Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » First 13 of Sci Fi

Author Topic: First 13 of Sci Fi
Aust Alien
Member # 3493

- posted      Profile for Aust Alien   Email Aust Alien         Edit/Delete Post 
Kiash could tell at first sight that the Skyfarer was new to the region. As the group made their way through the forest, the Skyfarer's discomfort on the horse was obvious.
Jozesh crouched in the undergrowth beside Kiash. "He looks at the ground."
"Hmmm?" Kiash queried.
"He keeps looking at the ground, see. That one: third from the end down there. He is nervous about falling. I think he's not ridden those camels before."
"They're called 'horses'," Kiash corrected. "But no, he doesn't seem to have ridden before. At least not on animals."
Members of the Faithful from in on the more populated plains had reported that the Skyfarers dug long tunnels under the ground,

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Genre? Word count? What are you looking for from readers?
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
This scene isn't well established.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verdant
Member # 3498

- posted      Profile for Verdant   Email Verdant         Edit/Delete Post 
I presume this is SciFi, I also presume it is a short story, it feels compact.

I was confused because you capitalized Skyfarer. I thought it might be the name of a ship or some other craft - a proper title. Then when we learn that the nervous skyfarer is the third one from the end, the implication is that there are multiple skyfarers - why is he capitalized in the first two sentances?

Another issue I had was that I found it difficult to believe that Kiash did not know what a horse was if his partner does. Both seem to be hiding so they should be affiliated; are they members of the Faithful?

I presume also that you mean the members of the Faithful in the more populated plains.

My final confusion was why would the skyfarers dig long tunnels under the ground. Their name implies travel or life in the skies and you imply that at least one is uncomfortable with land travel so why would they dig into the ground? If they do dig into the ground, why name them skyfarers and why would they be uncomfortable travelling on the ground.

These arer just my thoughts and I realize that you only have 13 lines to post here. My confusion could easily be cleared up in the story, but I'm so confused right now I probably wouldn't read on.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
The skyfarer thing threw me off too. I thought instanty that it was a ship.

I'd say that you need to establish setting right off and give us something to latch onto before we quickly get so confused that we lose interest and stop reading.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aust Alien
Member # 3493

- posted      Profile for Aust Alien   Email Aust Alien         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Great feedback. This was an alternative opening to a novel I am working on. The opening didn't quite work. Now I see why. Some of the issues - why their digging tunnels, which are the Faithful, what are the Skyfarers etc get resolved in the next several paragraphs, but clearly the confusion has already done the damage.

Given me ideas of how to fix it up (or rewrite it totally). Thanks guys!

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acadia5
Member # 3181

- posted      Profile for acadia5   Email acadia5         Edit/Delete Post 

Okay, the first thing that stands out to me is that the character Jozesh is intelligent enough to recognize that Skyfarer is not a competent rider, yet he does not know the difference between a camel and a horse." That strikes me as odd. It's possible to speculate a reason for this, but it's more likely to unsettle the reader as it did me. The both of them are much too assuming given the limited evidence about the rider. Kaish seems to imply that just because Skyfarer doesn’t look comfortable on this horse, he is not skilled on any animal. There needs to be more facts to back that up. Maybe Skyfarer’s companions watch him tentatively, perhaps going so far as to lead the horse while he simply clings to it’s back. Just need to make it more obvious that he is out of place because apparently these two, Jozesh and Kaish, are not experts in horseback riding themselves. If you are trying to establish that they are, the Jozesh needs to be smarter, or Kaish needs to agree with Jozesh that Skyfarer is indeed riding a camel and he isn’t an adept rider by any means.

Good luck on your revisions!

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlleyPat
Member # 3582

- posted      Profile for AlleyPat   Email AlleyPat         Edit/Delete Post 
I do my best to avoid passive styles in the first paragraph of anything, this means no "was" and "were" if I can at all help it.

I wish this thing let us look at the post when we posted our reply. arg.

It's tuff to do, but it sounded interesting, like there was a hint of a story. Maybe there could be more. I'd try to put something in those first 13 lines that makes us pay attention.

I'll go back and reread it. I didn't realize we couldn't read it while we replied, sorry.

Alley

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlleyPat
Member # 3582

OK I pasted it into Word so I could see it as I type here...

Let's break this down a bit...

<<Kiash could tell at first sight that the Skyfarer was new to the region.>>

I try to avoid "could" anything, because if he could, then why not just say that he did it? It's more direct and active. Always be as direct and active as possible in writing. I call this "passive writing" in that we aren't being active/direct, like we could say "Kiash saw", that is direct and active and gets us in the right direction with much fewer words (tightens).

I'm thinking it was worded this way to set Kiash up as the POV character when mentioned Skyfarer in the same sentence. From this first sentence, I'd recommend starting off with only the main POV (Point Of View) character (char) for the whole book, not to mention the scene, and don't add another character at least until the second sentence, preferably the second par.

Show vs tell - this first sentence TELLS us what Kiash observed. The reader wants to be shown. This makes the story much more interesting, to allow the story to be revealed thru showing, not short hand telling us, which means it's usually regurgitated thru the author's mind first. Show us why Kiash thinks this way.

<<As the group made their way through the forest, the Skyfarer's discomfort on the horse was obvious. >>

POV? Their??? Set up your main char POV in this first scene and get the reader to identify with him/her so they will care about him/her. "Their" doesn't identify with anyone at this point and removes the reader from caring or identifying with any particular char. If needed, say something like Kiash and his followers, or something like that.

POV? Skyfarer's discomfort was obvious to whom? This is telling the reader that Skyfarer was uncomfortable on the horse. But what does that LOOK like? He shifted in his saddle? He fidgeted? He listed, dropped the reins, winced at each bounce? Etc.

<<"Hmmm?" Kiash queried>>

"Kiash queried" is repeating what the ? shows us. Show as much as possible, don't tell and don't repeat or be obvious if possible. Use the tag line or attribute to move the story or don't use one at all, or just say "Kiash asked" or "Kiash said". Use the attribute to provide more information, description, action, etc., that moves the story in the direction toward building the plot.

I like the rest of the dialogue. It has a good sound to it.

OK I hope this helps. Remember these are just my opinions. Good luck with your writing.
Alley

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
AlleyPat...at the bottom of your "post reply" screen you will find a smaller box with the current discussion in it. This took me a few weeks to find, when I first started here, but now I use it all the time.

AustAlien - Your first sentence sets up that you have two points of action, Kiash observing and the Skyfarer doing something else. But then you move to "As the group made their way through the forest..." It's unclear whether "the group" refers to Kiash and companions, or the Skyfarer and companions. You never really clear this up, and I can't be certain if both groups are in the forest, or if Kiash is in the forest, watching the Skyfarer move through some landscape near the forest...or even vice versa.

I liked Jozesh's observation about "he looks at the ground", and the way he infers from this that the Skyfarer is nervous about falling. This says a lot about both Jozesh and the Skyfarer (though you do need to clarify some of the pronouns, to avoid more confusion.)

The comment "At least, not on animals." is a bit out of place. There's no evidence, yet, of other things to ride on...and it seems like the opener for an "As You Know, Bob" explanation.

It's hard to establish a lot of different things in the first 13. You are trying to introduce 3 characters, a setting, and part of your plot. Now, I think you've done all three with some success, but it might feel more solid if you concentrated on just one of those aspects, then more gradually expand the text to incorporate the rest.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlleyPat
Member # 3582

ahhhhh I see now, thanks Novice. I didn't realize it scrolled.

Alley
www.ntsfw.com

oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
AlleyPat...at the bottom of your "post reply" screen you will find a smaller box with the current discussion in it. This took me a few weeks to find, when I first started here, but now I use it all the time.

You're faster than me. I could have used that about a billion times by now. I always wondered why they had that second banner at the bottom, too, but never noticed there was a scroll bar on it.

Thanks!

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aust Alien
Member # 3493

Thanks guys. These are great help.

Thanks for the explanations as that's helping me not just on this little bit but on some other areas.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.