Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » First 13 lines... Till Human voices...

Author Topic: First 13 lines... Till Human voices...
Ellepepper
Member # 3520

- posted      Profile for Ellepepper   Email Ellepepper         Edit/Delete Post 
Science fiction Novel 68900+ words... Anyone who wants it via e-mail can, but I'm working it over for the Yosemite Writer's conference in august. *mean italicized*

Curtis paused just before the marker. To the uninformed it looked like nothing more than another piece of rubble, but to a Black Tunic like himself it was the marker of the last step he could legally go. The red ‘system reprimand’ light was flashing a silent warning that what he was about to do was forbidden.
He knew it would be just like last time, one more step would unleash the EM energy called a Reprimand. That was such a mundane term for the type of pain that it caused. And he knew this one step could kill him; it almost had last time. *But one step beyond that and I am free.* He thought. Only here, so close to a system reprimand would he dare to think that.
According to Gen-Tech lore no Unit had ever made it two

[This message has been edited by Ellepepper (edited July 03, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Ellepepper (edited July 03, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited July 03, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Ellepepper (edited July 04, 2006).]

Posts: 151 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RinkRatWriter
Member # 3535

- posted      Profile for RinkRatWriter           Edit/Delete Post 
Overall, I like what you've got so far; it's an interesting beginning.

That said, while I'm willing to take most of what is written for obscure concepts in sci-fi and fantasy on faith (knowing that eventually the author will get around to explaining things), I find one question jumping out in my mind when I read your 13.

"The red ‘system reprimand’ light was flashing a silent warning that what he was about to do was forbidden"

Where is this system reprimand light? Is it on the marker? Is it located somewhere on Curtis? Is it on a console near the marker?

To me, the question about the red system reprimand light is enough to pull me out of the story.

Other than that, like I said, I like what I see.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellepepper
Member # 3520

- posted      Profile for Ellepepper   Email Ellepepper         Edit/Delete Post 
He's a cyborg. (Of sorts, more an augmented human) Think the display that Terminator has over his normal vision. Except that it isn't a false color display, it is just text or lights flashing in his periphery.
Posts: 151 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
I see that called a HUD sometimes, a heads up display. Of course, in the cyborg's case, I case he doesn't need a helmet, it's just internal, right?
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellepepper
Member # 3520

Yeah, it's internal. He doesn't need a helmit though he can use one.

Also I changed two words. The red 'system reprimand" became His internal, red...

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
You could call it a "visual overlay" or just "HUD" (Heads Up Display simply means that you don't have to look away from what you're doing, it doesn't imply the location of the display). I wasn't confused by "internal, red 'system reprimant' light", but I did find it clunky.

I gotta say, either he's a moron for believing that the control system has zero redundancy or he has good reason to believe that his controllers were stupid enough to design a control system with no backup in the event that the primary system failed. My guess would be that the second step will unleash a definitely lethal response, but that would be a pretty short story, eh?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellepepper
Member # 3520

He knows what will happen. He's tried once before. It will unleash an EM surge that could be fatal. But he doesn't want to be a slave any longer.

Most Units like himself are so controlled by the computer they don't know that they can run away, or they are too afraid to try. He tried and managed to pull himself back from the line before his system totally fried... That's why it would be like last time.

[This message has been edited by Ellepepper (edited July 04, 2006).]

petrovski
Member # 3350

- posted      Profile for petrovski           Edit/Delete Post 
I like your hook. Life-or-death fredom-or-slavery decisions are great. I just have one note beyond what has already been said. For flow purposes, the "he thought" phrase could be moulded into the third person. Something like, "One more step beyond and he would be free."
Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellepepper
Member # 3520

*One step beyond and I'm free* Is ĺ thought which is why it is set off in italics. Some of what will be happening is happening in his head as he fights for control from his computer.
Ellepepper
Member # 3520

Also, One step beyond is a Unit phrase. If they are 'one step beyond' they are either crazy or acting directly against orders.
petrovski
Member # 3350

- posted      Profile for petrovski           Edit/Delete Post 
I am afraid I wasn't clear with my response. I understood perfectly that your phrase was a thought. I am more concerned with POV. If you are telling the story from the character's POV, you generally can throw in thoughts without having to tag them with a "he thought" or having to put them in special italics.

In the case of this story, I believe the tag and italics are unnecessary as you have already established POV. In might be better for the flow of the 13 lines if the thought were untagged, unitalicized.

Does any of this rambling make sense?

Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I got no problem with this section, except that

*Such and such.* He thought.

should be

*Such and such,* he thought.

or better yet

Such and such, he thought.

or

Such and such.

The first form isn't good punctuation. The other variants are taste.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting but dense
"Marker" is too soft a word for the meaning you want to convey. It took me a while to figure out it was important just because the word is so weak. How about "cairn" or even "symbol"
Where is the "red system reprimand"? I imagined it inside his head or else someone would notice.
I don't think you need quotation marks around "sytem reprimand".

"The red ‘system reprimand’ light was flashing a silent warning that what he was about to do was forbidden."
What about an active phrase here: ...that he was forbidden to go any further... of something.

"He knew it would be just like last time, one more step would unleash the EM energy called a Reprimand. That was such a mundane term for the type of pain that it caused. And he knew this one step could kill him; it almost had last time. "
You say that he's done this before twice in these four lines. cut one out. I would also cut the description of the Reprimand-thing, the reader only needs to know it hurts:
"One more step would unleash the energy Reprimand"

"Only here, so close to a system reprimand would he dare to think that."
Turn this phrase around for clearer reading: He would only dare to think that here, where he was so close to the Reprimand..." Or whatever, my phrase was kind of clumsy there. Also if you've capitalized Reprimand the first time do it always.

That's as many nits as I can see.
I liked it very much. I'd read more. I'm intrigued.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apeiron
Member # 2565

- posted      Profile for apeiron   Email apeiron         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everyone's comments so far, except that I think you should leave in that the Reprimand causes pain as well as possibly death. If I don't know the consequences, why should I care about what he's about to do?

Good start!

Posts: 184 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellepepper
Member # 3520

Ok, the 'marker' is actually nothing more than a piece of the old gate that used to be there. It says about two sentences later that it just looks like more rubble. No one but Curtis' people even know there is a dividing line there.

As to the * I can't figure out how to do italics on these codes. when I copied it came out funky so I had to set it off somehow.

Thanks for catching it. "System Reprimand" is correct. Also, I thought I was pretty clear that the Reprimand could be fatal {it had almost killed him last time.}

Aust Alien
Member # 3493

- posted      Profile for Aust Alien   Email Aust Alien         Edit/Delete Post 
Love it so far.
Can I crit the entire chapter?

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.