Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Toast: Or how I came to the realization I just can't cook!

Author Topic: Toast: Or how I came to the realization I just can't cook!
Craigrs
Member # 3616

- posted      Profile for Craigrs   Email Craigrs         Edit/Delete Post 
This is something I was working on a while back. It’s a scifi story that is more or less going to be two guys playing a practical joke, with a bit of a twist, on a friend that is a little gullible and really into time travel books. The story is pretty much completed, but I am not so good at choosing starting points. My last one wasn’t very catchy, I was wondering if this one is and if not any suggestions would be very welcome. EDIT k I can't seem to italicize so I will just put the note contents in quotation marks.

"If you had one chance to convince yourself that you were you, well what would you say, or rather write?"
The note before him was odd, but it did manage to grab his attention so he read on.
"Ever had one of those days? You know the kind I’m talkin’ about. The kind of day where your toast is charcoal and your eggs certainly aren’t sunny side up. Everything, and I do mean everything that can go wrong, will, and everything that will go wrong, will really go wrong. Well Jimmy my boy, you are about to have one of those days."
“Kerraakkk” the toaster chimed as a charred piece of toast shot up.

[This message has been edited by Craigrs (edited August 07, 2006).] shot as opposed to the Pope jumping out...hehehe

[This message has been edited by Craigrs (edited August 07, 2006).]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marva
Member # 3171

- posted      Profile for Marva   Email Marva         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know. I think I'd leave off the first two lines and start with "Did you ever have..." I was confused about the first two, but clicked in on the third.

Posts: 153 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the note supposed to be in italics? I think that would clear up some confusion I had reading it.
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I just had a vision of the Pope springing out of the toaster! Thankyou.

PS:I like the tone. I would also skip that first line.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited August 06, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Woodie
Member # 3346

- posted      Profile for Woodie   Email Woodie         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Marva that the first two lines made no sense to me until I got to the third, and even then I'm pretty much lost. I think a good snapshot of who Jimmy is would be a good place to start. Let me know who I'm supposed to be interested in, otherwise I'm just reading words with no attachment. Maybe have Jimmy cursing himself out for burning the toast before he gets the note.
Posts: 88 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Louiseoneal
Member # 3494

- posted      Profile for Louiseoneal   Email Louiseoneal         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the hook at the end. It made me want to keep reading to find out what terrible things will befall poor ole Jimmy.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.