Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Bad Man: 3000 word short

Author Topic: Bad Man: 3000 word short
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
Some profanity, a dead guy with no face, and I'm trying for a mood that will make you reach for your Prozac (but this is only draft three, so I might have achieved unintentionally hysterical melodrama instead).

Here are the first 13 lines. Let me know if anyone wants to read the rest.

He always said, “I’m a bad man trying to be good.” But he wasn’t trying very hard.
Selkie found him sprawled in the yard on a Sunday morning. The sky still glowed more pearl than pink, and the wet grass chilled her feet when she stepped off the porch.
She saw the bottle first, and always remembered it clearest. She stared at the brown glass, the red and white label, looked at that bottle so she didn’t have to look directly at the feet and legs. So she wouldn’t have to lift her eyes and trace the legs up to the waist, over the mounding gut, beyond it to the face. Something wrong with the face.
I told you I’d leave if you ever drank again, Carl. I told you. Oh god, I don’t want to have to leave you. I don’t.

Edited to fix first person tense (I hope) and make it clearer that she doesn't know yet (or isn't admitting to herself) that he's dead.

Second editing attempt.

[This message has been edited by Louiseoneal (edited July 10, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Louiseoneal (edited July 11, 2006).]

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
It's rather confusing. The man has no name, and it's not completely obvious that he's her husband until the end of the excerpt.

Also, your first sentence is misleading. If you had said something like "He had said, 'I'm a bad man trying to be good.' But he hadn't tried very hard." Writing him in the past tense makes it easier to accept that he's dead.

Overall, you need to work on the POV. The beginning paragraphs are written like it's after the fact of him being dead, but the last bits seem to be her not knowing he's dead as she walks in the door. Basically, it needs a bit more clarity before I'll read on.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
You might be more successful at conveying the fact that he's dead if you mention the fact that he's laying in the grass. I pictured her maybe sitting on the step, eyes downcast, with him standing in front of her.

Too much repetition of "she stared" for me. It didn't strike me as stylish, more as an editing error.

I liked the description about the dawn. I'd like to know immediately her emotion. Is she upset? nervous? Grim? Inject a hint of her emotional state. It's always better if *I* can feel it, too.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Ray, thanks Elan.

Elan, she gets emotional a line or two later, but I might try to get it in there earlier, since I want people to keep reading. I'll have to figure that out.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read.
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pergascript
Member # 3539

- posted      Profile for Pergascript   Email Pergascript         Edit/Delete Post 
hi louise
I'd like to read it - enjoyed your last story
this has a nice hook

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like it.

That's about all I have to say.

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
I found the phrase, "...and always remembered it clearest" to be a little intrusive. It seems you want the reader to suspect Carl's dead, even though the character doesn't. This makes the reader have to work to see through two different perspectives right from the start, and blunts Selkie's eventual revelation.

I think I understand what you are going for, that she sees him peripherally even while looking at the bottle, but the statement "Something wrong with the face." has the same mildly intrusive feel.

I'm confused as to what POV you mean to be using here (because I still don't have a great grasp of POV to start with). I can't tell if this keeps to a single POV, but something about it seems inconsistent...I think I feel that way because you don't tag her internal dialogue. Will that part eventually be in italics?

Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

I suppose it needs to be, Novice, if it gets confusing. I better send the whole thing to a couple of readers and see if it needs to be from there, and work out POV for the whole thing. You are finding problems with it that I did not see because I am the one who wrote it, so I am too close to it at the moment. And I appreciate your help, too!

Edited to add: I also don't usually get so all out evil to my POV characters, and the difficulty I had in writing it is warping my perspective and making editing hard too, I'm afraid.

[This message has been edited by Louiseoneal (edited July 11, 2006).]

Marva
Member # 3171

- posted      Profile for Marva   Email Marva         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps drop the first sentence. It doesn't fit in with the scene. I kind of like her just finding him laying in the grass.

Then, a bit further down, use the first sentence to give the reader a grasp of the dead guy's personality (pre-death).

Posts: 153 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.