Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » One Thousand and One Pawns

Author Topic: One Thousand and One Pawns
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a 7 page screenplay for the LDS Film Festival. It's a contemporary geek romance. I have to mail it Friday, so I'll be checking my emails, or reply here. This is 13 lines less the dialogue tags:
quote:
AN INSTITUTE OF RELIGION LOUNGE, UNIVERSITY OF UTAH – AFTERNOON (1990)
The camera begins focused on a chessboard, then pulls back to reveal ROGER and DEL playing. She is losing. GRANT emerges from the lunch crowd.

GRANT
May I play the lady next?

DEL
It’s tradition to play the winner.

GRANT
But that’s not going to be you, Ma’am.

ROGER
Eh, that’s okay. It’s mate in one either way, and I need to get to class. Thanks for the game, Delaine.

DEL
Thanks, see you, Roger.

Grant is seated and begins to set the board.

DEL
He didn’t really have a class you know.

GRANT
Ah, but he has class, don’t you think?

DEL
Speaking of which, you haven’t introduced yourself. I’m Delaine Li.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
If I get it this a.m., I may be able to read it (I'll be away from my computer starting this afternoon). Sounds interesting to me.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Almost too cute, but I can read seven pages easily enough.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I did try to email that, I just realized it bounced back briggs. I've changed it substantially anyway, and plan to change it more.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

By the way, this gets better after the first scene
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josh
Member # 4394

- posted      Profile for Josh   Email Josh         Edit/Delete Post 
A quick comment. Should it be a warning sign when you have to tell folks "It gets better after..." X amount of pages or story? I've seen a lot of agents and editors comment that if an author tells them the story is best if you start on page 50, or some such (maybe this is different for screenplays) but that you should then start the story when it is best and has the strongest hook.

www.jrvogt.com

Posts: 20 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

It is a warning sign, I think that the dialog in the first scene is pretty stilted, particularly at the start. It's also the truth, in my notsohumble opinion. This really did pick up in some of the later scenes. And her new opening lines are less stilted, though they aren't posted here.

Anyway, she's already sent it, so it's too late now.

januson
Member # 4194

- posted      Profile for januson   Email januson         Edit/Delete Post 
style thing: you say it's from page 7, so i suppose we've met DEL already? if not, you need to tell us del is a "she" before you say she is winning

edit to say, i read that wrong. this isn't from page 7, the whole thing is a 7 page screenplay, so you definitely need to tell the "reader" that del is a female. hell, though the name is obvious, you should probably tell us the other two are male as well

content's good

[This message has been edited by januson (edited December 02, 2006).]

Posts: 37 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Um...she does mention that DEL is female. But she doesn't need to tell us that except in the cast list, which isn't included. I guess the most relevant point is that it's hard to get good feedback on a screenplay, since most of what we think of as writing isn't applicable.
DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

- posted      Profile for DeepDreamer   Email DeepDreamer         Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to jump in and say I love the title. Hope things go well with this!
Posts: 34 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
januson
Member # 4194

- posted      Profile for januson   Email januson         Edit/Delete Post 
to survivor:

proper screenplay format should not actually include a cast list as such, so you should introduce any character without an obvious gender, such as "del" by telling us the gender.

"The camera begins focused on a chessboard, then pulls back to reveal ROGER and DEL playing. She is losing." -- this does not tell us del's gender. we have to assume del is the "she" because we know roger to be a male name, but in my experience, "del" is male as well, so the "she" should not have been there until the screenplay had established a female was present.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Eh, if you say so.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.