Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A Short Story

Author Topic: A Short Story
ahwilson
Member # 3511

- posted      Profile for ahwilson   Email ahwilson         Edit/Delete Post 
A post on one of my other topics reminded me of a short story I wrote back in my junior year of high school here is a sample.

One in a million... all or nothing... now or never. Come on bryce pull your self together. This is nothing special you know this place like the back of your hand. What could go wrong? The question you should be asking yourself is what can't go wrong. One in a million... all or nothing... now or never.

As he said this he stepped out of his car the wind whisled in his ears as he walked towards the door. "Good ole crisp breeze of Virginia," he muttered under his breath.

While walking inside he passed a sign which read CENERAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY, LANGLEY VIRGINIA.

"This place brings back memories," he thought to himself, "The time when I discovered the terrorist cell in Libya, the time I foiled a terrosist attck by Palestinian rebels, and now the one

If you made it this far props. If so give your thumbs up or down and comments. Also if any have places to submit short stories that would be nice.

Thanks for reading.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited June 23, 2006).]

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LibbieMistretta
Member # 3496

- posted      Profile for LibbieMistretta   Email LibbieMistretta         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't get past the first paragraph, dude. The lack of punctuation and capitalization of names made me focus entirely on the weird syntax and not at all on anything that was actually being said. Ouch!

Also, I believe the big rule for this forum is 13 lines of the opening of a story only...so maybe posting a "story from the dark past" would be better done in another forum? Just some friendly advice!

Posts: 61 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
> If you made it this far props.

If we made it that far, it's because you violated the thirteen line rule. Please go to the "Read this first" section. We'd be happy to work with you, but we want to make sure that we're all working the same way.

Regards,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

- posted      Profile for Swimming Bird           Edit/Delete Post 
We were all new once, so I read the whole thing.

I think before you continue, you should really study on the basic mechanics of grammar and spelling. If you're writing this to get published, no agent or editor in the world would make it past the first paragraph.

Once you learn the basics, focus on your style. You are avoiding using the word "said." You are keeping information from the reading by using cryptic structure such as "fix that thing he did." What thing?

You overuse onomatopoeia, which is really comical because it's so close to the Adam West Batman tv show in plot convention. You are trying to write a serious story and not camp.

You also don't know how to stay in pov. You state everyone is startled and confused. Isn't this a room full of CIA agents? Is Bryce the only one trained to remain calm?

When you cover those two problem, focus on logic. Reading up on the CIA would do wonders in making your story more credible. Why would the security guard call for back-up instead of just telling Bryce to leave because he didn't have id? There is no such thing as pitch black inside the CIA building; there are emergency generator lights that go on incase of a black out.

Also, there is no suspense in this story. Everything is so easy for Bryce that it's really not worth reading about. If this is all going according to his plan, throw a wrench in there. I think you're trying so hard to make Bryce seem cool that you ignore a lot of other plot elements.

I suggest first brushing up on your grammar and spelling, then pick a great book on style; there are millions of them.

[This message has been edited by Swimming Bird (edited June 23, 2006).]

Posts: 151 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahwilson
Member # 3511

Sorry, wow all that was a slap in the face. All i did was grab this thing I turned in as a junior and threw it down on the computer. I was going to be late to work so I looked over most gramatical errors I was making. Yes I know it was long I'm sorry. I could not just pick a piece. I also know that no one in there right mind would want to buy or print it. I know it sucked. That was the first page of about 10 that I wrote in about three hours. The thing is I got ideas in my head and its hard for them to get them on paper so yes I need some help with format. Thats the kind of help I need. Not you are stupid for writting so much. I'm sorry for the pain I put you all through. There is no one that I know that can tear me apart like this and give good advice. So I need your help. Sorry again.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sorry, wow all that was a slap in the face. ... I know it sucked. ... The thing is I got ideas in my head and its hard for them to get them on paper so yes I need some help with format. ... I'm sorry for the pain I put you all through.

Well, don't take the advice the wrong way. People around here really are willing to help. But the best way to get help probably isn't by putting up something if you "know it sucked" -- the best way to use the forum is to put up something that you think is really good. Near perfect, in fact. If you do that, people will point out the little nits that make your great story into merely good, or your good story into something they wouldn't read. _That_ will help you work on style, form, grammar, etc.

And always remember that the critiques we give, harsh as they are, are much better and more caring than the apathy of the typical editor.

If you don't know where to start then you should read some of the good books about writing. If you feel like you know your characters, but don't have a plot, then start with a book on plotting. If you have a plot, but your characters feel like they're kinda cardboard-ish, get a book on characterization.

If you have lots of ideas, I suggest the following. Write a lot. Put away the things that you write and come back to them later -- a week, a month, who knows? Then come back to the things you wrote earlier and, reading carefully, say, "would I continue reading this? Does it confuse me? Are there things I know, because I'm the author, that the reader wouldn't know, that are important to the scene?" Then try writing it again. Then, when you think it's essentially perfect, post the first 13 here again -- and prepare to be eviscerated. It ain't pretty, but it's a good way to learn how your writing appears to a well-read readership.

Finally, read lots of critiques, and try to give critiques yourself. I learn as much from critiquing other people as I do from being critiqued. It's much easier to see the problems with something when it's not your something.

So don't apologize for the "pain you put us through." Just learn to use the forum for what it's good for, and there's plenty of good advice to be had. You'll be dealing with the pain of seeing your baby ripped apart, which is much harder than what the critiquers do.

Regards,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
It was hard (actually, impossible) to tell what Bryce is worried about. Bryce knows. It's more fun if we know too.

I'd say, tell us what the story is about. Then make that paragraph 1. Seriously! Advice from OSC. (Not a requirement, but not a bad idea.)

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahwilson
Member # 3511

Thanks for the post. When I said it sucked I meant most people are pros here and I know what people would want to print and what I wrote was not at that caliber...yet. I was just throwing some of my stuff in the water to test it. I was expecting the worse but when all people can do is point out is the basic fudemental flaws I was tooken back.

So some help I need to know what some good books on mechanics and grammer. I'm picking up OSC's books one how to write fiction and his on charicter building one as well. THe other thing is how to pick a good segment to post. I find it hard to pick just 13 lines. I find that you don't really get the info needed. You say so much and all the questions that will answered shortly are left hanging. Its cool if you got a cliff hanger like that guy who wrote the traitors cage thats good. I just can't find anything that stands on its own. Anyways thanks for taking your time.

LibbieMistretta
Member # 3496

- posted      Profile for LibbieMistretta   Email LibbieMistretta         Edit/Delete Post 
The 13 line thing is something that's explained in the first forum you *should* have seen when you registered. There's a reason for it. They should be the very first 13 lines of your story (or novel). The reason only the first 13 lines are used is because that's the very first thing an editor will see when they begin to review your submission (there are about 26 lines on a double-spaced manuscript, and the first half of the first page needs to have your contact info on it so they can call you up and tell you they want to offer you a zillion-dollar contract ... so half of 26 lines is 13 lines, yes?)

So you shouldn't have to choose which 13 lines to post - it's always the first lines, the first any editor will see. It's good to get those really polished because it is usually the only chance you have to "hook" the editor into your story and make them want to read more than just the first page!

Now, I could be wrong, but I actually think most people here are not pros! I'm still really new here, but as far as I can tell, few of us have had a lot of works published (for me, just some technical writing for a hobby manual! Not exactly what I want to be remembered for after I die ). Not many of us here are professional writers in the sense that we do this for our basic living. Most of us are amateurs - a lot of us are total beginners who are just working on our very first real work of fiction. Some of us have had a lot of stories or even a book or two published, but I am pretty sure they're few on this forum. As far as anybody could tell using the search engine, OSC has never posted here except for once, and it wasn't really to give any writing advice.

So cheer up! You're in good company. We're all more or less in the same boat.

And definitely try your hand at critiquing others' work. It really does help you learn to be critical of your own and weed out the crummy stuff!

[This message has been edited by LibbieMistretta (edited June 23, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by LibbieMistretta (edited June 23, 2006).]

Posts: 61 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need a cliff-hanger in the first 13 lines. You only need to have something that will make the reader want to read the next 13. Good voice alone can do it, or the beginnings of an interesting situation, or character interaction . . . or, yes, a real zinger of a thirteenth line can do it, too. But don't feel you have to restrict yourself to that.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.