Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Very first attemp. The custodian

Author Topic: Very first attemp. The custodian
poserwriter765
Member # 3862

- posted      Profile for poserwriter765   Email poserwriter765         Edit/Delete Post 
Jump in feet first right? Been working on this this morning. Nothing serious. Just sort of playing around.

My story starts like most good, and bad stories start. With a wave and a goodbye. Sitting before me in plain white sleep-clothes is the Captain. He lies half prone, on his elbows in his open sleep chamber. .
“See you in a minute, Jane,” the Captain says with a wry smile.
“See you in 6 months, Captain,” I reply imitating his smile and adding in a casual wave.
The Captain leans back into his chamber and activates it. A canopy extends out of the side of the chamber and slides sideways over the top forming a seal. A green flashing light over the top indicates the operation of the chamber.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhynedahll
Member # 3856

- posted      Profile for Rhynedahll   Email Rhynedahll         Edit/Delete Post 
You might have an extra comma in your first sentence.

"A green flashing light over the top indicates the operation of the chamber."

This seems rather like a radio narrator's comment. Perhaps it would be better to use the light as the subject, on the order of "A light flashed green..."

Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you could omit the first two sentences.

I can't care about the action, yet, because I don't know anything about what's happening, especially where Jane is and why she's leaving for 6 months.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poserwriter765
Member # 3862

- posted      Profile for poserwriter765   Email poserwriter765         Edit/Delete Post 
that gets explained very soon after this. Should i start with that right out of the bag? I guess what i am really asking is, in those first three lines should more be brought explained? is it starting to slow? I think I know the answer, but would still like conformation.

[This message has been edited by poserwriter765 (edited September 13, 2006).]

Posts: 8 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.