Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Sci-fi untitled (2000 words, short story)

Author Topic: Sci-fi untitled (2000 words, short story)
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
Tehla was one of the many Grade A certified organic robots built by Lemah industries and as of right now she was owned by Hershel Null. Hershel had died last week of heart failure, but before he expired he asked her, “to take care of everything” an undefined, open order.
She did just that, and in doing so had alerted her creators. If she had a sense of fear she would run, but her main focus was her duty to Hershel – her master. Her hand carefully placed an energy chip into Hershel’s back hard drive. She initiated the start program by pressing in on Hershel’s third vertebrae and waited for Hershel to awaken. When Hershel moved, Tehla smiled.
Hershel slowly, painfully awakened to see his faithful servant, “God, I feel like I have been run over by a truck..was I”

does it sound interesting..does it grab your attention?

[This message has been edited by TMan1969 (edited December 18, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited December 18, 2006).]

Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
If Hershel's dying of heart failure, how is it he can be revived with a microchip? Tehla knows. Why shouldn't we?

Please see FAQ's and Helpful Discussions, Past Threads, either Just Tell Me, for a longer discussion of this.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omakase
Member # 2915

- posted      Profile for Omakase   Email Omakase         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, this opening is very confusing.
Haman attributes for the robot and vice versa it seems

Posts: 179 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Way infodumpy, which is a shame because it's actually a halfway decent (if venerable) SF idea, what happens when robots start building androids to fulfil their innate drive to have masters?

I like the story idea, but there's no way I'll read the whole story if it opens like this. I'll just say, "Oh, that's like [insert obscure classic title], too bad it's written in summary or I might like to read it."

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

Thanks guys, I have made some improvements and changes to it. I agree Survivor it has potential to be bigger, and right now I am going to finish it - then I will see.

Again thanks guys, and there is a reason for human characteristics..again thanks all!

Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailmix
Member # 4440

- posted      Profile for trailmix   Email trailmix         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree somewhat with Survivor. I like the idea. I would read a couple chapters to see if its as interesting as I think it could be.

I think you can leave some of the info, specifically in the first sentence, out until the second or third paragraph. Maybe later.

I would simply open up with the robot putting the energy chip in and booting up its master. And give the info through conversation next paragraph or so.

Scott

Posts: 148 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

I trimmed down the "how he died" and built up Tehla. Right now the story is taking some interesting twists and I will play it out to see where it ends..thanks for all your input!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.