Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Need critiques with synopsis

Author Topic: Need critiques with synopsis
NeedCatScan
Member # 3266

- posted      Profile for NeedCatScan   Email NeedCatScan         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my query letter synopsis I will be sending to agents. I would highly appreciate some EXTREME critiques, I need this thing perfect before I start sending it.

Corbin is a street urchin that lives at a time when genetically-engineered intelligence has created a wealth-based class system similar to that of America during the 1800s between whites and blacks. The “enlightened” upper class with their enhanced minds has turned the lower class “unfortunates” into homeless, street dwelling surfs. The enlightened unite the world under one treaty, abolish almost all religion, and turn all aggression towards the lower class.

While being held as a slave at a Catholic monastery, Corbin overhears a scheme for the Vatican to save its religion by taking over a part of Europe in a plot to secede from the United Enlightened Nations. The Pope knows that their military will be dismal compared to that of the UEN, so they lure masses of unfortunates to fight for them with fabricated promises of freedom and equality. Corbin, with his rare intellect, is the only one who can stop the Catholic’s evil agenda. He must escape the clutches of his captors and find a way to save millions of his people from dying needlessly before it's too late.

[This message has been edited by NeedCatScan (edited June 26, 2006).]

Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi NCS.

First, I think it's unnecessary and a little clunky to describe the world in comparison to a known world. I think it would be MUCH stronger to let your world stand on it's own.

Second, I think you'd be better served to stick to Corbin--he's what'll attract an agent/publisher/reader. Not the world. Instead of describing the evolution of the social system in such detail, stay with Corbin. IE. "Corbin, a street urchin, lives in a world in which genetic engineering has resulted in a regression of society. He, and millions like him, are at the mercy of the genetically enhanced enlightened class. Corbin has not hope of..." Blah, blah, blah.

Keep it focused on Corbin.

Also, make the theme of religious war a more central and important one before dropping the bomb of the Vatican underground scheme. I'd even go so far as to suggest a whole paragraph to lead the reader that way. It was kind of a leap to have to go from the idea of abolishing religion (an inherently good thing, IMO) to the understanding that the remaining religion was at the heart of a vile plot. Give me enough information to get me there.

Third, I'm not very convinced that Corbin has a good motivation for being involved. He comes across in the last sentence as a 'super hero in disguise,' rather than a kid who is caught up in things out of his control. An unlikely hero who becomes involved without wanting to is much more endearing than one who jumps in and says, "I'll save you!" I'm not saying Corbin is this type. He just comes across that way in your synopsis.

Fourth, nits... [suggestions in brackets]

quote:
Corbin is a street urchin that [WHO] lives at a time when genetically-engineered intelligence has created a wealth-based class system similar to that of America during the 1800s between whites and blacks. The “enlightened” upper class[,] with their enhanced minds[,] has turned the lower class “unfortunates” into homeless, street dwelling surfs[serfs]. The enlightened unite the world under one treaty, abolish almost all religion, and turn all aggression towards the lower class.

While being held as a slave at a Catholic monastery, Corbin overhears a scheme for the Vatican to save its religion by taking over a part of Europe in a plot to secede from the United Enlightened Nations[Long sentence. Simplify or break up]. The Pope knows that their[his--use specific pronouns or nouns that more clearly define who.] military will be dismal compared to that of the UEN, so they[he] lure masses of unfortunates to fight for them[the church] with fabricated promises of freedom and equality. Corbin, with his rare intellect, is the only one who can stop the Catholic’s[Is there good reason to make a blanket accusation of evil? Can you specify an antagonist or group of antagonists? The Pope? The Bishops?] evil agenda. He must escape the clutches of his captors and find a way to save millions of his people from dying needlessly before it's too late.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for Mig           Edit/Delete Post 
The 18th century wealth-based class system is best characterized as divided between the haves and the have-nots and not as a race based system. A weath-based class struture is also not unique to the 18th century. I'd elimentate the reference to the 18th century unless the analogy was more integral to the plot. Suggestion: If you must compare to an era, the wealth disparity and beggars on the street made me think 1930's Depression era.

The summary has a sudden shift in perspective. First paragraph presents the genetically engineered elites as the bad guys. Then the second paragraph presents the Catholic Church as the bad guys.

Why pick on the Catholics? Wouldn't other organized religions be just at upset at being abolished? This summary reads as too anti-Catholic. Religious bigotry is not a good selling strategy in a query letter.

The query letter reads as mostly backstory. I recommend cutting it down to atleast half and give more info on how the plot unfolds.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NeedCatScan
Member # 3266

- posted      Profile for NeedCatScan   Email NeedCatScan         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice Djvdakota and Mig. This is my attempt at taking out the Catholic Card and focusing on Corbin.

Corbin is a street urchin who lives at a time when genetically-engineered intelligence has created a wealth-based class system. The “enlightened” upper class, with their enhanced minds, has turned the lower class “unfortunates” into homeless, street dwelling serfs. Corbin is discontent in the world of high class unity and watches helplessly as his people are treated worse and worse.
While being held as a slave at a monastery, Corbin overhears a plot to recruit unfortunates, with fabricated promises of freedom and equality, for a war of secession. His rare intellect and knowledge of the truth behind the campaign make him the only one who can stop his people from being slaughtered needlessly. Corbin finds himself befriending and recruiting other street urchins, infiltrating and interrogating enlightened leaders, and even killing to achieve his goal, but time is running out.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omakase
Member # 2915

- posted      Profile for Omakase   Email Omakase         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree wholeheartedly with some of what has already been posted.
The synopsis as written is extremely confusing and jumps around far too much.

The very first line opens with "Corbin is a street urchin" then forward to paragraph 2 "Corbin is a slave in a monastery"

I think you're doing a disservice to your story with the opening paragraph and the comparison isn't really valid.
There's no problem with using the Catholic church - we recognize this is FICTION (at least most of us).

Concentrate on summing up the story: introduce the protagonist, introduce the conflict, hint at the action/resolution part of the story.

Posts: 179 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for Mig           Edit/Delete Post 
Much better. Is his goal just to stop the rebellion? If his goal is to also upend the overall system, you should try to make that clear. The last phrase ", but time is running out." reads a little week. Try something more plot specific as regards to the deadline he's facing, for example "before the mercenaries hired to kill collect thier bounty," "before the bomb in his brain explodes," "before the war begins," etc.

I recommend that you put "enlightened leaders" in quotes in the last sentence. My presumption was that you were referencing leaders of the upper class but better to make that a little clearer by again referencing the "enlightened" upper class.

I'd love to read this, but I'm afraid I can't because it might enfluence my work. I'm also writing a a story based on a class structure/struggle stemming from genetic engineering. My story also addresses religious issues. Good luck. Curious if there's a market for this type of story.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NeedCatScan
Member # 3266

Once again, thank you for your helpful comments Mig and Omakase. Here's revision #4.

Corbin is a slave who lives at a time when genetically-engineered intelligence has created a wealth-based class system. The “enlightened” upper class, with their enhanced minds, has turned the lower class “unfortunates” into homeless, street dwelling serfs. Corbin is discontent in the world of high class unity and watches helplessly as his people are treated worse and worse.
While enslaved at a monastery, Corbin overhears a plot to recruit “unfortunates”, with fabricated promises of freedom and equality, for a war of secession. His rare intellect and knowledge of the truth behind the campaign make him the only one who can stop his people from being slaughtered needlessly. Corbin finds himself befriending and recruiting other “unfortunates”, infiltrating and interrogating “enlightened” leaders, and even killing while trying to stop the rebellion, but there’s precious little time before the war begins and blood starts to spill.

Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
You mix plural/singular here: "...with their enhanced minds, has turned..." I know the verb refers to the subject "class", but you establish "class" as a plural aggregate of people when you use the pronoun "their". To keep it singular, you would need to substitue the pronoun "its". As written, I think it should read "have turned".

I get confused when you say, "Corbin is discontent in the world of high class unity..." because you said earlier he is a slave. So he isn't IN the high class. If I'm reading your other info correctly, you should rephrase this, "Corbin is discontent in such a divided world..." or some such thing. (If I'm wrong, and he starts out as one of the elite...ignore all of that.)

Also, I think "discontent" should be "discontented." (Or, you can say, "Corbin feels discontent...")

A comma here: "...high class unity, and watches helplessly..." would aid the clarity of that sentence, even though it is grammatically correct without one.

I don't like the repetition of "slave" and "enslaved" in such similar positions in their respective paragraphs.

The first sentence of the second paragraph tried to cover too much ground. It could be helped by using the first sentence to clarify WHO is making the plot. (Other "unfortunates"? Or the monks? I think you answered this earlier, but this fragment doesn't answer the question effectively.)

I can't really explain how I'd fix that long sentence without providing an awful example:

"While serving in a monastery, Corbin overhears the monks plotting to recruit his fellow 'unfortunates' into a hopeless war of succession. They plan to offer fabricated promises of freedom and equality, but Corbin sees that the war will bring only death and further hardships to his people."

That's all I see as far as the fragment you've presented. But I will say that I think this synopsis probably still hasn't captured the important elements of Corbin's character, nor of the unique world he lives in. And those are the things that will stimulate more interest in your book. Vague plotting monks and enslaved, lower class heroes are not uncommon in today's market. A genetically enhanced, high-functioning "elite" striving for a forced utopia (duly sterilized of all individuals who are not "enhanced"), a religious group planning a world war, and a common-born, common-sense hero who can stand against both groups...those are the unique elements of your story. At least, that's what I've inferred from your assorted fragments and comments.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
discipuli
Member # 3395

- posted      Profile for discipuli   Email discipuli         Edit/Delete Post 
some good ideas but a few problems with your logic : If the vatican can coax masses of unfortunates to war.. won't sending them to church be much easier? .. to ''save'' their religion , they can teach them that ignorance and humility is the path to heaven and quote some scripture there eg.
# Matthew 18:3
And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven''.
It seems popular these days to make the church the evil organization.. Why not break the mould a bit and create your own fictional religion with a central leadership?

Posts: 51 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NeedCatScan
Member # 3266

Thank you Novice for all your well put insight. I scrapped it all together and came up with Draft #, I don't know, I've lost count.

Corbin’s life as a non-enhanced “unfortunate” has strengthened him through his childhood years. His parents were killed when he was six-years-old, he was almost murdered at eight, and then survived through animalistic torture at ten. Now sixteen, he is a slave to the monastic priesthood in a secluded monastery.
Corbin watches the world change around him as the intelligence-enhanced “enlightened” tread on the “unfortunates” with new found fury. He realizes that the only thing stopping complete unity of the world was the diversity still in it: them. He, along with the other two “unfortunates” held captive, escape from the Catholic sanctuary only after blackmailing the priests into compliance. Now Corbin is integrated within a group of others like him and strives to live at peace, but to no avail. While he was at the monastery he overheard the priests plotting to recruit his fellow “unfortunates” into a hopeless war of secession. They plan to offer fabricated promises of freedom and equality, but he sees that the war will bring only death and further hardships to his people. His rare intellect and knowledge of the truth behind the campaign make him the only one who can stop his people from being slaughtered needlessly, but time is running out.

All comments are welcome and appreciated.

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. Some thoughts:

Corbin can't do all these things if he's a street urchin. Maybe he *was* a street urchin.

You'll need some explanation of why the enlightened keep the poor as slaves, rather than just ignoring them. In the past, it was labor, but we need less and less manual labor, as automation progresses. Also consider that it was the powerful classes that *helped* the less powerful in many cases in recent history; taking just the US, we have abolitionism, civil rights, and philanthropy as examples. Those that wanted slaves kept down in antebellum times wanted the money to be made off it. What money is to be made from oppressing these unfortunate. Of course, that's not the only motivation -- cf the Holocaust -- but we'll need some reason.

I would like some sense that the world is not divided clearly into totally good and totally evil sides (although that may not make it to the 1-paragraph synopsis).

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited June 27, 2006).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was given a great peice of advise some time ago - sum up the entire premise of your story in 8 words. While you want to expand those eight words in your query, they are your "pitch." Once you've synthasize the entire premise into 8 words, expanding it for emphasis becomes much easier.

I'm not sure I like the backstory about his past to start the query letter. I'm going to presume that as an "unfortunate" life wasn't easy up to this point.

How about:

Sixteen year old, Corbin is a slave to the monastic priesthood. Consigned to watching the benefits of life pass to the genetically engineered "enlightened" rich, he realizes that the only thing stopping the complete unity of the world was the diversity still in it: him and the others like him, the unenlightened "unfortunates". After blackmailing his way to freedom with knowledge of a plot to use the "unfortunates" to start a hopeless war of sucession by the church, Corbin . . .

Also, is "needlessly" necessary after "slaughtered?"

Just my two cents.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, here it comes:

--------------------------------------------------------------
Corbin is a street urchin that lives at a time when genetically-engineered intelligence has created a wealth-based class system similar to that of America during the 1800s between whites and blacks.
-----------------------------------------------------------

That phrase is way to packed. Chop it up into two or three.
The white/black devide in the 1800 wasn't only based upon wealth. Racial segregation played a major part. I'm sure if you were black and poor in the 1800 you had a harder time that if you were white and poor. Maybe cutting the "wealth-based" would do do trick. "Class-system already suggests a division, the agent might not need to know about what at this point.

---------------------------------------------------------------
The “enlightened” upper class with their enhanced minds has turned the lower class “unfortunates” into homeless, street dwelling surfs. The enlightened unite the world under one treaty, abolish almost all religion, and turn all aggression towards the lower class.
-----------------------------------------------------------

If the United Enlightened Nations is an institution you're going to use, why not just talk about "Enlightened" with capitals?

In the next paragraph you might want to explain why your MC has a high IQ since everyone who's modified to have one is Enlightened and he's just a slave.

Ups I was posting on the first version

[This message has been edited by Sara Genge (edited June 27, 2006).]

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.