Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » My first foray into the bizzare genre of "fiction"

Author Topic: My first foray into the bizzare genre of "fiction"
Fox
Member # 3871

- posted      Profile for Fox   Email Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
Before I begin, let me say that this is my first (serious) attempt at writing fiction. Due to my age and inexperience, as well as the predispostion of public school to focus on nonfiction to the expense of everything else, I cannot imagine that it is of any great quality or interest. The type of writing I am most familiar and comfortable with is, of course, stream-of-conciousness nonfiction. Short, eloquent, and above all else it's done when it's done and I never have to see it again.

Nonetheless, I am attempting to "branch out". I read a lot of fiction, so why not try my hand at writing it? To that end I have imagined a rather... strange story arc, and begun work.

The genre that this particular piece would be could be anything, from simple fantasy to a bizzare brand of psychological fiction (think Hesse). Because it's only in it's infant stage, it's too premature to judge.

What I have done is write the first chapter of what I hope to eventually be a novel. I have written this same chapter twice, each version being rather different. The first version is a very verbose first-person narrative (which was great, because I didn't have to wrack my brain trying to decide on a bloody name) while the second is written in the far more acccesible and simple third-person.

I apologize for having such a long introduction for work of such little quality. Here is the first 13 lines of the first version:

>>>>>I am long accustomed to not knowing much about myself. I see my life as much like an old book, worn and weathered and missing many pages. The text of my memory does not tell a complete tale; when I think back over my life I find that it does not fall into any logical order. All my life I was taught that the base philosophy of the world was the law of causality. Every action has a reaction. Strange, I do not remember ever learning such things, nor do I see such a ridiculously practical “law” applying to the story of my past. Where these pages are and what they might contain I have no idea. Perhaps it is the result of some old amnesia, or maybe it is merely the tides of time catching up with me, nonetheless the early years of my life are unknown to me now. Where I am now, as<<<<<

~And now for the first 13 lines of the second version:

>>>>>At the time, there was nothing. No light, no sound, no air: only a void of utter simplicity. When there is nothing, there is no method to measure the subtle passage of time; there was nothing, but eventually there was something more.
The first thing to break into the void was a sound. A raucous, mocking laughter, to be accurate. As much as the earlier silence had been painful for Cross--he had driven every nerve of every sensory organ he had to the brink of madness trying to detect something other than the void--the laughter was worse. At first, of course, the sound was pleasing to his ear. What had once been empty, was now filled. It was a good feeling, if only for a moment. Naturally, since nothing existed other than Cross and the laughter, the laughter was undoubtedly directed at Cross.<<<<<

I would very much like to know what you think of this, as short as the blurb is. Each "chapter" is completed, so in the unlikely event anyone wants to read more, that option is open.

Thanks for the opportunity,
~Fox~

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 15, 2006).]

Posts: 41 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I personally like big, philosphical tomes with lots of heavy introspection (one of my favorite writers is Dostoyevsky), neither one of these really works for me as a first paragraph. They are fine paragraphs, and in the middle of the chapter I might really like them, but not as an opening. I would like to see something more concrete to wrap my imagination around, maybe a concrete image that I can envision. The way the paragraphs are right now, it's hard for me to imagine what's happening, and I find my mind wandering when I read it.

Later on, after I already have my imagination firmly wrapped around the story's world, these paragraphs wouldn't bother me at all.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fox
Member # 3871

I understand what you mean completely.

In my mind, I know that the best thing to do is just dive in. Start writing the story immediately, without mucking through too much (or any) exposition. In practise, however, I tend to do the opposite. The best analogy would be that it's the same as swimming for the first time. You know all you have to do is jump in the water, but you hesitate. Waver.

I'd also like to point out that the first "paragraph" isn't really the first paragraph. Because of the 13 lines thing, it's only the first HALF of the first paragraph.

I know I tend to be overly verbose and rather slow-to-the-point with this particular brand of writing. It is a rather large obstacle for me. Perhaps I shall simple erase what I have and start over again. Again.

But I suppose the one thing I would like to know is whether or not you think I should go with 1st or 3rd person. The problem with 3rd person, IMO, is the whole name bussiness. I have a hard enough time associating my own name with my self, and it's doubly hard with an imagined character.

Posts: 41 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
markburnash
Member # 3601

- posted      Profile for markburnash   Email markburnash         Edit/Delete Post 

The introspective expositions paint an ethereal landscape, but it needs a strong fictional canvas to hang on.
Just an example.
Your character lives in a future world where all concept of individual thought has been snuffed out.(think Orwell) In fact, as you age, your memories are removed from your head as a method of subjugation.
or
your second excerpt contrasted with a very ordinary occurances. (think Sartre)
Like Cross has his revelation on the way to the village market to buy fish.
A little wild, but hey...it's fiction. It's supposed to be wild.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skarecrow
Member # 3798

- posted      Profile for Skarecrow           Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the 2nd reading better...that I would continue reading for a spell...see where it is going...the 1st, I would not care to continue....I like the voice of the 2nd, and the mystery that is promised...can you deliver?

Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne
Member # 3675

- posted      Profile for Wayne   Email Wayne         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested enough to find our how a person could get into such a sensory deprived state, but I think you need to work on the hook.

The one sentence pounds the word "nothing" a lot. You might want to ease up on it or find some synonyms.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I like the voice, I feel a little disconnected -- I think I need some specifics, sensory data, names, etc., to help.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fox
Member # 3871

Okay, I'll focus on the second version (the first is waaaay too verbose to consider doing... anything, really.)

The chapter actually starts out with what I posted before, and it's really just a very short dream-sequence type thing. It's only a couple paragraphs. To give a better idea of what's going on, here's a more... applicable excerpt.

Yes, it's more than 13 lines, but not by too much. Well, maybe 30 or so lines, but still, that's not very much at all if you think about it. It's just three little paragraphs. Lemme know what ya' think.

>>>>>>
But not for long. Before Cross had time to re-acclimate himself to nothingness, something else appeared. Cross realized he was laying on his back, because the thing that had appeared hovered precariously over his head, suspended by nothing. Though the entirety of this world was shrouded in darkness--or rather, a supreme absence of light--the object above Cross' head was made visible by a peculiar illumination. The object appeared to be a garish depiction of a human being, wrought out of dull grey stone. The statue's forehead seemed overly large, and the jawline ludicrously spherical, and the stone itself seemed to shift ever-so-slightly from one side to the other as Cross continued to stare. Cross pressed his eyes shut for a moment, and then tried to focus on the object, and perhaps discover for <<<<<<

There it is.

EDIT: added paragraph breaks.

[This message has been edited by Fox (edited September 15, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 15, 2006).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.