Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » "Going Down?" Realistic Short Story

Author Topic: "Going Down?" Realistic Short Story
Stormy
Member # 3714

- posted      Profile for Stormy   Email Stormy         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone is interested in the rest let me know, otherwise the any imput is much appreciated. Thanks!

“Good morning” never seemed like a pick-up line to me until I met Natalie. It was over two months ago, on the first Monday in March, that she gave new meaning to that simple greeting and caused me to begin to seriously consider the erotic capacities of the elevator in our building.
That morning I jabbed at the up arrow on the wall until it decided to light and opened my newspaper to wait for my ride down to the lobby. I never actually read much of the newspaper but it always seemed like the right way to start a morning. Every day I forget how much I hate journalists until I scan the front page. Mostly I just end up in the comics anyways.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cll
Member # 3673

- posted      Profile for cll   Email cll         Edit/Delete Post 
It's good. I liked it but I'm not entirely sure that I'm hooked. My only point to mention is that if the MC is pushing the up button, how can he be going down to the lobby?

Does this story have genre and what is the word count?

Thanx,
cll

Posts: 92 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corin224
Member # 2513

- posted      Profile for Corin224   Email Corin224         Edit/Delete Post 
ROFL!

I love it.

If you need a reader, count me in.

-Falken224 (posing as Corin)

Posts: 121 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne
Member # 3675

- posted      Profile for Wayne   Email Wayne         Edit/Delete Post 
I would omit "on the first Monday in March". If the date is important, you could stress it later.

I agree with cll about the up arrow. Even if he's in the basement, I'd move him because of the double entendre in the title.

I would omit "until it decided to light"

"Every day I forget how much I hate journalists until I scan the front page." I like what you're saying here, but I don't like the way you're saying it, and I don't have a good fix. Maybe something like, "Every time I read the front page I'm reminded how much I hate reporters."

I would use reporters instead of journalists, since you hate them. For instance, if you hated politicians, you wouldn't say you hated statesmen.

I assume this is erotic fiction, and if I'm right, that's a good title. I would be surprised if it hasn't already been used, though.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stormy
Member # 3714

- posted      Profile for Stormy   Email Stormy         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys! All of you had helpful comments, I didn't even notice the 'up arrow' thing.

its 1,046 words (roughly 4 dbl spc pages) and its not erotic fiction so much as humorous fiction i guess. I'm not all that great at putting genres in specific terms but thats what i would call it.

Corin, is there a place I can send the full version (with the rewrites from cll and Wayne) for you to read? I would love to hear feedback on the whole thing.

Thank you all again so much!

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aemon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Stormy,

Feel free to send it along to me. jason.r.cody@us.army.mil. I have some of the same reservations that Wayne has, but I am interested in the story and I'll take a look at it. There are a number of good ideas in the opening, but it seems to get a little tongue-tied towards the end. And there are a couple of other phrases that can probably be shortened or dropped to make it flow a little better.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
How many words?

I like the voice. I also agree that I don't care the precise date of the event, at this point.

“Good morning” never seemed like a pick-up line to me until I met Natalie. THAT DAY IN THE ELEVATOR...

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a little scattered.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skarecrow
Member # 3798

- posted      Profile for Skarecrow           Edit/Delete Post 
i like it just the way it is....your specific reference of the date means (to me) that it was very memorable to the MC, and ought to be in there just the way it is...it also reads nice and easy....keep it in....
Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricWiz
Member # 3801

- posted      Profile for EricWiz           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the way it rolls. Seems to me like a great way to start a horror story. I like the voice too. It 'sounds' like you are telling a story.

The up arrow is weird but you've heard that already.

About the first Monday in March: I agree with Skarecrow. It sounds like an important date to MC.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green_Writer
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for Green_Writer   Email Green_Writer         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. Slightly reminds me of Bright Lights, Big City.

[This message has been edited by Green_Writer (edited September 04, 2006).]

Posts: 67 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ted.O
Member # 3708

- posted      Profile for Ted.O   Email Ted.O         Edit/Delete Post 
Stormy,

I think you hook the reader right off, becauses, like your narrator, few of us have ever considered "Good morning," a pick up line. So I like the beginning. But perhaps you need to let the reader know pretty quickly if your narrator/character is male or female. Perhaps, for literary reasons, you're holding off on that.

I also liked the phrase "the erotic capabilities of our elevator," or something to that effect. What, are you concerned that whatever follows might snap the elevator cables?

Please permit a little mechanical suggestion. (Perhaps I'm overstepping my bounds, here) Instead of "to begin to consider..." why not try "begin considering the erotic capabilities..." I think it flows just a little smoother.

Good luck.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.