Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » First part of a novel

Author Topic: First part of a novel
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are first lines of a novel I wrote several years ago, and salvaged out of a cardboard box last week. I'd love any feedback at all (especially for hard sci fi buffs who might know more about the Wolf System and Alpha Centauri than I do), and if anyone is interested, I'll send chapters as I rewrite.

By the time we found a habitable planet, we’d been in space so long most of the first generation was dead. Their fault. If they hadn’t spent two decades trying to terraform that ball of ice in the Wolf System…

In any case, Penny was a heavenly sight. Our probes confirmed the pictures we’d taken from orbit. She was a near match for earth. She got the name Penny from an old earther who got tired of us calling her Alpha Centauri One, then Centauri One, then Cent One.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanglier
Member # 1313

- posted      Profile for Tanglier   Email Tanglier         Edit/Delete Post 
The prose is fine. I'd watch about the high-handed dismissal of a people's death. It doesn't help that you start the next paragraph, "In any case,"

I do like the rest of the second paragraph. I thought I'd get bored by the talk of how the planet was named, but it was really artfully done.

Posts: 193 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
I better make my POV character less callous, but maybe he is callous, at least about that. But if so, maybe the first two paragraphs isn't the place to show it, since I want people to keep reading. I can and should take out 'In any case' but I wonder if it then needs a transition.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
You probably could drop the "In any case...", but I think the voice is fine. Callous isn't bad. It's just what the POV character might be. We're all a bit callous now and then. Maybe this is a sore point with him.

In any case, I'd keep reading.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd keep reading.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Alpha Centauri the nearest star to Sol system? If it is, why would they have gone past it to some Wolf system an then come back and found Penny?
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
If MC is callous, jam it up our nose, I'd say.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd certainly echo arriki's point. Unless they didn't set off from Earth...

I didn't find the MC callous, necessarily, just disconnected. Which is entirely plausible for someone who's spent most/all of their life on a generation ship.

I'd probably read on.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nietge
Member # 3474

- posted      Profile for Nietge   Email Nietge         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to agree....why Alpha Centauri? A better choice perhaps would be Delta Pavonis or Epsilon Eridani...do some research on near-Terra stars.

Also, is this a multi-generational ship that they're on? If so, there are many near-Earth stars that wouldnt need a multigenerational ship...if your ship is fusion-powered (fusion utilized as both energy source as well as propulsion), then you can reach a lot of near-Earth stars in a single generation. In Kim Stanley Robinson's Blue Mars, a converted asteroid travels to Barnard's Star (I think; I can't precisely remember what star it was, but it was relatively close to Sol), and Robinson said that the journey would only take 20 years or so.

Did a quick copy-paste from a website I just Googled on near-Earth stars within 10-20 LY:

# 36 Ophiuchi 3?*
# 40 (Omicron2) Eridani 3*
# 61 Cygni 2*
# 70 Ophiuchi 2?*
# 82 Eridani*
# Altair
# CD-46 11540
# Delta Pavonis*
# DENIS 1048-39
# DX Cancri
# Epsilon Eridani*
# Epsilon Indi*
# Eta Cassiopeiae 2*
# EZ Aquarii 3
# Gliese 229
# Gl 570 / HR 5568 ABC*
# Gliese 876 / Ross 780
# Groombridge 34 AB
# Groombridge 1618
# J. Herschel 5173 AB*
# Kapteyn's Star
# Lacaille 8760 / AX Mic
# Lacaille 9352
# LHS 1565 / GJ 1061
# (LP 944-20)
# Luyten's Star
# Procyon 2
# Ross 128
# Ross 248
# Sigma Draconis*
# Struve 2398 AB
# Tau Ceti*
# Teegarden's Star
# Van Maanen's Star
# Wolf 424 AB
# Wolf 1055 AB / VB's Star

from http://www.solstation.com/stars.htm

Personally, I'm a fan of Procyon and Epsilon Eridani.

I'd read further, from this piece.

[This message has been edited by Nietge (edited June 17, 2006).]

Posts: 103 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Alpha Centauri is pretty close to Sol, both in distance (>5 ly) and spectral output/size/age (maybe). It doesn't make a lot of sense that anyone would go to Wolf first, spend two decades trying to terraform a planet there, then pull another interstellar journey to a planet that would already have been claimed by someone else.

The suggested etymology of the planet name is just not very convincing and it distracts us from the story. If the name of the planet isn't a major plot point (meaning it affects the ending) then don't bother to bring it up.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Also, the promised land/wandering in the wilderness theme is wasted by this opening.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storygiver
Member # 2676

- posted      Profile for Storygiver   Email Storygiver         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the character. He's not sympathetic, he's cocky, and sarcastic: i learn all of these things in only those two paragraphs. It's new, and original, and I would definetly keep on reading.

But there is one problem, your story, people trying to find a habitable planet, is a bit unoriginal...unless there is a twist, of course.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
The callousness makes the POV character interesting. He might not be callous at all, joking is his way of defending himself against the threat of death, I'm thinking about cocky cowboys in westerns. Or maybe he really is that callous... In any case it makes him more interesting.
You can just cut the transition to the second paragraph.
I'm willing to read a couple of chapters but I'm not free till july.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

The dead colonists lived full, if constrained, lives. They died of old age, not a catastrophe.
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
I found the character's comments about the first generation to be part of the hook. Thinking of the ship and colony as a single organism, desperately needing all available resources in order for any to survive at all, the kind of wasted time he described would likely result in an open disregard for the emotional impact of the deaths. I thought that the ones who died were lost to the pool of available colonists, and that their loss was a waste because their efforts had not produced anything useful for the survivors. I guess I can believe that a leader, under these circumstances, would develop a bit of disdain for the people who died.

And I got all of these ideas from your fragment, which means you packed a lot of stuff into a very efficient set of opening lines...for me, anyway.

That discussion aside, I really like your fragment. I'd definitely read on. It may be revisiting themes I've seen before, but your mechanics are strong. I thought there was a good balance of plot foreshadowing in the first paragraph and a kind of wry "aside" in the second. I don't mind spending a few sentences developing a tone for the characters and setting. Other readers might not feel the same, though.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from the problem with Alpha Centauri being too close to Earth, I liked your opening. But the Alpha Cent problem does kind of ruin the neat naming paragraph. How are you going to fix that? A non-Earth embarkation point?
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

Thank you everyone. I must have fumbled a google, I thought Wolf was closer than Alpha Centauri. I'm going to ditch the entire Alpha Cent bit and go from there. I know that the "searching for a habitable planet" plot is unoriginal, I hope the characteristics of the people they find on the planet they settle are original enough to make up for it. Maybe they went to Alpha Cent, failed to terraform the planet, then went elsewhere. Thank you for the system listings, I'll have to do more research!

(Darn, why don't I write fantasy and save myself the headache?...because I love sci fi, I guess)

Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

The name Penny introduces a developing power structure on the ship where earth generation colonists are overly deferred to. Also not original, but ancestor worshippers are a small minority competing with the overall egalitarian structure and with other factions.
The conflict hinges on an inter-generational group that undermines the ship's democratic structure. This group is ready to take the planet from its inhabitants by force or trickery if necessary, and it fears another mutiny.

Here is a revision of the second paragraph and the introduction of the ancestor worshipper problem:

Penny was a near match for Pangea Earth. She got the name Penny from a first generation who looked at her land mass and said the copper browns, streaked greens and tarry blacks reminded him of an old penny.
“And she’s pretty as a new one!” He said with a cackle. Our budding little ancestor cult crowded round to ask him what a penny was, and the name stuck. But I know (because I grew up reading terran history) that the expression pretty as a new penny or shiny as one or whatever had gone out of the common language long before that old fraud’s birth. Besides, he was a Kazhak. Nevertheless, Penny he called her and Penny she stayed. And our currency? Change. Toonies, loonies, dinars, shillings, and pennies. No one liked the paper thing, I guess.

I might cut the currency part. Not essential and not sure it adds anything much.

Survivor
Member # 213

Wolf is an M class, barely a star at all. It's a lot farther away than Proxima Centauri (okay, three and a half lightyears farther away), and far less suitable for even space habitats than Alpha Centauri A or B.

Speaking of space habitats, pretty much anyone with the technology to do interstellar travel is going to find them relatively easy to construct once in orbit around a suitable star. They might want to terraform a planet eventually anyway, but as long as you don't crash-land (which makes it a do or die situation) it's not all that urgent a matter.

Anyway, the currency digression really kills this opening.

Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

Okay, the currency bit is getting axed, and I'll have to find a more likely system for the terraform failure. But they do end up crash landing onto the planet's surface.

Wouldn't it be plausible that a colony ship too long in space, after a failed attempt to terraform a planet, would no longer have resources to construct and sustain a habitable station around a second planet?

Survivor
Member # 213

No.

If they surveyed the system already and found a habitable planet, it would be just plausible that they would send a mission designed to land the population on the planet and leave a minimal orbital capability, or that a dire emergency forced them to land on the planet.

But if they've had time to try terraforming an uninhabitable rock in one star system, then travel to another system, they had to be self-sustaining for a generation already. The chances of a crash-landing are tiny, the chances of that crash-landing taking place on an unsurveyed habitable planet are probably even worse. Multiply those chances against each other and you've got an astronomical coincidence. Hah hah.

If you want to say it's a generation ship, and things on board haven't gone quite the way the designers intended, that's different. Or if they originally crashed on the wrong planet and had to put things (meaning a primitive intra-system capability) back together to get to another planet in the same system, or they have some kind of unreliable jump drive, or or or. There are lots of ways to justify the situation you want, but your specifics are just too specifically implausible right now.

Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

Thanks again for your suggestions. I haven't thought enough of this through. I guess I've read too much sci fi and not enough sci.

The ship is multi-generational, and the crash is intentional (a crash landing after a faked life support failure). But apparantly I still have to worry about supply depletion. They were never supposed to be in space that long, and I thought the failed attempt to terraform another planet would put them in properly dire shape, but I can throw something else at them along the backstory. Or maybe they sabotaged or destroyed a lot of their equipment during the mutiny. I guess I better explain why they don't have landing shuttles or the equipment onboard to make them.

Also, I was going to be lazy and let the reader figure out that their ship moves faster than our technology allows now, but not so fast that systems are only a couple of years away. But I'm guessing I might not get away with that after all. Any suggestions on propulsion and speed?

Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you try something more subtle? They're running out of something but it's not anything they can sinthesize... a vitamin, an antibiotic against a pathogen they've been carrying with them, a drug against a certain kind of illness...
Does their ship have gravity? If it doesn't have normal gravity, something that would keep their bones together would be very valuable
How about something that protects them against space radiation? A symbiont microorganism that thrives on it and needs humans to keep it nice and warm.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
I find it plausible that they might be running out of resources. Especially non-replenishable resources, such as metals and whatever fuels their ship (assuming the fuel is non-replenishable). I suppose they would have salvaged all they could from the failed effort, but again, metals...corroded and oxidized and lost without major energy and time investments to reverse the damage. A failed attempt at terraforming would mean all kinds of things have been lost on the planet, chemically and physically altered beyond recovery. Would the mission planners have counted on the settlers making such a bad decision? Would they have given them enough material to terraform two planets? I guess this depends on your story's particular structure.

I have trouble picturing this "generation ship" as being a long-term solution for a population. (I think that's what Survivor was suggesting, but I might not know enough about what y'all are discussing to have kept up.) Wouldn't the population be growing? Wouldn't they eventually outgrow their resources, no matter how plentiful the supply they started with? Isn't a planet-home the ultimate aim? (I hope this doesn't ring too far off topic. If so, I can move it over to the discussion board.)

As for your last question, I'm not a hard sci-fi person by nature. It's not too difficult to get me to suspend my disbelief if I like your story and like your characters. I've read and enjoyed plenty of books and stories that gave me no information about the workings of their faster-than-light transports, other than the fact that they WERE faster than light. Maybe this is the difference between "sci-fi" and "hard sci-fi".

Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Majorly cool web site, with the stars. I'm bookmarking it.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarkJCherry
Member # 3510

- posted      Profile for MarkJCherry           Edit/Delete Post 
Con 1: Firaxis made a game similar to this.

Con 2: There have been plenty of posts before this and most everything else has been said.

Pro 1: The opening has a definate hook[they seem to be arriving near the planet, now]

Pro 2: I would keep reading

That's me, Mark

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LibbieMistretta
Member # 3496

- posted      Profile for LibbieMistretta   Email LibbieMistretta         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it very interesting so far. You mention most of the first generation being dead after two decades spent terraforming. The question that sprang to mind for me is, "How fast are these ships going?" AC is 4.35 light years, and you had a first generation on your ship with a two-decade layover in the Wolf system, so you aren't going near light speed. Is there any reason why (aside from the fact that it's currently tought to be impossible)? I'm just curious, because near-lightspeed or hyperspace seems to be the travel method of choice in most SF stories.

Thanks!

Posts: 61 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Because FTL isn't necessary for this story. It could be used, but just because a lot of other stories use something, that doesn't mean you you need it in your story.

Our current technology would allow us to send something (but not live humans) to Alpha Centauri in a couple of (subjective) years if we really wanted to do so. It isn't high on anyone's list of priorities right now, though. Just cruise the NASA site and Space.com for ideas, pick one that seems good to you. Or just don't bother mentioning it.

That might be a better strategy, since right now your details are what's killing you. If you include a lot of details that many people will be able to easily cross-check for accuracy, you must get them all exactly right.

If the ship isn't designed to land (and there isn't much likelyhood that it would be designed to do so unless it were specifically designed for already known conditions on the target planet), then intentionally crashing it is simply suicide for most of the people on board...it's a way to destroy the ship and leave most of the materiel on the planet, not a way to get the colonists down safely (meaning, you know, alive).

If you want a good 3D starmap with functions that allow you to search out stars by spectral class, size, and location, try Celestia. You can download it for free, and it's fun to play with even if you don't bother to use it for research.

Crea
Member # 3528

- posted      Profile for Crea           Edit/Delete Post 
i'd love to read more as you go. i rarely get into sf... but this one sounds along the lines that i'd be willing to try.

areitan@yahoo.com

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellepepper
Member # 3520

- posted      Profile for Ellepepper   Email Ellepepper         Edit/Delete Post 
If you insist on making it hard sci-fi then you will have to rewrite a portion of it. The character speaking, while possibly jaded from long flight, is not sympathetic at all. I don't think I would continue reading it. If, on the other hand, you gave them a reason for choosing those two planet in particular... then perhaps it would be belivable.
Posts: 151 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

I have my characters taking a long time to get somewhere because I don't want them in easy reach of home or another terraformable or habitable planet. I gave them the dilemma for the sake of the story. I now have to do some research to make the dilemma work. If it can work.

There's 2000 people on the ship, they've been controlling their population since the beginning. The technology they have is barely above what we have now, when compared to what is used in most sci-fi novels. It takes several years (not sure yet how many) to reach the nearest solar system, longer to reach one likely to have a habitable planet, then the nearest planets don't have a planet they can use, so they keep going, now in worse shape because they've used up so many resources on the failed terraforming.

So now I need to ask: What made earth so bad they were willing to risk it, and weren't willing to go back. Although a mutiny might make the winners unwilling to go back home again, too.

How fast are they actually going.

How can they crashland that ship onto the planet (I was thinking it was a backup feature, not something the designers ever wanted to use, but added on anyway, just in case, but I have no idea how hard it would be to land a ship that big without killing everyone onboard).

Which system did they first try to terraform, and where are they now? And how far from earth? And what resources do they have left? How many years has it actually been since they left earth anyway?

Hm, I think I aspired to hard sci fi, but my first draft is soft. And I don't want to leave it that way, or rather, if I don't have to explain, I won't, but if I do need to, I don't want to get it wrong!

Survivor
Member # 213

If they are within a few years of a system by non-FTL travel, then that system is probably fairly easy to probe. I recommend that the system have been explored by relativistic velocity (90% c) probes before they attempt a colonization mission. The colonization mission cannot be accelerated to the same degree, both because of mass/fuel considerations and to avoid killing off the crew by acceleration/radiation (plus you have to decelerate a colonization mission, a probe can blow on through).

So the mission is assembled with full knowledge of the target system, and the target planet. The colony ship is designed with several modules, the bulk of which are designed to separate and land on the planet intact to provide an immediately functioning infrastructure and to accelerate terraforming efforts, with the remaining part of the ship (engine core and orbital support elements) remaining in orbit around the planet. The relative travel time is only a few decades for the crew (both due to relativity and some form of suspended animation), but it takes a century or so from the perspective of people back on Earth. Alpha Centauri A isn't a bad choice for the target system, it's quite similar to Sol in most of the important respects. You can choose another destination by looking around in Celestia, if you like (some people think that the proximity of two other stars would interfere with planet formation around Alpha Centauri A, though really it would probably only keep a large gas giant from forming).

The ship has an operating crew of 2000, but it carries human embryos for bio-diversity along with stocks of seeds and whatnot. Research the basics of what we can do now in terms of conservation efforts and so forth and sort of fill in the gaps. Perhaps some of the crew members are cloned embryos, you take a healthy blastocyst with a good genetic profile, and chop it up a few times. Each of the smaller clumps should develop into a viable blastocyst (there are biological limits to how far you can take this, but 16-32 is pretty safe, with failures you'd have 10-30 clones). That way you don't have to worry about inbreeding or infertility problems during the journey (after landfall, you're on your own). You can take or leave the clones idea, maybe they'll be content with letting the crew reproduce naturally for a couple of generations and hoping for the best.

Anyway, let's say there's a nearly Earth-like planet. Big oceans, continental landmasses, atmosphere with the right elements, though you can take or leave the diatomic oxygen (that would probably require existing ur-plant life that was somewhat similar to Earth, not impossible by any means but potentially implausible to some). The colony is set up to land there. On the other hand, there's another planet that is basically like Mars, only perhaps a little warmer, maybe massive enough to support a little more atmosphere.

Due to some horrible screw-up, be it mutiny, meteoroid, or Mephistophles, your poor unfortunate colonists end up landing on the Mars-like planet rather than the target. They end up having to bail out of the orbital module, everyone gets stuck on the planet somehow or other. Let's say a reactor accident on the engine core renders the orbital component uninhabitable. So they have to stick it out on the crappy planet and use primitive space shots to try and put crew back on the orbital module after the radiation dies down. Whatever. Then they have to recover enough of the landed modules (and crew) to reestablish on the original target planet.

Anyway, it's easy enough to put together the scenario, if you change the scale to fit your available technology. Then the trick is writing it. Which is not quite so straightforward.

Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

Heh. It isn't straightforward to write that way, which is why I'm happily procrastinating and soothing my conscience by working on other things!

I like the Mars-type planet idea, and I read somewhere that algae dropped into the atmosphere will theoretically make a planet like Mars habitable within a couple of decades. Only I'm thinking the Mars type is the first one they try, then they are out of equipment and either must return to earth (the successful mutiny doesn't make that appealing) or try somewhere more distant with a planet their probes (another great idea!) say is closer to Earth in atmosphere and plantlife. How likely it is that any planet within twenty or thirty years' travel is that similar I leave to the hardcore skeptics.

Does anyone know anything about altering DNA on the fly? So that, with advanced planning, maybe colonists could alter their own DNA and not wait for the next generation? Maybe they could alter themselves to adjust to the second planet's atmospheric differences? I made it very oxygen rich (so much so that fires in the lowlands are a big problem). But other atmospheric elements might be toxic to humans. Probably would be.

Speaking of mucking around with DNA, there has to be a sci-fi story in this one somewhere:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9C02E5D91130F933A05750C0A96F958260

Survivor
Member # 213

If they use up their resources on trying to terraform a marginal planet rather than building up an extensive deep-space infrastructure, then they simply cannot mount another interstellar attempt when the terraforming fails. The ability to have self-supporting space habitats operating long-term is an absolute prerequisite of the kind of non-FTL colonization attempt your talking about. If most of the colonists were living in space anyway, nobody would die or even be seriously inconvinienced as a result of the terraforming failure (a lot of them would lose status, but that's about it).

So the better planet must be in the same system. Therefore it would have been the original target planet, you need to introduce some catastrophic event to force them to land on the worse planet first.

As for the genetic modification idea...it's a lot easier and safer to just have people use life support equipment.

Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

Hm. Well, the first generation might have decided to settle the less habitable planet because the habitable planet in the system was occupied.

But that throws a big problem in my plot. It might actually be a good problem though. It might add depth to the conflict. My antagonists are a little too one dimensional, same with my protagonists. And that solves my language problems, when the people on the ship have only had a few weeks or months to study the inhabitants language and vice-versa. With this twist, they'll have generations.

Let's say I want some time to pass between the mutiny that ends the attempt to terraform the planet and going to the inhabited planet. Even decades. Is there a way to make the ship travel so slowly it takes that long to leave orbit and then reach a nearby planet? I want to hobble their ship's speed without making it likely they'd die on the way. It can't even be very far away, since the distance would be similar to the distance between Mars and Earth.

That means I need a prior contact with those inhabitants, a hostile one, because it's likely the colonists would at least try to communicate and ask to settle there before going on to the less likely planet. And they've failed and they're on the way back to a planet full of creatures who have been hostile to them. They can't leave the system, and they can't stay in space forever, the ship's systems are running down. It might be a generation or two more before the ship fails, but it will happen.

Now that's a nice dilemma. My original conflict was between people wanting to settle no matter how the inhabitants react (war as necessary) and those who would rather risk finding a different system. In this case, the conflict would be between those who want to stay in orbit and build friendship with trade and communication, even if it takes a generation and gives the inhabitants technology they can use to fight back with, and those who want to get down to that planet now, and clear out a space for themselves, by force if necessary.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.