Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Spring Planting

Author Topic: Spring Planting
Omakase
Member # 2915

- posted      Profile for Omakase   Email Omakase         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I haven't posted anything for a while and I've been trying to write a little non-SF, so here we go.
This is a short story about 2300 words or so. I guess it falls into the 'literary' bucket.
Looking for comments about the narrative voice and, of course, does it interest you to read further?
Thanks - All comments appreciated!

To casual passersby it appeared that Sweet John was drowsing in the easy chair on his front porch, his eyelids half closed as he watched the field. For years a camp chair had been anchored in this same spot, but now that Sweet John was nearing his seventy-third year upon this Earth he had felt it incumbent to replace the camp chair with an easy chair from the living room, despite the protestations of his wife, Junie. His justification for this action - which he rejoined whenever scolded that the chair wasn’t waterproof or water resistant or water anything and it didn’t belong on a porch - was that he needed a comfortable seat if he were to maintain his vigilance and have any skylarking success at driving off the interlopers. He did nod off on some sunny afternoons when the breeze was soft and sweet,

[This message has been edited by Omakase (edited July 05, 2006).]

Posts: 179 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
No problems per se. I would like to know why I'd want to keep reading. I like MC, but I'm not sure yet that I want to read about him.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the voice.

Nits:

quote:
To casual passersby it appeared that Sweet John was drowsing in the easy chair on his front porch, his eyelids half closed as he watched the field.

The punctuation would lead me to believe that the second clause was still the impression of the passersby. Try it with a different scene: "To casual passersby it appeared that Dave was eating a peach, his chin dribbling juice as he slurped the flesh." I'd try to make a cleaner separation between reality and the passersby's impressions, maybe by saying something like "but his eyes were scanning his field from behind half-closed eyelids."

quote:
For years a camp chair had been anchored in this same spot, but now that Sweet John was nearing his seventy-third year upon this Earth he had felt it incumbent to replace the camp chair with an easy chair from the living room, despite the protestations of his wife, Junie.

This is a little breathless. I'd make little cuts ("upon this Earth", change "the camp chair" to "it") and move Junie's reaction to the next sentence. (To my ear, it sounds too much like an afterthought designed to introduce her.) If you don't like that, you might consider lengthening the sentence slightly, but using careful punctuation to give little intermediate pauses.

You also might consider rephrasing a little bit to avoid saying "chair" so much -- "easy chair", "camp chair", "camp chair", and "easy chair" in two sentences felt like a little much.

quote:
the chair wasn’t waterproof or water resistant or water anything and it didn’t belong on a porch

I really liked this. I know couples like Junie and Sweet John. You might consider that we don't know whether or not their interactions are affectionate yet, which means the tone is somewhat ambiguous. If that's good, then great, and if not, then maybe there's a way to change it.

Like I said, I like the voice. I'd keep reading. I'd like to know if something's going to happen with this old curmudgeon pretty soon, though.

Regards,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the nits, and I'd keep reading.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Something about the usages felt a bit wrong.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.