Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Danger of Insanity

Author Topic: The Danger of Insanity
Rilnian
Member # 3506

- posted      Profile for Rilnian   Email Rilnian         Edit/Delete Post 
Had an idea late at night, when most of my ideas are though up. Scribbled it down on my notebook and decided to post it up here. Wondering if it could go somewhere.

I hadn’t left that light on had I? Oh, what difference does it make? I should be asleep by now. I suppose I had left it open.

But what is that light. I hadn’t left that light on had I? What a crazy old man I am, I’m sure I did, first the door, then the light. Did I leave that door open? No matter, time for bed, I need my rest.

Now what is the noise? I don’t suppose I’m making that myself. What an interesting concept, but one I most certainly must explore later. No time for thinking, only time for sleep. Well there it is again. Where did that noise come from?

Edit: Title was supposed to be "The Danger of Insanity"... dont know what I was thinking...
Thank you all!

[This message has been edited by Rilnian (edited June 28, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Rilnian (edited July 29, 2006).]

Posts: 37 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
It reads like something you jotted down when you woke up. Other than someone is rambling, I have no idea what is going on. Any idea can "go somewhere" but you need a clear vision of where before the story can follow.

What are you trying to say?
Where are we?
Who is the "I?"
What is going on?
Why should I care?

If you can answer those questions, you can start taking this "somewhere." It could be that you use this text but not as an opening. Try to flesh out the story you want to tell and then incorporating this somewhere will make sense.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neoindra
Member # 3422

- posted      Profile for Neoindra   Email Neoindra         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you remember anymore of the plot of the dream? Why is it important that an old man is confused and tired? I think that this can go somewhere, but you would have to get a good hook and figure out how this episode fits into a larger story. Oh and ditto Kings_Falcon I wouldn’t open with this, it’s too confusing.
Posts: 58 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morningstar
Member # 3586

- posted      Profile for morningstar   Email morningstar         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it. It made me think of Dustin Hoffman from Rainman. It made me interested to know what the "light was.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I just changed the title and then noticed that you said "The Danger of Instantity" (meaning instant-ness?), or is that also a typo?

If you want it to be "Instantity," please let me know and I'll fix it again.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rilnian
Member # 3506

- posted      Profile for Rilnian   Email Rilnian         Edit/Delete Post 
No you have it right. Thank you!
Posts: 37 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.