Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » First 13 of . . . a story with no name.

Author Topic: First 13 of . . . a story with no name.
Corin224
Member # 2513

- posted      Profile for Corin224   Email Corin224         Edit/Delete Post 
So . . . this is my first non-technical writing endeavor in a few years. I've always had trouble with pacing, and am working on a bit of a process to fix it, but I'm to the point where I think my objectivity on this piece of work is gone. I could use a bit of feedback.

So far, all I have is about 1700 words of the opening scene, and another 10 or 20 thousand words of random other scenes I wanted to flesh out, but which will make no sense until I get them all sewn together. I have no idea how long this story will be.

Anyway, here's the first 13 of the opening scene . . . actually 15 lines. It was a better stopping point. Any feedback would be appreciated.

*shudder*

Getting criticism. I just dread this part.

(Edit) For those who care and want to see the full scene, the full version has a couple profanities in it. Not excessive, but my MC is a bit more rough around the edges than her colleagues. Just a wee warning.(/Edit)

Deep space ships didn't have windows, everybody knew that, but the display looked so real. Talya reached her hand out to touch it, expecting the feel of glass, despite knowing that the only thing there was a steel wall. Sure enough, just the steel. She pulled away again, and leaned back against her overturned desk to absorb the view. The stars blurred, streaking by her viewport, all the while shimmering with the uncertainty of rounding errors and imperfect navigational readings. Whether it was atmospheric distortions, or mathematical artifacts, it seemed the stars always twinkled.
Her office door clunked softly as it slid open. She didn't even have to look. It was Faith. She'd been getting closer for a while now. Talya had thought of trying to hide,

[This message has been edited by Corin224 (edited July 06, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited July 06, 2006).]

Posts: 121 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pergascript
Member # 3539

- posted      Profile for Pergascript   Email Pergascript         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi email me the scene - better for feedback

martin.odonnell@cibasc.com

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
How does glass feel different from steel?

I don't see a reason to introduce twinkling into the display, since stars don't twinkle in space.

I didn't get the last long paragraph -- it was about the 2 women's relationship, but I didn't have anything to hang it on, really.

I didn't get hooked here. What's the reason to read this story? Maybe tell us in paragraph 1.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corin224
Member # 2513

Well, aside from bumping this post up to the top again, I was curios if wbriggs could clarify something for me.

quote:
I didn't get the last long paragraph -- it was about the 2 women's relationship, but I didn't have anything to hang it on, really.

I didn't get hooked here. What's the reason to read this story? Maybe tell us in paragraph 1.

Hmm. I was trying to communicate 3 things, which I thought were the "hook" and I'm curious if I just flat out missed it, and if so what I can do about it. I wanted to show . . .

1) The two women are telepathic. I was hoping the "Oooh! Telepaths!" factor might kick in long enough to get the reader through the next few paragraphs.
2) One of the women feeling horror and sadness, I was HOPING would convey the message of "something interesting happened."
3) The MC, despite being comforted by her friend's presence doesn't want to see her . . . again indicating "something interesting happened."

Not interestig enough? Or didn't pull it off?

-Falken224 (posing as Corin)

[This message has been edited by Corin224 (edited July 06, 2006).]

Posts: 121 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
KDW edited that part.

You're not well focused on the relevant issues in this opening. If you want us to be hooked by telepaths, then start with telepaths. If you want us to be hooked by the starship, then stick with that. But concentrate on presenting the most important thing clearly.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corin224
Member # 2513

KDW . . . Really? that's 13 lines? I have to set my font up to 18 point to get 13 lines out of that. Did I miss something?

Anyway . . . that question aside . . .

I've always hated unloading the major plot point in the first paragraph. It's so jarring. I don't even like READING stories that do that. Is there really not even a couple paragraphs I can use to set the scene and provide just the hint of a character?

Okay, that little half-question / half-whine is out of my system now . . . I'll see if I can re-work it and re-post it up under a new topic when I'm done.

oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
KDW . . . Really? that's 13 lines? I have to set my font up to 18 point to get 13 lines out of that. Did I miss something?

I'm using Microsoft Word 2003, 1" margins, 12-point Courier New, and I get essentially the same thing Kathleen did at 13 lines. It might fit another word or two on the end of the last line, but it's close.

quote:
I've always hated unloading the major plot point in the first paragraph. It's so jarring. I don't even like READING stories that do that.

Me, too.

Of course you _can_ set up setting and character -- but it has to (a) be sufficiently interesting, and (b) get paid off by the rest of the story. That's why you should start with something powerfully interesting that's directly related to key elements of the story, whether those elements are character, setting, concept, or conflict. And in a short story, you won't have space for much of each, so you probably need to fuse them all together as much as possible.

In this case, you're setting a tone, but to do so you're focusing on the things that aren't the crux of the story; you're actually starting with a digression. Instead, as Survivor said, consider setting the tone using telepathy, or by getting into the head of the woman to whom something interesting happened -- and preferably by giving us something about what the interesting thing was, so we'll know why we should keep reading about her.

I should point out that I like some stories that survive on nothing but good voice, but that's not usually commercial fiction.

Regards,
Oliver

[Edited to eliminate a misplaced "not".]

[This message has been edited by oliverhouse (edited July 07, 2006).]

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Falken/Corin, the reply box is sized now so that 13 manuscript lines in courier 12-point fits exactly. So anything that doesn't fit inside the reply box (not counting blank lines between paragraphs) gets cut.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corin224
Member # 2513

Sweeet.

Good Ms. KDW, that's why you kick ass.

I'm a web developer in my day job. You'd think I would have come up with that.

I think when I originally pasted it, it wasn't in courier. So, my bad.

Thanks everybody for the feedback.

[This message has been edited by Corin224 (edited July 08, 2006).]

Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
If you still need readers for the whole scene, send it my way.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aust Alien
Member # 3493

- posted      Profile for Aust Alien   Email Aust Alien         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to crit whatever there is of this Corifalkenrin. :-)
Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole
Member # 3549

- posted      Profile for Nicole   Email Nicole         Edit/Delete Post 
Me likes this story. I'll read too. Don't know if I'll be of much help but send it my way: justforkeeks@yahoo.com

It might take me a week or so, though.

Nicole

Posts: 89 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corin224
Member # 2513

I know I said this already in the e-mails I sent you all, but thanks a ton for looking through this. It's actually starting to feel like a real story coming together.

Many thanks.

-Falken

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the twinkling.
Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the way you described the feeling of a space window.
Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.