Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Working title - Grimwood

Author Topic: Working title - Grimwood
Zoot
Member # 3176

- posted      Profile for Zoot   Email Zoot         Edit/Delete Post 
I've posted a few different frags lately but this is my main WIP, SF currently 7000 words and growing rapidly towards a conclusion. At this stage I thought the time right to go back and polish the beginning...any comments welcome

Grimwood noticed the windows were rattling in their panes under the stress of the storm and wondered whether his choice to sit in the greenhouse was such a great one after all. A face full of glass would be most unwelcome right now, he thought, then stifled the urge to chuckle. Here he was sitting on enough plastic explosives to send him and the farm into orbit and he was worried about a few pathetic lacerations. If the bounty hunters got hold of him before he could detonate the box under his deck chair that would be the least of his worries.
Once again he checked the rig was primed and sat back, despite his impending doom, he felt strangely relaxed listening to the violence of the weather outside. There was rythm in all that howling chaos if he listened hard enough, the way the rain came

[This message has been edited by Zoot (edited September 27, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Zoot (edited September 27, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 27, 2006).]

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like your first sentence. It made me smile.

I also really like the tone throughout. Your narrative voice has an ironic sense of humor that makes this rather serious scene interesting.

I like the name Grimwood. Somehow it seems to fit with the ironic humor.

He's hanging out in the greenhouse with this ironic narrative voice, and he's about to blow himself up? Interesting hook.

I liked the piece overall, and I had next to no difficulty reading. It is, IMO, well written. My comments are minor.

Spelling nit: rythm --> rhythm

I thought some punctuation adjustment here and there could make it a tad easier to read. For example: "Here he was, sitting on enough plastic explosives to send him and the farm into orbit, and he was worried about a few pathetic lacerations."

Once in a while, I wondered at your choice of vocabulary, only because it didn't seem to fit with the voice you have established in this character's head. For example, I didn't get the feeling that he would say "most unwelcome" - I expected something less formal, like "pretty inconvenient". Another example: I wouldn't expect him to use the word "lacerations". Again, the less formal "cuts" seemed more in character. Then again, I could be waaaay off, and I recognize that.

All in all, I like it. Lots. If you're looking for readers and you don't mind waiting until the weekend, I'd be happy to see the rest.

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
englshmjr18
Member # 3906

- posted      Profile for englshmjr18   Email englshmjr18         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, i really like it, too.

the only thing i would do, and this is from someone who's been down, down, down that road, i to try to find a way to vary the sentence length, especially for emphasis, so that they do not all read the same, without losing that great narrative voice.

that is beyond my powers here, but i hope it might not be beyond yours.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omakase
Member # 2915

- posted      Profile for Omakase   Email Omakase         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Sojoyful. I like the opening, but the voice wavers and seems inconsistent with the choice of words. It wanders between a colloquial tone and sprinkles in formal phrasing/words.

Compare "send the farm into orbit" and lacerations, chiefly a medical term unlikely to come about in everyday dialogue.

The first sentence of the second paragraph is a run-on.

I stumbled a little on "most unwelcome" and "many-faceted surfaces" -- you could probably wordsmith these a bit to smooth the prose.

Overall, it was an interesting opening.

Posts: 179 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellepepper
Member # 3520

- posted      Profile for Ellepepper   Email Ellepepper         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, literally In medias res. I would keep reading, and to me the words spoke of someone who is well educated, but now doesn't particularly need to use his education so he slips back and forth. I thought it was just an interesting character trait as if he might have been a doctor or lawyer before all this.

My one nit has already been said, just see if you can change up the sentence length.

Just a possibilty, maybe interject some storm noise to break it up?

Posts: 151 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Grimwood -- good name.

I think this would be a lot more enjoyable with a little rearrangement of the sentences, so we don't have to wonder what's going on. See the first post in "Why the problem with the first 13 isn't that it's too short
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/002662.html for what I mean.

As it is, I'm finding out a lot about how the storm sounds, but what I *really* want to know -- what's going on with MC, what he's planning, and why he's there -- isn't present. I'm all for getting the details of the storm, but first I want to know what's up and what will make me care.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.