Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Stranded/general 13 lines only

Author Topic: Stranded/general 13 lines only
the end of the universe
Member # 3716

- posted      Profile for the end of the universe   Email the end of the universe         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! Would any of you fine people be able to read over just... just the first 13 lines of my ummm... beginning of a novel? I would appreciate it greatly!

"Is anyone out there?" her voice seemed to drift monotonously over the surrounding sea. She waited a moment, head tilted to the side, hearing only the lapping of waves against her driftwood of a boat. "No of course not..." she sighed letting her fingertips once again slip into the semi warm water that seemed to surround her for miles. How many hours had it been, she wondered, a day? It couldn’t have been more than that; the sun had set only a few hours before.

The last thing she could remember were her fingers gliding over the harpsichord, a mile above the earth, people dancing all around her, congratulating her on her fine achievements. She was the first woman in a century to captain her own airship, the beautiful, controversial Cenrise.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MommaMuse
Member # 3622

- posted      Profile for MommaMuse   Email MommaMuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it's just a product of my ADD, but 13 lines isn't nearly enough for me. I WANT MORE! MWA HAHAHAHAAA

Ahem...

I'd like to know more!

Posts: 105 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the end of the universe
Member # 3716

- posted      Profile for the end of the universe   Email the end of the universe         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*
no comments ;_;

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saintjames
Member # 3713

- posted      Profile for saintjames           Edit/Delete Post 
I have two "personal opinion" edits. First off, I wouldn't use the word monotone. It makes me think that the speaker has a lack of emotion, instead of something expected e.g. desperation. My next edit would be to the second paragraph:
quote:
The last thing she could remember were her fingers gliding over the harpsichord, a mile above the earth, people dancing all around her, congratulating her on her fine achievements. She was the first woman in a century to captain her own airship, the beautiful, controversial Cenrise.

I became a little confused about the first sentence, because I did not know she was talking about flying an airship. I thought I'd have to consult a dictionary when I saw "harpsichord." But this could be remedied by mentioning the airship first and then her experiences with it, just so the subject of discussion is clear.

~Saint

Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughts:

*Give us a name. Why not?
*To whom does her voice seem to drift?
* I don't follow what's happening in paragraph 1. Why is she calling out? Couldn't she see anybody who might be there?
* The last thing she remember *should* be being on that boat. Maybe this is the last thing she remembers BEFORE being on the boat.
* Give us the significance of what's happening. I don't know how she feels about the problem. Sad? Angry? Scared? Is she afraid she's going to die? Or will a satellite detect her really soon now?

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stormy
Member # 3714

- posted      Profile for Stormy   Email Stormy         Edit/Delete Post 
One rule of thumb, avoid the word 'seem' unless you are implying that the appearance is different from the reality. For one, it is often superfluous ie ""Is anyone out there?" her voice seemed to drift..." It's ok for her voice to simply drift.

Another thing to avoid is filtering. Mostly I understand this in concept rather than practice so if it doesn't make sense please ignore my babble. It is when you describe the actions of a character instead of presenting them through the eyes of the character. It's difficult to spot but is often signaled with "s/he did..." starting too many sentances in a row.

"She waited a moment, head tilted to the side, hearing only the lapping of waves against her driftwood boat."

"A moment passed but only the lapping of waves against her driftwood of a boat greeted her straining ears"

These are more technique and fine tuning things though. I think what you have submitted is really interesting and I'm hooked.

[This message has been edited by Stormy (edited August 22, 2006).]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cll
Member # 3673

- posted      Profile for cll   Email cll         Edit/Delete Post 
You definately hooked me. I want to know what is going on. Like momma muse I want more. Maybe that stilted my critique but I didn't see any major problems.

cll

Posts: 92 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cll
Member # 3673

- posted      Profile for cll   Email cll         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay,
I reread it and read the other reviews. I came up with: cut the modifier monotonously. You don't need it. I think you need a comma after she sighed. I think St. James comments and stormies were right on and wbriggs need for a name and remembering before the boat comments were also good. Really, just little tweaks.

cll

Posts: 92 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne
Member # 3675

- posted      Profile for Wayne   Email Wayne         Edit/Delete Post 
The first thing I want to do is thank you for posting the fragment. When I read it, I thought that no one would find anything wrong with it. Then I read the replies - particularly Stormy's - and I learned some STUFF!

I also agree about dropping monotonously.

Having said that, I want to add that I think you've got a really good beginning here. If the rest is anything like it, you've got a winner.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.