Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Short Story--Police Procedural

Author Topic: Short Story--Police Procedural
Skarecrow
Member # 3798

- posted      Profile for Skarecrow           Edit/Delete Post 
Can you give me some feedback on the first 13 of this short story? I appreciate your postings....

Jake Kellerman had the windows down on the cruiser, clipping along at about 30 mph—a little too fast for patrol work. Who cares? It's 2:00 a. m. in the frigging morning, and he needed some coffee. Headed to Dunkin Donuts, he focused his attention on the lights reflecting from the storefront windows, occasionally glancing at the empty road ahead for traffic.
And then he saw it--shattered glass from a shop's front door lay sparkling in the streetlamps on the sidewalk, leaving a gaping black hole in its place. He slammed on the brakes and backed up thirty feet. It was pretty obvious to Kellerman that a burglary had been committed at the shop--Betty’s Flowers.
He grabbed the mike. “Dispatch, I’ve got a possible 10-91 at Betty’s Flower Shop. See if Betty can come down here, and

Edited on Sept 11 to add changes suggested by critiques.
[This message has been edited by Skarecrow (edited September 08, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Skarecrow (edited September 11, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 12, 2006).]

Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack Skarecrow.

As a guideline, you should tell us how many words, and if you want feedback on the just first 13 or more.

I like it although I'm not yet hooked. I was just starting to get curious about it when the frustration at what you are not telling me did me in. Don't withhold what the it is. While you don't have to tell me everything about it, tell me what Jake is thinking, seeing or worrying about because of it

quote:
Then he saw it. He slammed on the brakes and backed up thirty feet.

Oh, for the love of (insert deity or prophet of your choice here) just tell me what it is. After finishing the section, I'm still not sure if it is the hole in the window or something else. If the hole caught his attention, he's going to focus on it and not think "It was pretty obvious to Kellerman that a burglary had been committed at Betty’s Flowers"

quote:
—shattered glass from the front door sparkled in the moonlight on the sidewalk, leaving a gaping black hole in its place.

Again the description is an afterthought i.e the use of "-" instead of making it an independent sentance. If the hole is important as you seem to hint it is, don't mention it as an afterthought.

quote:
The hole is what caught Kellerman’s attention.

ACK!!!!! TELL ME ABOUT THE HOLE! Why did it catch his attention? Why does he panic at a completed burglary and want back up? What is going on? I am becomeing more frustrated than interested.

Minor issues:

The trip to Dunkin Donuts was a bit too cliche for me. There are lots of places still open at 2:00 like Taco Bell and Wendy's.

quote:
a little too fast for patrol work, but it was 2:00 frigging a. m. in the morning, and he need some coffee.

I liked what this told me about Jake but not that it was thrown in as an afterthought, again the use of the "-". The fact that Jake is an officer on patrol and driving too fast because he NEEDS coffee is what I care about.

Have you ever tried to fix your eyes on two different objects at once? It might work better (assuming he is human and can't physically watch two items at once) to say that his gaze "flicked back and forth between the street in front of him and the store front windows that made up his patrol."

I already know it's 2:00 am and thus presumably dark with street lights on. The fact that the lights were "shiny" adds nothing to the description.

quote:
He stopped the patrol car, grabbed the mike, and called it in.

Didn't he stop when he slammed on the brakes a few lines ago?

quote:
“Dispatch, I’ve got a possible 10-91 at Betty’s Flower Shop. Get Betty to come down here, and send me a backup.”

This was a nice way to convey Jake patrols a small town. Hopefully 10-91 is the police code for burglary, if not, someone who knows may get annoyed.

It's a good start. It you stop teasing about whatever IT is, you would have me hooked.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skarecrow
Member # 3798

Kings Falcon: Thanks for the comments...all of them....I will make some changes as recommended...good catch on the already stopped car being stopped again....BTW, all burglaries are dangerous and would necessitate the backup request....and IMHO Dunkin Donuts is not a cliche....even though it seems it might be...at 2 a.m., trust me, a burrito ain't gonna touch it....gotta be a donut and coffee....but again, thanks for the great input....
Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
As it reads, it is a bit rough, but the image conjured up was pretty clear. I did wonder why he was watching the reflected lights of the storefronts and not more of what would be lurking in the doorways or anything else out of place.

I take it to also be that this is a small enough town that he knows personally the shop owner.

In your next draft you may want to slow your description down and give us a tidbit or more about Jake.

I'd keep reading it, just to see what happens next.

Welcome to Hatrack.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Recommended reading:

Arguing with critiques http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/001622.html

Just tell me http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/002716.html

...and for other threads people thought useful,
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/cgi/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=FAQs+and+Links+to+Discussions&number=3&DaysPrune=45&LastLogin=

Nits not mentioned: 30mph seems slow enough for 2am patrol work. If not, I want details of what he's doing.

I didn't have a problem with "And then he saw it," because I found out in two more words what "it" was. 6 might have been too much.

quote:
t was pretty obvious to Kellerman that a burglary had been committed at the shop--Betty’s Flowers. He grabbed the mike and called it in.
“Dispatch, I’ve got a possible 10-91 at Betty’s Flower Shop. See if Betty can come down here, and send me a backup.”

I think this could be shortened to "He called in a report." Then maybe expanded to get his take on it: fear? satisfaction at relief from boredom? annoyance?

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skarecrow
Member # 3798

wbriggs, I certainly hope you don't think I am arguing with the critics...I was simply pointing out my personal experience with the NEED of Dunkin Donuts at that time of the morning....all else I appreciated--even that, too--actually. I hope as submitters we can also respond without fear of ruffling feathers. I actually hesitated in commenting to King about the cliche, because I have seen previous comments from other submitters and this exact response to them. I am not resisting his critiques; I appreciate and welcome them....yours too, they are right on point....thanks, Skarecrow

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
It didn't strike me like you were arguing... 2¢

I liked it. Simple. Wasn't keen on the 'frigging' followed by '2am in the morning'. That's what 2am is. It's his internal dialogue, and it would probably read better if it were more clearly designated that way. Maybe italicise his unspoken thoughts.

Like this:

quote:

Jake Kellerman had the windows down on the cruiser, clipping along at about 30 mph—a little too fast for patrol work. Who cares? It's 2:00 a. m. in the frigging morning, and I need some coffee.

or something, it sort of works better for characterisation — for me — that way. Gets us into his head a bit quicker.

The description of the shatttered glass sparkling on the pavement and the black hole window where the reflected lights of his patrol car should have been was striking. Something you've seen I guess. Strong image. I'd read on just because of it and would hope for more genuine details like that. Lends credibility to the story.

However, starting here you are flagging to the reader that something out of the ordinary is about to happen. Something dramatic.

Hope this waffling helps.

Edited to look right.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited September 11, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green_Writer
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for Green_Writer   Email Green_Writer         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't say for certain if he was aruging or not, but from scare's previous experience on hatrack I'm sure he knows better.

I'm not hooked because I don't get much character introduction so I find it difficult to determine if this will be a story about the characters and their actions or a story simply about their actions.

Posts: 67 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

The voice is full of character.
Just listen. Read it out loud.

Then again, it may be because I am reading certain bits as internal dialogue.

There are problems — it needs tweaking — but characterisation is not one.

The 'cliché' as it was called, works on establishing an expectation or stereotype. So we think we know Jake Kellerman, but we don't. The writer, if he's clever, can turn our assumptions on their head and give us a great insight into this bloke.

Depending on length and genre, he should probably do it soon though.

The fact that this guy knows Betty... speaks volumes, and works to establish setting. If that's what it's supposed to mean. It may imply that he probably knows the burglar too.

Of course we do need that genre and wordcount.

PS: The line could be:

quote:

He grabbed the mike. “Dispatch, I’ve got a possible 10-91 at Betty’s flower shop. See if Betty can come down here, and send me a backup.

More succinct; loses nothing.

There is very little in King's Falcon's crit that I agree with — it's a good crit just not quite on beam IMO. I'm prepared to stick up for this piece, see a lot that is good. IMO keep going the way you started, just watch redundant phrases.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited September 11, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I never said it wasn't good. I LOVE the fact I know so much about Jake and his town in 13 lines. So, in case the praise wasn't clear enough - Good job.
And I didn't take Scarecrow's Dunkin Donuts comment as arguing.
I just wanted to point out that some people are going to say: Oh, come on. Don't give me the cop at the donut shop.

BTW - I'm a she not a he.

Do you have more of this written yet? How long is it? Are you looking for readers for more of it?

[This message has been edited by kings_falcon (edited September 11, 2006).]

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skarecrow
Member # 3798

Apologies to Kings Falcon...stupid assumption on my part. Thanks to all for the critiques. I am not at all surprized about how right on you all are....as you know, when you write something, you are simply too close to it to see where it needs help...particularly these short pieces...and King, I am progressing on the story...it is a short piece I want to send somewhere that is looking for police procedurals...If you wouldn't mind a read, when I get it done, I would like to send it to you...Hoptoad, too, if possible...thanks all....Skarecrow
Skarecrow
Member # 3798

also, Hoptoad...I tried to use the italics for his thoughts, and can't seem to work it here...any ideas? Thanks, Skarecrow
DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

- posted      Profile for DeepDreamer   Email DeepDreamer         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/ubbcode.html

This explains all the codes for the forum.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skarecrow
Member # 3798

hey, thanks, DeepDreamer....it worked!
hoptoad
Member # 2145

I'd be happy to read an comment when you're ready.

kings_falcon
Member # 3261

I'd be happy to read too! Good luck with finishing it.
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the voice -- wrote something saying as much, and lost it in the bit bucket, by which time everyone had already said everything I thought worth saying. I would also be happy to read it if you're not on deadline.

I won't send someone's work to anyone else without their permission, but my wife is a big fan of that type of thing, and I can share it with her if you'd like. She's a non-writer, so you'll get good but non-specific feedback.

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skarecrow
Member # 3798

thanks to all who indicated a desire (?)...willingness, to read...I appreciate it, and I will get you a piece shortly...thanks, again, Skarecrow

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.