Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Sacred Days

Author Topic: Sacred Days
Mitch
Member # 3681

- posted      Profile for Mitch   Email Mitch         Edit/Delete Post 
Growing up, Halum Deluckim had everything taken care of for him: all he had to do was listen, learn and show that he understood. And half the time he couldn’t even do that. He wasn’t taught responsibility from the teachers in the orphanage who had long since given up on him. He was just a pawn for their games, he’d decided, one after another as they modeled him to fit their ideal role for him.

When he was sixteen he had to take the Test of Faith to see if he could become a clergyman--the only responsibility ever granted to those raised in the orphanages. He had deliberately failed so he couldn’t hold himself accountable later for molding young orphans like he’d been molded. And here he was, five years later, a miserable cleaner because of it.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cll
Member # 3673

- posted      Profile for cll   Email cll         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay,

I like the concept but the writing needs work. First, your character name is too much. It's the "m" sound in both names that is bothering me. I'm fine with Halum Deluck or Hal Deluckim but not both together. Second, I know you can start a sentence with the word "and" but this sentence doesn't need it. Lines three and four were too wordy. I think if you can find a shorter way to convey these facts it would keep my interest more. I almost think you started your story too early because it doesn't really grab me and make me want to keep reading. The thing I loved was the concept of the MC deliberately failing his test so he wouldn't have to mold kids but the sentence needs sharpening.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Plot summary. It's interesting plot, but it's still a summary.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stormy
Member # 3714

- posted      Profile for Stormy   Email Stormy         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with cll, I think it might start too early but I love the concept you've presented. The points of the character's history can be clarified later through memory, when the information becomes relevant to what he is doing. I get the feeling that the important actions happen when he is a cleaner, so it might be good to start off describing the concrete reality of what is around him now as a cleaner and then get into the action and let the memory seep in as necessary.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
What Survivor said. A story is a collection of scenes, IMHO, with occasional summary to skip dull parts. What's the first scene in this story? I'd say start there, possibly with a preceding "free" paragraph of summary, if it's needed.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.