Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » from me

Author Topic: from me
HaldirLives
Member # 3489

- posted      Profile for HaldirLives           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, always start with your POV character. Otherwise you're going to confuse the reader. If someone picked this up in a store and read as much as you gave us, they would be expecting a story about a captain on a sub. The best way to introduce your character is to start with him doing what he does.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
First Assistant
Member # 3458

- posted      Profile for First Assistant   Email First Assistant         Edit/Delete Post 
What does this relate to, please?
Posts: 24 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nietge
Member # 3474

- posted      Profile for Nietge   Email Nietge         Edit/Delete Post 
My money is that this post was supposed to go to Doublehex's Mecha thread, and got ker-twanged here..

(is IBTL appropriate here?)

Posts: 103 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
First Assistant
Member # 3458

- posted      Profile for First Assistant   Email First Assistant         Edit/Delete Post 
IBTL? I'm sorry, I don't speak netslang.
Posts: 24 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nietge
Member # 3474

- posted      Profile for Nietge   Email Nietge         Edit/Delete Post 
IBTL = I Beat The Lock. Typically, if an un-kosher thread is started, the admin will come and lock the thread down, preventing any and all others from posting on the thread. But sometimes that takes a while, and meanwhile, others in the community notice the unkosher thread, and then swarm in like angry TIE fighters, all posting "IBTL", meaning that they had snuck in and posted to the bad thread before it was locked. An insular forum joke, to be sure.
Posts: 103 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
That was funny. Nietge, I need to read dialogues you've writen, they must be hilarious.

IBTL??? IBTL, IBTL

[This message has been edited by Sara Genge (edited June 17, 2006).]

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Typically, your life here will be a lot more productive if you don't engage in pissing contests with the moderators. So the whole IBTL isn't really part of our culture. It doesn't make anyone a better writer, after all.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, come on! Innocent fun...
Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
And a straightforward answer to a simple question. More important, since the moderator was asking HaldirLives a direct question, it isn't like the thread has any reason to be locked anyway. Therefore the IBTL would be irrelevant even if we did that sort of thing here. Which we don't. We do have fun, but it is in the context of taking our writing seriously and taking each other seriously as writers.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.