Hatrack River Writers Workshop
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been transferred to this forum: Fragments and Feedback for Novels.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Witch Hunter (Working Title) - Revised

Author Topic: Witch Hunter (Working Title) - Revised
Zoot
Member # 3176

- posted      Profile for Zoot   Email Zoot         Edit/Delete Post 

Hi, I posted a frag of this last week and it became apparent that it was a little confusing, although there was some kind of hook judging by those that said they would read on. I've since revised the whole thing and am looking for readers of the first chapter (1000-1300 words approx). But for those that haven't got the time, any comments on the new beginning are welcome:

Grimwood checked his watch for the umpteenth time and cursed quietly to himself. He hated waiting for the dead. They had no concept of time, what with having an eternity to hang around in. And it wasn’t as if you could just meet them somewhere nice and convenient, like the local boozer, for instance. Sod’s law dictated they always haunted some dark, dingy hole like Prittlewell Station.
He noted the local vandals had done a great job of covering just about every flat surface with graffiti, and admired their thoroughness, if not their artistic imagination. He listened to the pigeons cooing in the shadowy vaults of the concourse roof. And watched rats pick their way through the piles of gravel,

[This message has been edited by Zoot (edited December 12, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Zoot (edited December 12, 2006).]

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
This is good, and I'm hooked. But I think you need to let us know why he's waiting in that second paragraph, not describe the station.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
We already know why he's waiting, he wants to meet someone who's dead.

I think it's a pretty good opening. I'll try reading the first chapter.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
januson
Member # 4194

- posted      Profile for januson   Email januson         Edit/Delete Post 
"an eternity to hang around in"

you don't hang around IN an eternity, so that "in" should be removed

Posts: 37 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I mean, why he's hanging out, waiting for the dead guy.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenn
Member # 7798

- posted      Profile for Jenn   Email Jenn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy to read further if you want to send more.
Posts: 0 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

No, in this case the exact point is that they are hanging around in an eternity.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zoot
Member # 3176

- posted      Profile for Zoot   Email Zoot         Edit/Delete Post 

Thanks for all your comments.

Survivor, Jenn, I've just mailed you the rest of the chapter. Don't hold back, I'm wearing a particulary thick skinned coat today.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Hah, you say that now...
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good to me, too. I'll read if you still want readers.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wyrd1
Member # 3366

- posted      Profile for wyrd1   Email wyrd1         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto ^, I'll read and comment if you like.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.