, was she looking constantly looking at the door, is she ever concerned about Dr.'s approval. Here is how I would change it, "Franc wanted Dr. Muamar's approval more than the peace of heaven, even as she cut the Dr's morning class and secreted into the computer lab."

[This message has been edited by Tanglier (edited June 13, 2006).]

Posts: 193 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
She didn't want it more than "the peace of heaven", for crying out loud.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

Is there a difference between wanting someone's approval and just fearing their wrath? Psychologists are always talking about how important it is for parents to use the former and not the later.

P.S. I guess an important element of this is that finishing the degree is a critical step in proving her "sanity" and Dr. M has the power and apparently the will to screw that up for her. How to make it all fit, or which part to focus on.

[This message has been edited by pooka (edited June 14, 2006).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.