Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Ashes to Ashes

Author Topic: Ashes to Ashes
mattguthrie
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for mattguthrie   Email mattguthrie         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, here's my first try at putting this out there. All comments and criticism welcome. This is the opening to a short story, possibly a novella I'm working on.
------------------------

The pain in his lower back was worse than usual this morning. He hadn’t slept at all last night. The cold damp morning did not help any. Of course, there was no other type of morning here in the Northwest Territories. At least that much had not been changed by science run amuck. I need to move someplace with a little more sun Jared thought to himself. Maybe the desert, then I can complain about the heat.
Shock waves suddenly traveled up Jared’s spine. His back arched violently in response. The glass of juice shattered and spilled on the counter as it slipped from his grasp. Jared pulled himself along the floor and found his pain relievers. He swallowed two tablets quickly, trying to ignore the reminder that the number of his days was short.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, first off, you need to start using his name in the 1st sentance. "The pain in Jared's lower back was worse than usual this morning."

And I don't really know what's going on. Does he know why his back hurts? Cause that's more imortant than what the weather is like. If he knows tell us straight away. And it'd be a better hook, I think.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto pixydust, strongly.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mattguthrie
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for mattguthrie   Email mattguthrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the suggestions. How's this?

The pain in Jared’s lower back was worse than usual this morning. He hadn’t slept at all last night. The tumor that had wrapped itself around his spine would not be ignored. Shock waves suddenly traveled up Jared’s spine. His back arched violently in response. A glass of juice shattered and spilled on the counter as it slipped from his grasp. Jared pulled himself across the floor to get his pain relievers. Struggling to control his breathing, he swallowed two tablets.
The medicine worked quickly. As Jared slowly stood, the bright blue appointment card caught his attention. His afternoon appointment with the mind transfer advisor served as another reminder that his remaining days were few.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ash
Member # 4615

- posted      Profile for Ash   Email Ash         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually liked the first one better but that I think is just me, I like the internal thoughts, brings the character to life, while the second is all exposition, third person, which for me is a step too far away. What would be best, try skipping the part about the weather for a moment (good stuff, quirky, but not extraordinarily potent, like an opening ought to be), but keep the replacement in his actual thoughts. You have established the third person viewpoint already, by saying "He had hardly slept at all," now bring us closer. But I am an actor, I live for dialogue, and breath soliloquy (which I can't spell), so take this comment with a grain of salt.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spartan
Member # 4662

- posted      Profile for Spartan           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the second one much better. Like Ash, I enjoyed the internal thoughts in the first one, but I think it takes away from the stuff about Jared's back, which is obviously more important.

I'd like to see some of the other senses incorporated into this--smell, sound, taste, etc.--if you can find a good place for it.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donelle
Member # 4677

- posted      Profile for Donelle   Email Donelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely like the second edit more. Though I'd like to have a better visual of the character's position in the onset. The glass of juice almost seems to materialize out of thin air, especially since you give the juice the indefinite article. Definite article may help, Ie "The Glass of juice"

Then all of a sudden, he's on the floor. How does he get there? Does he slide off his chair, does he stand then tumble? Not big issues, but I think it would make a slight improvement.

Keep up the good work. I would actually like to read this when it's done.

-Donelle

[This message has been edited by Donelle (edited January 03, 2007).]

Posts: 44 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Second one's better, definitely, but I'm still not really hooked.

Basically, what we've got is a guy dying of cancer.

This may sound callous, but my immediate reaction to this was: "so what"? Lots of people die of cancer. Is there something about this one that's particularly worth my time?

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
You have put your MC in a dire, painful situation - but this critical situation clashes with some of the passive writing and actions. As an example:

"He swallowed two tablets quickly..."

Swallowing two tablets quickly is what those who suffer from a fever, a cold or PMS do. I want to see (and feel) something here that is more in tune with the situation and keeps tension. Maybe here, trembling in severe pain, he can't get the lid off the bottle so he simply smashes the bottle against the floor and seizes the pills with his mouth. Something like this is much less passive and builds/keeps tension.

[This message has been edited by nitewriter (edited January 04, 2007).]

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hylas
Member # 3613

- posted      Profile for Hylas   Email Hylas         Edit/Delete Post 
I also like the thoughts and feelings expressed in the first one, but agree that the second is better since it gives so much needed info so quickly.

Take the good stuff you cut out of the first draft and plug it into the next couple of paragraphs.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.