Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Mobius Key, dark fantasy WIP

Author Topic: Mobius Key, dark fantasy WIP
DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

- posted      Profile for DeepDreamer   Email DeepDreamer         Edit/Delete Post 
These are the first 13 lines of a novelette/novella I've been working on/struggling to finish. Genre: Dark fantasy Approximate length: maybe 15-20K, though I'm looking to chisle this down to 12-15K.

Anyway, I just want comments and criticism on the first 13, and readers for part 1 (of 5). Have at it, and pull no punches.

quote:

The air was stale and still within the walls of the abandoned warehouse, except for where the demon DerLuminás stood. There an otherworldly wind swirled. The demon's long black cloak flapped about his ankles, revealing a few inches of impeccably white boots. Beneath thick locks of hair that flowed and flickered like oily black snakes, his face was perfectly motionless. His amber eyes stared through a broken window at a spot in the distance where his prey would soon be arriving.

On a pile of crates behind him, a squarish disc of kinto -- a crystal infused with Light, used often in magic but more commonly as currency -- began to vibrate and cast flecks of crimson Light around the otherwise dark room. A woman's voice, crisp and authoritative, emanated from the crystal.

-=-=-=-
Is the description overloaded? Is there enough tension in these first few lines? Would you read on? Would you be willing to read a long story written from this bad guy's point of view? Anything else I should know?

Thanks,
DD

Posts: 34 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
I think writing from a bad guy's POV is fine, especially if this is Dark Fantasy. I think it may even be expected then.

The only place where I felt that the explanation was really overdone was when you explained what the kinto was. I'd try and work this information into the story more naturally, right now it's just blatant exposition.

Aside from that... there is a lot of description but it's pretty well-done. Some people have an issue with stories that start that way, I don't really. I think it's all good.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carradee
Member # 3739

- posted      Profile for Carradee   Email Carradee         Edit/Delete Post 
My impression:

The description is good but could use a little more tightening so it moves more. Remember that shorter sentences and tighter phraseology help tension in a scene, and the reverse hurts it. As it reads, I was tempted to stop a few times because you hinted at something and took mite overlong to answer it.

For example: "The air was stale and still within the walls of the abandoned warehouse, except for where the demon DerLuminás stood." Once you say "except," I want to know what the exception is. I don't yet care that there's a demon standing there. You could move the next sentence into that and say "except for an otherworldly wind swirling where the demon..."—or, even better, also include where in the warehouse the demon's standing: the center, the corner, against the wall.

The phrase "a spot in the distance where his prey would soon be arriving" also struck me as considerably overlong. Example rephrase: "where his prey would soon appear on the horizon."

I include these rephrases only as examples of what I'm trying to say and jumpstarts to your imagination for you to better consider my comment; I harbor few illusions as to their skill.

So, besides that the description needs to be tightened, my only other comment is to make sure that "Light" must be capitalized.

I hope this helps.

-Misti

[This message has been edited by Carradee (edited August 24, 2006).]

Posts: 8 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zoot
Member # 3176

- posted      Profile for Zoot   Email Zoot         Edit/Delete Post 

There's certainly enough tension. The narrative flows well and you've established the who, why and where of the story.

I don't think you've overloaded the beginning with description, either, though I'm sure some might disagree - providing the next paragraph moves in a different direction I have no problem with it.

Nothing wrong with using a bad guy's POV, providing they pique some kind interest.

I would read on.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne
Member # 3675

- posted      Profile for Wayne   Email Wayne         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an inexperienced writer, but I've been reading a loooong time. This reads well, with the exceptions noted by Misti and not noticed by me.

The POV of the bad guy is a real plus. It's an unhappy quirk of human nature that bad guys are more interesting to us than good guys. I also think it would be more fun to write from a bad guy's POV.

I was surprised at the white shoes. Unless you're going for some sort of symbolism there, they make him come off a little like a demon that Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo might visit on their next "Vacation." Very small point. I prefer my demons monochrome.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lborger33
Member # 3683

- posted      Profile for lborger33   Email lborger33         Edit/Delete Post 
The description is good...not too overdone, and contain intriguing elements (i.e., the white boots that don't exactly co-extist with the normal concept of a "demon").

But if you're looking for a reason to keep reading past 13 lines, there is a shortage of action or tension or...something... in there that just jumps out and grabs the attention and says, "I have to keep going and find out where this is taking me." It's hard to do that with 13 lines, but if you can, then you've got something worth keeping.

For Dark Fantasy, a bad guy's perspective is certainly fine, but I for one, would be curious about WHY I should be interested in the continued welfare of a guy who does awful things for a living. I'm a good person at heart, and I'd always be waiting for the good guy that's going to appear on the scene to do the Bad Guy in and save others from his Evil, you know?

As far as your actual writing and technique... I agree with the previous poster who stated that shortening the structure will create more immediacy and early tension. It'll tend to grab the reader at bit quicker. Long, flowing sentences can be descriptive, but they can also lull a reader's attention, causing him/her to start scanning the page for the next bit of action.

I think you're on a good track, though, and I would be interested in learning more about the character, if only to find out why a "demon" is wearing white and what kind of "prey" he is waiting on. :-)

Posts: 10 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
POV.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

- posted      Profile for DeepDreamer   Email DeepDreamer         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, what great comments! I've been revising like mad, but I'm still not satisfied with what I've come up with.

It's supposed to be 3rd Person Limited Omniscient. Does this revision make the POV stronger? I've also tried to tighten, but now it sounds jerky to me. Does it grab your attention any better? Any suggestions on how to make it flow easier?

Thanks,
DD

quote:

The demon DerLuminas waited in the stillness of the abandoned warehouse, staring outside through the broken window. An otherworldly wind swirled around him.

Days of tracking and endless hours spent waiting were coming to an end, and soon . . . The wind kicked up around him as his anticipation built. His long black cloak flapped about his ankles, revealing a few inches of impeccably white boots. Beneath thick locks of hair that flowed and flickered like oily black snakes, his face was perfectly motionless, his eyes never blinking. His prey would soon be coming this way.

On a pile of crates behind him, a disc of kinto-crystal began to vibrate, and cast flecks of crimson light about the room. A woman's voice, crisp and authoritative, emanated from the crystal.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on the fence with this one. I'm sort of interested in what the demon's up to, but I wouldn't say we're in his POV at all. Omni, yes. Maybe that's OK. If you didn't want omni but 3PL, I'd say we need to know not what he looks like (he's not thinking about that!) but what's happening and what it means to him.)

I would keep reading. I don't know what's happening yet, and it might get interesting. (Usually I say I want to know what POV char knows, as soon as the questions arise, but in this case you're in omni, and I imagine we'll be getting to another POV char soon.)

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne
Member # 3675

- posted      Profile for Wayne   Email Wayne         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure which version I like better - I think I would lean to the first one. I'm hooked on either one.

As for POV, after I read what wbriggs said, I agree that he wouldn't be thinking about what he looked like. It would be hard for me to lose that description, though. Maybe you should start out in omniscient third person?

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lborger33
Member # 3683

- posted      Profile for lborger33   Email lborger33         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the re-write. I like it a lot. It has been tightened up, and each sentence has significance and adds depth and meaning.

You might consider moving the first line of the second paragraph up to be the end of the first paragraph. It feels like it belongs there, at least to me.

I would definintely keep reading.

[This message has been edited by lborger33 (edited August 26, 2006).]

Posts: 10 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I'll buy the self-description if the demon is (as one would suspect) consciously controlling his appearance for some specific reason, but you'd have to tell us that.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

Hmm...Survivor, you really got me thinking. And that got me revising.

quote:
The demon DerLuminás waited in the stillness of the abandoned warehouse. He was fully materialized, despite the fact he'd been ordered to remain noncorporeal. He stared out the broken window at the stone-paved street. Days of tracking and endless hours of waiting were coming to an end, and soon...

An otherworldly wind kicked up around him as his anticipation grew. His long black cloak began to flap about his ankles, revealing a few inches of impeccably white boots. Beneath thick locks of hair that flowed and flickered like oily black snakes, his face was perfectly motionless, his eyes never blinking. His prey would soon be coming this way.

Does this do the trick? The more I look at it, the more I think that this lovely description has to go. *sighs* If this doesn't do the trick, then as a last resort I'll to dig out the Simplification Scissors from my Hatrack Utility Belt and chop away. Hey, where is my HUB anyway? I haven't seen it around in a long time...

Survivor
Member # 213

No, I meant we have to know the reason he is maintaining a specific appearance, why he is showing off his impeccable boots and thick locks of hair. If he doesn't have a particular reason to consciously be aware of it, then it doesn't make sense in his POV.
Iviron
Member # 3729

- posted      Profile for Iviron   Email Iviron         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like the self-description. Before that I was hooked. I don't think he would care what he looks like if he is really
a. breaking the rules
b. about to finish up on some foul deed that it has taken months to bring to culmination.

I think your editing is coming along and this version of the story says all you said before that matters without being too obvious and overdone. I would keep reading but let me ask you why you care that we know what he looks like? I would also ask why we need to be told he is a demon? If he truly is about to speak with someone as alluded to in one of your other posts, could this be brought out in the conversation?

"Where are you, DerLuminás?" A cold voice that could have issued from no human woman's throat called out.
He turned momentarily away from his view of the door of the warehouse with a stiff-lipped grunt and regarded the black crystal perched on a crate. He wanted to ignore the voice, but not even a demon of the third level...

I don't know if the above works for what you are trying to do but my point is I want you to get me right into the action and escalate the tension.

As far as his appearance, if he is maintaining his appearance in a certain way to blend in as a human that would be important, or if he liked being seen in a certain way out of vanity that would reveal something about him. If he were confined to a certain form because he was breaking the rules that might also mean something. Otherwise, as a reader I don't care at this point. Don't tell me about it - just get on with the story.

Anyway, I would keep reading. I like the way it seems you are going with this.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

How's the latest draft?
quote:

DerLuminás waited in the stillness of the abandoned warehouse, staring out through the broken window to the deserted street beyond. Days of tracking and endless hours of waiting were coming to an end. His prey would soon be coming this way.

Behind him, a disc of kinto-crystal began to vibrate, and cast flecks of crimson light about the room. A woman’s voice, crisp and authoritative, emanated from the crystal.

“DerLuminás,” said his mistress the Lady Alexias, self-styled Empress of Elecambria. She could call herself Supreme Goddess of the Omniverse for all he cared, and it wouldn't give her the right to distract him from the hunt. “You there, demon?”

“Here,” he growled. She wouldn’t get away with that insolence much longer.

gsemones
Member # 2362

- posted      Profile for gsemones           Edit/Delete Post 
The description in the first edit did not hook me, though it was vivid and interesting. You started to lose me by the end of the first paragraph, until you mentioned the victim.

I like the third edit mucho! It pulls me in, and I would keep reading.

One other note, I liked the imagery of the air around the demon getting agitated by his moods. Certainly with the story length you are planning, that sort of thing can still be worked in elsewhere (since it's gone in the third edit).

Guerry

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Much better. I like that we also have hints of conflicts and some anticipation of future action. Some POV points could be tightened up, but it's quite good now.
Iviron
Member # 3729

- posted      Profile for Iviron   Email Iviron         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it as well. I hope you will keep some of the other things in the paragraphs following the opening lines. I liked the idea that he was fully materialized and the unnatural wind swirling around him.

This brings us right into the scene. I would definitely keep reading!

Posts: 32 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.