Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » 13 lines, fantasy, feedback wanted

Author Topic: 13 lines, fantasy, feedback wanted
aking
Member # 3722

- posted      Profile for aking   Email aking         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved all the feedback I got the last time I posted the first 13 lines of my prologue. So I thought I would post the first 13 lines of my first chapter. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to read and respond, it is greatly appreciated!!

Xenzues watched his daughter’s soft leather boots, the delicate way she balanced on the balls of her feet, how she slightly shifted her weight. It was hardly noticeable, but efficient enough to help her gain the momentum needed to swing her sword into her opponent. Celestia maintained perfect balance as her weight transferred again, allowing her foot to come up and smash into another man’s chest, causing him to double over. Today, for training, she fought two members of the royal guard.

[This message has been edited by aking (edited August 30, 2006).]

Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
This is 19 lines. (Just count them in the entry box.)
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aking
Member # 3722

Sorry, I'm new at this. I counted it while it was in MS Word, and it came up as 14 lines. How do I edit this? Sorry
Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green_Writer
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for Green_Writer   Email Green_Writer         Edit/Delete Post 
Use the pencil icon above the post.

To format is courier new size 12, 1 inch margins.

[This message has been edited by Green_Writer (edited August 30, 2006).]

Posts: 67 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
These suggestions:

* You're showing us a sporting match. What happens in a sporting match doesn't make good fiction. Even sports movies spend little time in the game itself. You can certainly get by with some, especially the grudge match sort of thing, or "I must prove myself!" but Xeunzes has no conflict or struggle here, so there's nothing to hook me. Maybe start somewhere else?

* Let us know what's happening as soon as it happens. "King Xenzues watched his daughter fight a sword match with two members of the royal guard. He saw her soft leather boots, the delicate way..."

* The other is that I want to know the significance. What's Xenzues feeling, and why is he feeling it? Is he horrified that she's taking the risk, but couldn't say no to her? Proud that she kicks butt? Sad that she's showing her adult abilities and is no longer his little girl?

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
A small suggestion: Change "Xenzues watched his daughter’s soft leather boots..." to "Xenzues watched his daughter Celestia’s soft leather boots..."

That way there is no confusion about who Celestia is. As you have written it, Celestia could just as easily be the opponent.

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the contrast between the "soft leather boots" and the almost dance-like movement of the woman (who we can tell is loved by the descriptive stuff) and the fact that she's sword-fighting and kicking the guy in the chest. The problem with this lovely contrast is that it has the lyrical feel of a "lady's novel," not a swashbuckler, which, given the swordplay, it may be. It's very "sweet" in the way it's written, which may be your intention, but that's an odd way to write a swashbuckler, IMO.

The problem I see with this frag, though, is that nothing is really happening - it doesn't hook me once you get past the initial "dance" part at the beginning. What you may want to ask yourself is, why should the reader care about any of this? Do they know these characters well enough to get involved and interested in that lovely dance movement? Is the girl delicate and lovely, but with a warrior's steely resolve that only shows when necessary? We don't know anything about her, so it's hard to judge how her "soft leather boots" and dance-like movements compare or contribute to her warrior-like qualities (if she has any - or is she just practicing because that's what royals "do" rather than for real practical use??)

I think the second paragraph being so descriptive slows the momentum of the narrative. Could you spread that narrative through the chapter? That might make it more effective.

Perhaps the chapter would be more active if you started with "There's nothing more I can teach her," Pallos told her father. (If he says he's the teacher, we don't need to know he's the sword master here, do we?) Then show them watching her together. That might make a more "active" opening. Just an idea.

I hope my rambling comments are of some use to you.

Lynda

[This message has been edited by Lynda (edited August 30, 2006).]

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aking
Member # 3722

These are really great comments. Thank you! It is such a hard balance of giving information, and telling a story. This scene is suppose to introduce Xenzues as a father pushing his daugther to become the best sword fighter, as well as underlying his internal fears that she will never be good enough. You get the sense that something is about to happen to his daughter, (which it is) that he knows about, (which he does)and he has not told Celestia. Instead he has spent his life trying to prepare her for it, without letting her know the danger she is in. I'll try other ways of beginning it so that it's grabs the reader more. Afterall, this is my first chapter and I want it to be interesting right from the start. Thank you
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I get this paragraph mostly by pasting your last paragraph. I don't mean it as a suggested first paragraph, because you'd need to write your own (less clunky!) version, but I want to show how you can tell us what's up right there in the narrative.

King Xenzues watched his daughter spar in a sword match with her trainers. He was pushing his daugther to become the best sword fighter, but feared that she will never be good enough. The X was about to happen to his daughter, and he had not told her, and he felt ___.

He watched his daughter's soft leather boots, the delicate way...

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
What Will said. Also think about your POV.

If the King is your POV or your are omni (either 3PL or full), let me into his head. If I know what he's concerned about then it is likely to hook me. The fact that he's done everything to hide the truth from his daughter is compelling.

After all, why withhold that information when he's preparing her for whatever X is? I'd read to find out why he hasn't told her.

Doesn't she need to know (as an example) to avoid spindles from a sewing wheel to avoid the bad event? I'm a big fan for the idea if you told Sleeping Beauty why you were trying to protect her, she'd be able to help protect herself.

You don't have to lay out everything but if he knows there is a trouble coming give me a hint in a general way about what it is, why he doesn't think she'll be a good enough swordsman and why she needs to be one. Then you can decribe his watching her fencing and the reader can decide if the King's fears are rational.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
POV and order of information. Also, the names caused problems for me.

Xenzues is watching the sparring match, his attention is therefore drawn to different things than would be the case if he were a contestant. He might know that footwork is important (okay, he does know it), but he only watches her footwork when there is nothing more interesting to watch, such as when she is manuvering for position. When she's executing an attack, the entire business of footwork is subsumed into her overall form, it has no importance of itself. The entire point of the exercise is, erm, the point

Another thing, it is unrealistic to expect Celestia to be a better fighter than anyone capable of making the royal guard. One on one, she might be expected to hold her own against an experienced trainer (an experienced fighter too old and valued to be placed on everyday duty). If she is a special asset at that level, then the royal guard shouldn't know about her existence. If she isn't, then it's silly to have her fighting them.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

Survivor, I disagree. Maybe the point of the scene is that she really *is* as good as any member of the royal guard.
Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Then she shouldn't be sparring with them. Let not thy right hand know....
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor's comments raised other questions for me. These aren't first 13 questions but more general plausability/plot structure ones.

If the King is trying to prepare her for X isn't it better if the people, who I assume must be involved with X, don't know that she's a good swordfighter? Wouldn't the King want this training done secretly? Is it normal in this world for women to train to be swordsmen? If women don't normally train this way, it seems an even greater reasdn for there to be secrecy.

I think the concept of hiring a number of the best trainers in different forms seems more credible than letting her train with the guard especially since it's likely that she started training MUCH earlier than the average person would. Just something to think about.

Also, have you done any research on fighting two opponents? I found a fairly wonderful book which is comprised of illustrations of medieval fighting techniques from a renouned trainer. I bought it because I have a three person fight scene which didn't seem plausible to me. As it turns out, it wasn't. I
rewrote most of my fight scenes as a result.

Not withstanding Hollywood and the rather laughable three person fight scene in Pirates II, it is incredibly difficult to win when the odds are 2 to 1. The only real chance of sucess is if she can disable one of the attackers fairly quickly. While the kick is a good idea, its not very practical because it will take too long for her to recover from (i.e. engage the other opponent) and it exposes her to attack from the other swordsman. There were no illustrations suggesting kicking as a viable defense. I suspect this is because if the other opponent attacks the foot that stays on the ground, he's likely to trip the person and have the advantage in the resulting grapple.

Holding the sword at the midpoint with one hand and thrusting the pommel into his jaw was a suggested attack in the book. She can then flip the blade, turn and attack the other opponent. Positioning is also key.

Contrary to what I thought, a lot of time was spent teaching the knights how to disarm an opponent and win the grapple. In fact, more than 1/2 the illustrations deal with these techniques. It was definately an eye opening reading experience.

I'll bring the book into the office tomorrow and post it so you can look at it if you want.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aking
Member # 3722

I would love to get more information on that book. Thanks! Celestia is a Princess, and has trained since childhood with the royal guards, that is why she is fighting them, they all have the same sword teacher.

Celestia, however, fights with magic. Both her father and her sword trainer are wizards, which the reader doesn't learn about until later, and they are using her sword fighting as a way to channel her magic. That is why she is able to fight multiple opponents at once, she uses magic. She is aware of her magic, but keeps it a secret from her father. He is aware of it but is keeping it a secret from her. I don’t know how detailed I should get, it really is a rather complicated story, but basically her sword fighting abilities are what develop her magic.

I do worry about my sword fighting scenes being believable and I would love to do more research on that. Thanks for all the great discussion; it’s amazing how it’s making me think about the story on a whole.

sojoyful
Member # 2997

Survivor said:
quote:
Then she shouldn't be sparring with them. Let not thy right hand know....
I thought about this on and off all morning. I can definitely see your point...for some stories. But I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible for someone to craft a story in which the royal guard does indeed know about her abilities. It would just have to be internally consistent. I'm not picking on you, Survivor. I just didn't want our friend here to go away thinking it was an impossibility, because if he writes it well and it makes sense, then it's not.

As for the father and daughter using magic in fighting, that sounds like something we ought to know very early, especially since we are in the father's POV. If he's thinking about fighting and talking about fighting and we only learn later that there was a magic element the whole time that we didn't know about, we'll feel jipped. (Of course, perhaps you already intended to tell us, and it just hadn't come up yet. )

[This message has been edited by sojoyful (edited August 31, 2006).]

Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with sojoyful. It isn't fair, particularly to new members, to critique an entire plot based on the first 13. I've had critiques before in this forum where the critique went off on a wild tangent that had nothing to do with what I'd posted, or written. It would be more constructive to stick to what we are seeing, and reserve the plot dissection for a more extensive critique.

As for sparring with the royal guard? It seems entirely appropriate to me. How do you suppose a person gets their training? I think in terms of Paul Atreides in Dune... he sparred often with the Duke's master at arms as part of his training. Getting "better than" is a process. Arriving at the point in the story when the student surpasses the master could be part of the plot?

As to the specifics about THIS 13... I'm choking on Xenzues's name. I cannot imagine how it is pronounced, so it makes me stumble right from the begining. And I agree that, if he's a king, give us his title right up front.

The comment about fighting the royal guard seems a little out of place. I think it would make the action flow a little better if we knew THAT right from the get-go as well, instead of tucking it in at the end like a "oh, by the way" sort of comment.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, if she's using magic, and her father knows this, then you need to mention it fairly soon.

You should always have your royal guard operating under the assumption that the persons they guard are basically helpless. Yes, this can cause unnecessary complications, but it's a lot better than the alternatives. Anything that dramatically undermines this basic presumption, like having the princess regularly beat up the guards, is extremely counterproductive. You never want royal guards to even be capable of thinking "the princess probably doesn't need our help." You're asking these people to lay down their own lives in your defense, if you demonstrate that such a sacrifice is unnecessary they'll either become demoralized or disillusioned.

A demoralized royal guard is definitely bad, but a royal guard who balances a so-called "duty" against self-interest is far worse.

aking
Member # 3722

Is the name Xenzues really that terrible? It’s easy to break up, Xen (pronounced Zen, kind of like Xena except without the ‘a’ on the end) and the last is Zues, pronounced like the Greek God “Zeus”: Xenzues. I’d love to hear people’s thoughts on the name. Thanks
Iviron
Member # 3729

- posted      Profile for Iviron   Email Iviron         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if I am right about the following, but I do have some experience with self-defense and have watched a lot of Jackie Chan movies (insert smiles here).

It is tough to get kicked in the chest and then to double over. Most people would not react this way. If the blow is hard enough in the upper body they fall over because of balance issues. I suppose it is possible for someone to double over after getting kicked very hard in the chest, but it is probably going to be a delayed reaction and possibly voluntary after dealing with the pain for a moment. I also suppose if you lost your breath you might do it.

If you get kicked in the stomach you double over. If you get kicked in the ribs or in the side you grab your side and raise up on tiptoes because of pain (or maybe double over). The groin... well you get the point.

I suppose it sounds more impressive to kick someone in the chest but it struck me as kind of strange when the guard reacted by doubling over. If she is kicking him that hard he probably would have just fallen down.

Also, even a top notch martial artist would need some pretty serious momentum to kick someone hard enough in the chest to cause such a reaction, especially if the guy is wearing armor, which I am not sure about.

This description seems to be real casual, like 'oh, she leaned one way and whacked a guy in the chest with a sword, and then leaned ever-so-slightly the other way and kicked the royal guard in the chest and he doubled over.'

It is difficult for me to picture someone described with the word delicate having the power to do such a thing.

After all of this rambling I want you to know that I like the intro and I like your description of what is about to happen even more.

I think I would be more impressed if she was just fighting and struggling with one accomplished fighter and he was giving as good as he got. It would make it more realistic to me than having her kick the snot out of a couple of two dimensional fall guys.

There would also be tension, which is good for holding reader interest. This excerpt has no tension and no doubt about the outcome.

It would also be more impressive if she beats him for the first time or something at this moment, walking away with her bloody lip. I don't know, just my perspective.

[This message has been edited by Iviron (edited August 31, 2006).]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aking
Member # 3722

This is great, I know very little about real fighting. I should probably go rent some Jackie Chan movies!! LOL

This character is kind of like River from the movie "Sernity". I want her to kick ass, but she still has a kind of fairy tale like, princess quality about her. (Her mother was, by birth, a fairy, which is a very delicate creature, her father is a master wizard) So I want to reflect both qualities in her.

I love all the info on fighting! Thank you.

sojoyful
Member # 2997

Survivor, once again I see your point...for some stories. But like Elan said, let's not discourage new members with absolutes like "always" and "never" because there are "always" ways of pulling it off. Otherwise there would "never" be (r)evolutionary new ideas in fiction.

Maybe there are other members of the royal household who need protection, not just this one princess. Maybe she is well loved and they will protect her out of regard. Maybe they know she would die to protect any one of them (or perhaps she already has). Maybe she's great when she's prepared, but they ensure no one sneaks in to kill her in her sleep. Maybe in aking's universe, it is the responsibility of the guards to train the royal offspring, and if the latter fail to learn well, it falls on the heads of the guards that didn't teach well enough. Maybe it is a huge honor to be chosen to spar against the princess - a sign of your dedication and loyalty to serving on the guard. Etc etc etc.

In other words, critique the first 13, not the whole plot, and just let him write.

Survivor
Member # 213

Well, from the text I wasn't assuming that she was a princess. The point is that you don't let little girls kick the royal guard around, it ruins them unless they know that it's just a sham and think it's cute (which only undoes everything your trying to do with this character). What I've said goes double if she's a princess, of course.

As for River, they made very sure to establish that she has psychic powers before they showed her doing that. It made it believable that she could.

Xenzues is easy enough to say it just doesn't sound like a single word is all. If you spelled it "Xen-Zues" then it would look more like a name and it would be clear that his daughter's name, Celestia, comes from a dramatically different convention. Or rather, it would be clear that you intended that. Right now it just looks clumsy.

sojoyful
Member # 2997

Survivor, you are right to point out point potential inconsistencies, but your opinion shouldn't be stated as if it were a fact. You say "you don't let little girls kick the royal guard around". My answer is that in aking's story, maybe you do. This is speculative fiction, after all. We'll just have to agree to disagree.
aking
Member # 3722

There is a prolouge before you get to this first chapter that defines that she is a princess, and that she has special magic powers. I really like the idea about breaking up Xenzues name to Xen-Zues. Thanks!
Survivor
Member # 213

Okay, the way I stated it, it is a fact.

But that's not the issue. The issue is that I found it immensely implausible that a king smart enough to raise a daughter skilled enough to beat up his royal guard would ever let her do any such thing just for practice. How implausible is it? So implausible that it is far easier to believe that the daughter is undergoing a sort of "self-esteem" exercise with the cooperation of the guards. And that is exactly opposite the kind of image that aking is trying to create here.

In other words, the impression that I got was not what aking wanted to create through her text. The entire point of feedback is telling the author how the text actually affects a cold reader. I happen to give reasons why the text affects me as it does. My opinion of a text is an opinion, the fact that I hold such an opinion is a fact. And it will be stated as one.

aking
Member # 3722

With this opening paragraph I am trying to establish that Celestia is an amazing sword fighter, so good that for practice it takes two guards to fight her, just so she can get a work out. She is supposed to be astonishingly good. She has trained her entire life with the royal guards in fact it is a privilege for them to be chosen to train with her. People travel from all around the world travel to her city hoping for an opportunity to fight with her. She is not a little girl; she is a full grown woman. If this opening scene is unbelievable what would be a better way to establish this right from the start? Thanks
Iviron
Member # 3729

So this father lets his pride and joy spar with any accomplished swordmaster that comes along? OK. Sounds like quite a dad.

It sounds like you solved your own problem then. Substitute one or two of these people who travel from afar for the royal guardsmen. This could even be presented in a way that would make it so that the reader is unaware it is training until it is over.

"The scarred, one-eyed man continued to badger her with well placed thrusts of his sword while the man with the quarterstaff and the missing teeth closed in from behind."

Posts: 32 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aking
Member # 3722

Perfect!
Survivor
Member # 213

No....

First, start with her magical abilities. I know you said that's in the prologue, but you didn't post your prologue as your opening, which means you've written it as a "prologue" because the exposition, despite being critical, is also boring and you expect people to skip it.

Secondly, if she's used to using magic in her swordfighting, then she isn't getting much in the way of serious training from fighting anyone who doesn't have similar abilities. I know you wanted her to think her father doesn't know about that, though you tell us that he knows anyway. Maybe it could be a secret between herself and her instructor.

As for bringing in random strangers to fight the princess, I think Iviron was kidding about that. It kinda defeats the notion of having royal guards at all if they regularly let swordy guys in to have at the princess.

You aren't going to gain points with your readers by screwing with them. "It was all a game/dream/story" is one of the cardinal sins of bad narrative. I'm guessing Iviron was kidding about that too. Maybe you're kidding as well, but I don't want to take that risk.

Anyway, you need to concentrate on her magical abilities. The sword-fighting is a sideshow.

Iviron
Member # 3729

In the first couple of sentences of my last post I was trying to point out that this seems dangerously improbable, BUT, I was not joking.

After all, this is your story aking - and if you want to take it down a certain path I was trying to help you come up with a way to do it.

Let me tell you how I feel, though, because I agree with Survivor. Ask me to suspend disbelief and believe that a character can do magic -- Alright. I will do it. Ask me to believe that someone who comes off during the initial description as a bit of a dainty porcelain doll can beat up a couple of guys that are called Royal Guards (read Elite soldier) -- harder, but alright I will try.

Ask me to believe that a father would let his daughter or son spar with Royal Guards or anyone that comes along, including Miyamoto Musashi (who killed several men and his biggest rival with wooden swords), I can't do it. It just goes beyond what I am willing to accept. Maybe other people are different and can do it.

So, I was not joking but I hope you realize that you are on some pretty thin ice and I would probably not read or buy your story because of it.

I know this post is getting long but if I could offer advice I would say follow what someone here already suggested and make her sparring partner more of a trainer or something.

Iviron
Member # 3729

I hope I am not being long-winded, or maybe I should say verbose...

I just reread your post above about wanting everyone to know how tough the Princess is right from the start.

I would not try to beat the reader up with how tough your character is. This has been done over and over again to the point of provoking reader anger. Show us as the story goes. It would be more believable to me to just read about her working out with her sword and maybe throwing in a few spells or something while getting to know and like or dislike her. Then when I read about her actually fighting someone in a later scene I will be able to believe it.

If you want to do what a billion other people have done and have readers hate you for it then start with: "This Princess looks like a beautiful fashion model but is unstoppable like Arnold as the Terminator..." People will not read it and you probably will never be able to sell it.

aking
Member # 3722

This is really great advice, I'm going to have to go back to square one and rethink some things. I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this, I just wish it wasn't so hard to write a book. I guess if it was easy everyone would be doing it. Thanks for all the honest insight!
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

Here's the book I was referencing:

Medieval Combat by Hans Talhoffer, translated and edited by Mark Rector. It deals with Germal combat techniques taught by Talhoffer (c1420-1490) who was the master of arms to the Swabian knight Leutold an Konigsegg. Techiniques depicted use Long sword, combat in the lists with spear and sword, pole-axe, shield and wooden mace, shield and sword, shield, throat hooliking shield, dagger, wrestling, Messer (long knife/short sword), sword and buckler, one against two, fight between man and woman, sword fight on horseback, hand-to-hand on horseback, lance and sword on horseback, and fighting on horseback against crossbows.

aking
Member # 3722

Thank you!
englshmjr18
Member # 3906

- posted      Profile for englshmjr18   Email englshmjr18         Edit/Delete Post 
a quick thought: when writing action scenes, unless the point is the reaction of the perceiver, don't include the perceiver. the reader is the perceiver. it's more exciting that way, because it's one less level of removal. we're watching, rather than watching someone watch.

so yours becomes:

She/Celeste balanced delicately on the balls of her feet, slightly shifting her weight. This allowed her the momentum she needed to swing her sword into her opponent. Still poised, she did the same again, kicking the other guard's chest...

Her father watched with satisfaction... (or whatever, your story after all)

that's how i would do it. it's a way it could be done. doubtless there are others.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.