Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » untitled SF novel, no crit. needed, just input

Author Topic: untitled SF novel, no crit. needed, just input
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
Below is the very first sentence of my novel's prologue. No critique needed. What I want to know is: After reading this first sentence, what information do you, the readers, want immediately following? I have 11.5 lines left, and I want to know what questions you want answered, what details you want expanded, what has piqued your curiosity and should be followed up on, etc.

I'm not telling you more because I want to see what you come up with, but if you'd like additional info about this situation/character in order to guide your responses, just ask.

Thanks a million in advance!

----------

Ghal spent four days heartsick over his obligation to punish Yun for her unthinkable act of murder.

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Off the cuff -- it seems too complicated? Too involved? Too many unknowns without something specific to hang them on.

Just my impression.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited September 20, 2006).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djh
Member # 3826

- posted      Profile for djh   Email djh         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a provocative sentence. Some questions that spring to mind include the following:

1. What is the relationship between these two? Husband/wife, father/daughter, other?

2. What kind of punishment? Surely not death...

3. What did she do?

4. This wouldn't have to be answered right away -- What kind of culture depends on one person delivering justice for murder? Was Ghal the judge and jury as well?

Posts: 28 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
The nature of their relationship. and why is Ghal(male or female?) not heartsick over the act of murder?

soon after I'd like at least a small bit about the murder itself. Who did she kill? Did she really do the killing? Were beavers involved in any way?

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a lot to pack into one sentence. I'd suppose the next sentences would tell me what the circumstances of the crime were, why it's Ghal's job to punish her, and why he's heartsick about it.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

Thanks! These responses are very helpful in deciding how to order the information in my first paragraph (and possibly how to edit that first sentence).

Any other input anyone has is still welcome.

PS - Pyre Dynasty, I can tell you with a great deal of confidence that no, there are no beavers involved.

[This message has been edited by sojoyful (edited September 21, 2006).]

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, well then perhaps it wouldn't be a good idea to mention them.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
englshmjr18
Member # 3906

- posted      Profile for englshmjr18   Email englshmjr18         Edit/Delete Post 
too bad about the beavers.

maybe?:

"Ghal didn't want to punish Yun for committing murder, but he had to anyway."

"For four days, Ghal didn't want to punish Yun for commiting murder, but then he decided to kill her outright."

"Heartsick, Ghal waited four days before punishing Yun for murder."

"Society obligated Ghal to punish Yun for murder. Four heartsick days later, he did."

a little jokesy, but you get the point: murder in the first sentence always wins. and it's always unspeakable, so you don't need to tell us that. killer idea for a first sentence.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

Thanks, englshmjr18.

ALL: I've finished a draft of the prologue, clocking in at just under 1000 words. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to share.

Thanks again, to everybody.

[This message has been edited by sojoyful (edited September 24, 2006).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.