Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Short Story - 15

Author Topic: Short Story - 15
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

- posted      Profile for Swimming Bird           Edit/Delete Post 
6k. Lit. Crits on opening, please.

The media never tells you how to properly kill yourself. They always report stories of young girls just like you who take their own lives daily with a handful of Zoloft and a slash of vodka. But they never bother to mention that drinking alcohol with pills will end with you vomiting, being pissed off, and still very much alive.

But that doesn't faze you; you were never much of a booze-hound anyway. And you figure that if you're going to go, you want to go sober. At least sober enough to have the energy to scrawl f*** you, Ryan on your headboard mirror with the blood that will gush freely from your slit wrists. Now you remember: you need to buy razors. The safety blades your father uses to shave aren't going to cut it--quite literally.

[This message has been edited by Swimming Bird (edited September 23, 2006).]

Posts: 151 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of issues:

1. The two paragraphs disagree with each other. You first tell us how hard it is to commit suicide and then how easy it is.

2. I generally disagree with the first paragraph and think the media does a pretty good job on this subject. This is a pretty subjective objection however.

3. I'd, personally, cut the "--quite literally" from the end. The safety razors line is a genuinely funny joke, you don't need to point it out. Have faith in yourself and your readers.

Aside from that you have a nice tone and a clear style. Some people may object that this is written in 2nd person but it doesn't really bother me. I find that it works rather nicely in this piece and it fits the voice you've adopted very well.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
markburnash
Member # 3601

- posted      Profile for markburnash   Email markburnash         Edit/Delete Post 
i agree that, "quite literally" can go.
the joke is funny enough on it's own.
perhaps use quotation marks instead..."cut it"
I'd also lose the caps on the You's, but that's really just a preferece thing.
go more in depth with different ways to kill yourself too
and why they just won't "cut it" like a razor will.
hanging? nah, too much engineering
shotgun? nah, too messy
razor blades in a bathtub with the cold water running and some blood scribbling on the wall? priceless.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
As thexmedic said, your tone is clear and your style is clean. This isn't a bad opening.

The first paragraph is internally contradictory. If pills and alcohol don't kill you, then how did those girls on the news succeed?

"the blood that will gush freely from your slit wrists" was too strong for me. If I had been reading this in the store, I would have put the book down at that line. It's probably personal preference, but an image that graphic in the first 13 turns me off. It wasn't the idea I had a problem with, but how graphically it was described. Perhaps later in the story, when I had travelled with the character for a while, it would be ok. But not cold off the shelf. If you wanted to tone it down, you could do something like: "...on your headboard mirror in blood from your wrists..."

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by sojoyful (edited September 23, 2006).]

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
The capital Yous made it very hard for me to read.

If we remove this, then I might well be able to follow and enjoy it; it's hard to tell. The topic is gripping.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

- posted      Profile for Swimming Bird           Edit/Delete Post 
Apologies about the capital Ys. My MS Word did that on purpose for some reason and I forgot to revert them when I copied and pasted it here.

Appreciate all the comments, so far.

Posts: 151 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShahofBlah
Member # 3928

- posted      Profile for ShahofBlah           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you use "slash" instead of splash intentionally.

I really liked the violent nature of that word so I hope it was intentional. It also leads us into the wrist slashing later in the intro

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.