Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Junki

Author Topic: Junki
doktor57
Member # 3825

- posted      Profile for doktor57   Email doktor57         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking about a short story on drug addiction in the future. Just started playing with it. This is my first post, and I appreciate your critiques.

Junki.
I shot upright, blanket and needles flying. My heart was

franticly pumping like an old-time oil well, desperate for just

a little more. My raspy breath fogged in the cold, damp air,

but sweat ran off my naked body, pooling upon the surface of

the bare mattress. The mattress refused to absorb it. I

rolled onto the concrete floor, pulling my crumpled clothing to

my chest. For a moment I rocked back and forth, sobbing,

waiting for the terrors to leave. I promised myself I would

never do syneron again. I dressed and hit the streets.

It was dark so I checked my phone for the time, 1900 hours,

December 26th, 2049. I cursed. I’d missed Christmas. Jamie

was going to be pissed. I checked my pockets, a wad of

fifties. Not enough for the kids, but enough for the good

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 07, 2006).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
A little extra detail, or even rearrangement, would fix the confusion that was my main focus:

I shot upright, blanket and needles flying. *I promised myself I would never do syneron again.* My heart was...

* I would like to know in paragraph 1 that MC is male (if he is)
* waiting for the terrors to leave: what terrors? Show us what it feels like. (You've shown us bolt-upright, sweaty, but those are external views -- I want to also know how it feels to have these terrors. Maybe some internal dialogue.)

>I’d missed Christmas. *My wife* Jamie

>“Jack?” the voice came from behind, about five feet and ten
years. “Jack Graf?”
This leads me to wonder if you started in the right place. I'm unsure. Maybe.

I'm not hooked yet. A drug addict waking up hung over, or whatever you call it, isn't enough for me. What's the special thing that makes your story cool? Maybe start with that.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
englshmjr18
Member # 3906

- posted      Profile for englshmjr18   Email englshmjr18         Edit/Delete Post 
do junkies ever wake up somewhere OTHER than soggy beds, naked, soaked in sweat and shivering from horrible, incoherent nightmares? i think they might. surely human misery comes in more varieties than that, especially far future woes.

what if your junkie wakes up coherent?

"In the dark I check my phone: 1900, 12/26, 2049. I will never do syneron again. I will not miss another Christmas. I will use card currency, have a valid ID like every decent person. I will wear moderately priced, stylish and comfortable robes to bed. I will buy a new matress, one unsoiled by my every failure. I will fold or hang my clothing before I go to sleep. I will love my children..."

that way you'd start out with inherent tension between what the character believes, and the reality of his choices. worked for trainspotting.

beyond that, your story, at least this start of it, asks this question: would all the advances of technology alter the psychology of addiction? if so, how? or would human repeat their failures despite, or perhaps because of, whatever advantages future society might offer them?

either way, i'd read a story like that, and i can't think of any having been done. you have a pretty nice touch with language, too, i think.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
markburnash
Member # 3601

- posted      Profile for markburnash   Email markburnash         Edit/Delete Post 
i like the tone.
i don't think there is a better hook than a good old fashioned tradgedy.
look at Ender's Game.
i think you move too fast though.
"He dressed and hit the streets"
Drag that out! He's still recovering from the devastating effects of this crazy drug.
something like "His skin crawled as the fabric of his clothing made contact with his skin, inflicting a terrible bout of nausea which he struggled to contain, etc."
make me feel this poor chap's pain. give me an inside track.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.