Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Ishtar (SciFi, 13 lines, short story)

Author Topic: Ishtar (SciFi, 13 lines, short story)
zetars
Member # 2956

- posted      Profile for zetars           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a story I recently started, called Ishtar/ The Ishtar Gate/ Expedition. It's about a US mission to Mars that goes awry when an unknown oject of great mass interferes with the mission.

“Expedition, this is Houston, do you read me?” The Ansible went silent as the men and women of the LBJ space center sat paying special attention to the task at hand; the first manned mission to Mars. It was a task 20 years in careful construction, and two trillion dollars in cost. If the Expedition failed, the cold war would fall in favor to the enemy… all three of them.
“Houston, we read you loud and clear. We’re approaching the Mass at a velocity of 6.21 miles a second. Is there anything we can do to get out its gravitational pull?” The astronaut paused, contemplating a grim thought that he had tried to suppress. “To survive?” He looked to a display screen, and stopped. The concentrated mass was slowly pulling them in, and if something wasn’t done soon, the USS Expedition would be lost.

Posts: 78 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
AHHHHHH!
You said ansible!
*ick*ick*
it's like the the grandfather paradox — a pox be upon it — or FTL travel — or the biological plausibility of fire-breathing dragons... *sputter* wheeze*...

my head hurts.

Hang on, let me read the rest and then comment properly.

There seems a disconnect here. It is hard to know exactly what is going on without your little explanation at the start. Perhaps I was in a lag after that first line that mentioned the ansible but I felt like I missed what was going on.

Hang on I'll go read it again.

Okay, try three.

We jump around in POV in the first two paragraphs. Paragraph one is from Houston's POV, paragraph two is deep in the astronoaut's thoughts. I would pick one POV and stick with it for a while.

To me it feels like this piece starts just a little too late, after the discovery of the mass and the drama of realising they are intractably drawn to the mass and will probably crash and die.

We begin in a lull between two dramatic events.Hope this helps.

PS: Hope you take my joking about the ansible in good humor. It was meant that way.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited September 04, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
We need a POV character.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green_Writer
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for Green_Writer   Email Green_Writer         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everything said thus far, but I also see a lot of info dumping.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zetars
Member # 2956

Thansk for all of the help guys! I've edited the opener to address some of the problems stated above. Any better?

“Expedition, this is Houston, do you read me?” The Ansible went silent. A hushed control room waited for a reply from the Expedition, as it continued its journey to Mars. No one knew if the craft was still operational, or if the mass has already swallowed it up, and rendered the mission useless. If the Expedition failed, the cold war would fall in favor to the enemy… all three of them, something the United States could not afford to have happen.

A light scratching sound echoed throughout the control room, and a muffled voice began to make contact. Sweat trickled down the foreheads of those who were witnessing the moment. “Houston, this is the Expedition, I read you, barely. We don’t know our coordinates, but know we’re quickly closing

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 06, 2006).]

Posts: 78 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
hi zetars.

First, do you realize that Ishtar was the name of a really bad movie. I'm still trying to repress the trauma. Anyway, just a thought on the name.

The second version still changes POV. If you want to be omnis. then do that, but I suspect you need to have one of the now unnammed astronauts as the POV.

You could start with the possibly MC astro., what is he/she thinking? I suspect that it's not about all the money that the government is going to lose when they crash and burn. That portion of the first paragraph is an info dump. Why the mission is important will come out later. Right now you have a life/death situation going. ALL thoughts should be focused on that. Put me with them because that is where the tension is. By the time I made it to the last line - can you do anything else to save us? - I really didn't care. Give me a person to worry about.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused over "the mass." What mass? Mars's gravity? Something unexpected on the way there like a comet or asteroid? I'm sure you clear it up, but I think it may come too late.

IT's funny. A lot of times a vague reference like that works and somethimes it doesn't. I wonder why. Could it be that this undefined mass has no obvious meaning?

You can say something like "It all started on Thursday" and the it doesn't bother me at all. I figure "it" will become obvious. But here...maybe it's their repeating "the mass" without any additional hint as to why there is a big mass somewhere on the way to Mars that bothers me.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited September 05, 2006).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

- posted      Profile for DeepDreamer   Email DeepDreamer         Edit/Delete Post 
My first thought as I read this is "Huh?" I'm never entirely sure what's going on, despite the simple premise. There's no POV character, there's no clear setting, nothing I as a reader am anchored to. I'll go through your 13 lines in my usual nitpicky way. Remember to take it all with a grain of salt. It's just my opinion, and I don't mean anything personally.

quote:
“Expedition, this is Houston, do you read me?” The Ansible went silent.
"Ansible" is not a proper noun and would not be capitalized.

I don't have any trouble with the concept of the ansible. I'm guessing that if these astronauts do go through this Ishtar Gate or whatever, that this ansible will come in handy relaying messages back to Houston while the Expedition is on the other side of the universe. Or whatever. What I DO have trouble with is the time rift. "Cold War" brings to mind a certain period of time; "Ansible" brings to mind a completely different time.

quote:
A hushed control room waited for a reply from the Expedition, as it continued its journey to Mars.

Here would be the perfect place to intro your POV character.

quote:
L. N. Alan waited in the hushed control room for Expedition's reply. His buddy was on that ship, journeying to Mars. Or might be, anyway. He didn't know if the craft was still operational, or if the unidentified mass had already swallowed it up. Worse, if the Expedition failed, the cold war would fall in favor to the enemy… all three of them, something the United States could not afford to have happen.

I don't like the mention of the cold war here. It feels distant, and impersonal. It's almost melodramatic. The pivotal action here is the people on board that ship. I should be worried for them, I should be wanting to care whether or not they live or die. Cold war? What war? And how exactly is a costly mission to Mars gonna turn the tide of a weapons race (which is all a cold war means to me) one way or another?

quote:
to the enemy . . . all three of them.
For some reason, I see this initially as three people, not three countries or powers. I'm not sure why, but I really dislike this line. It seems forced, and out of place. Especially since, as I said, the personal struggle means more to me than the world war whatever. I can fear for people in the personal, in the individual sense. It's harder in the aggregate. Yes, I'm patriotic, I love America. But saying in a story that America is in peril has much less of an impact on me than showing me that a person is in peril. Make sense?

quote:
A light scratching sound echoed throughout the control room, and a muffled voice began to make contact.

Voices don't make contact, people do. The captain or whoever is the one contacting Houston. Not his voice.

quote:
Sweat trickled down the foreheads of those who were witnessing the moment.

Melodramatic, unless you show one person in the control room sweating.

quote:
A bead of sweat dripped down Alan's nose, although it was cool in the control room.

quote:
“Houston, this is the Expedition, I read you, barely. We don’t know our coordinates, but know we’re quickly closing in on the Mass. From what you can tell, is there any way to get us out of the Mass’s gravitational pull?” The astronaut paused, trying to suppress a grim thought. “Is there anything you can do to save us?”
More melodrama. Show me personal struggle, and I'll give you more attention. This makes me go, "Ho-hum. *Yawn* Is there anything good on TV?" Another note: "Mass" isn't a proper noun.

We have no characters here, just cardboard cutouts. There's the stereotypical Houston control center. We've seen a million of them on TV. There's the stereotypical astronaut. It's a job description, not a person. It's a suit, not the person within. We don't even know if this suit is occupied by a man or a woman. I need people in the stories I read, not suits.

Also, like hoptoad said, this is a lull, this is the crucial point. This should be in the middle of your story, maybe nearer the end than the beginning. I'm not sure where you should start, but it should be a place where we the readers can get a grip on who these characters are and the situation they are in. That way you can show us what happens and it won't be melodramatic, and not only will we know there's a bigger issue at hand, we'll be drawn in by the personal struggle.

Also, a quick guess: You're calling this story "The Ishtar Gate", there's a big mass with incredible pull, I'm guessing this mass is an uncharted black hole. If this is so, make everything else so believable that I'll swallow the notion that there's a black hole in the middle of the solar system. I mean, everyone knows we revolve around the sun, which wouldn't be true if there were a black hole that near. But maybe I'm jumping the gun. I hope so, at least

Anyway, good luck on the revisions. Remember, a story is about events happening to people. Not events happening to cardboard cutouts.
{Edited to add more thoughts and comments that didn't occur to me until after I submitted the post.]

[This message has been edited by DeepDreamer (edited September 05, 2006).]

Posts: 34 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly, I'm confused because I see two versions posted, but I also see things quoted in the responses that don't appear in the posted versions.

Fortunately, my comments transcend the individual versions. This opening is an attempt to create immediate tension, but it tries to do so by falling in to a common mistake. If we, the readers, don't know beforehand who is in peril and what is at stake, then we have absolutely no reason to care about this tense situation you are telling us about. Especially when you weigh it down with exposition about money and politics that no one in that room would be thinking about at this particular moment. The tension does not exist for the readers.

I agree with hoptoad and DeepDreamer that the story starts too late. I don't agree with DeepDreamer that this scene should be in the middle or end of your story, because you obviously have a story in mind to tell that occurs after this event, not before it. I would suggest backing up in time to before this moment that is so obviously tense for the characters. Introduce us to a POV character, the setting, the state of affairs, etc. and any other information we need to know to appreciate what is going on in the control room. Then proceed with this scene. That might mean backing up 15 minutes, 2 hours, 3 days, or more. I don't know - that's your determination.

I also suggest that you watch out for information dumps, especially when the POV character isn't thinking about that information.

A point I haven't seen mentioned: My suspension of disbelief was instantly killed when the astronaut asked if there was anything Houston could do to get them out of the gravitational pull. Armed with only the information you've given us, my reaction is that people trained to fly a space shuttle should know something about getting out of the gravitational pull of something in space, so they sound like wussies just whining for help. Obviously, I know you don't intend to have wuss astronauts, and they have probably already tried what they could, failed, and are now asking if the thinktank that is Houston can come up with any other possibilities. My point is that you need to either show us that process or convey the fact that it has already occured.

Having said all of that (a few mouthfuls from the loquacious sojoyful) I will say that this story sounds rather exciting to me personally, so don't be discouraged by the responses.

EDIT to add: PS - Lest you feel picked on, I want you to know that in the course of crititiquing your piece, I realized my current WIP has the exact same problem: starting with a melodramatic event that has no established context. So I thank you for giving *me* the opportunity to improve.

[This message has been edited by sojoyful (edited September 06, 2006).]

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
What DeepDreamer said.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

- posted      Profile for DeepDreamer   Email DeepDreamer         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to ditto two things Sojoyful said: Yes, this has the potential to be an exciting story, and I have sitting on my hard drive a story with the same problem as well: it begins with melodrama and no context. I've been working on other stories trying to figure out where this one should start.

Actually, I can (but won't) point out several stories here on the F&F board where this could be the diagnosis. Must be a common writing error.

Also, where this segment goes depends on the length of the story you have in mind. I was pointing out where it felt to me it might go in a short story. It feels climactic.

But then, almost any point in any story could be the turning point. So I withdraw my unnecessary advice for where this scene should go. You know your story. You decide where this will go.

[This message has been edited by DeepDreamer (edited September 06, 2006).]

Posts: 34 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zetars
Member # 2956

Should I establish a POV and really make the characters ones who are cared for if I only intend to use them much much later, if at all in the story? I'm thinking yes, but you never know.

[This message has been edited by zetars (edited September 07, 2006).]

DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

I'm thinking yes too.
englshmjr18
Member # 3906

- posted      Profile for englshmjr18   Email englshmjr18         Edit/Delete Post 
well, you can ever go wrong with placing a specific character in peril to start out a story, even if you kill them two paragraphs down, even if it's melodramatic (as opposed to...?), even if we don't give them scads of context. it's certainly a valid option here.

but there's another possibility: isn't nasa chatter SUPPOSED to really all kinds of slightly technical, but extremely crucial and incidentally dramatic information? what if you let that do most or all of your talking? then you would have:

"Expedition, this is Houston, do you read me?”
"....
"Houston, this is Expedition, I read you, barely. We don’t know our coordinates, but are closing on the Mass at 6.21 miles/sec. We're trapped in its gravitational pull."
"...."
"Do you have an exit plan, Houston?"
"...."

Then you could hit us with the backstory, if you so choose. either way, i think you could go all-context or no-context. halfway is confusing.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.