Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » untitled

Author Topic: untitled
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
Here it is, fresh meat for pit bull central. Short story, 6300 words so far and counting. Would like comments on the opening.

Dr. Eric Markosian, genetic engineer at Dyna-Gene, settled into a bench at a park on the Dyna-Gene grounds. Geni, with her peculiar gait, ambled past him and plunked down on the lawn. Exquisetley deformed, she was a fine example of Eric's consummate skill as a genetic engineer.

Eric felt the tang of winter still in the spring air.

"A bit nippy out hey Geni?" He said.

Geni snorted. He took that as affirmative. Sometimes he thought he could interpret her senseless noises, but was never sure. "The problem is," a colleague once told him, "imbeciles are fluent only in babble." He was amused at the recollection of that bit of brilliancy.

Geni sat unaware of the man who stood off to one side and watched her intently.

[This message has been edited by nitewriter (edited January 08, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited January 08, 2007).]

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vhenry
Member # 4672

- posted      Profile for vhenry           Edit/Delete Post 
Just a few suggestions to help build the intrigue. First, you may want to consider not telling us Dr. M is a genetic engineer, but instead reveal it through description of the work performed at Dyna-Gene.

Also, describe Geni's mutations/deformities more clearly. I'd be much more interested with just a glimpse of what type of monstrosities were being created.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that should cut the bit about him being a genetic engineer and let the description of Geni give us that info.

quote:
Exquisetley

Exquisitely

Interesting, but if this is a short story, I'd throw in something more immediate and urgent.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't agree at all. I don't want to struggle to figure out what's going on; I want to know.

My only problem here is POV. You told us what Geni was unaware of, which is not something Erick would know. Then there's this man -- originally I thought it was Eric, then I found Eric was someone else.

I'd rather stay firmly in Eric's POV anyway. He's interesting in a horrible sort of way.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd echo wbriggs' comments on POV; decide if you're internal or omniscient.

You have, indeed, created an intrigiungly dislikeable MC in a very short space of time.

You need to tighten up grammar and spelling (exquisitely, "A bit nippy out, hey Geni?" he said).

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
POV. Clarity.

I actually don't mind that Eric is dislikable at this point but I might not be willing to ride with him for long. Did you want him to be dislikable? Keep in mind that his creation of deformed quasi-sentient beings will greatly effect the way people think about him.

I'd like a sense of what Geni is. Is she a deformed humanoid or some other form of life? Describe her to me.

I also thought the "man" watching Geni was Eric.

Is Eric expecting him? Eric is also bio-engineered? Hu?

You set the hook for me in the third line "Exquisitely deformed, she was . . . " so slow down and tell me a story.

NITS -

You don't need the "as a genetic engineer" in the third line since you told me two lines ago that he was one.

I'm not sure you need the "Eric felt the tang of winter still in the spring air" because his next line tells me that the air is cool.

On the positive:

I did like that he interacts with Geni.

I think you have a start of a good story once some clean up work is done.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, but the clarity issues are noted. There are also a few redundant bits of information, and other places where the needed information is not provided.

You can cut "genetic engineer at Dyna-Gene" completely with no loss of information. You could even cut the later phrase "as a genetic engineer", or replace it with a less clunky or more precise phrase.

On the other hand, when you say that Geni is "exquisitely" deformed, that cries out for explanation of the teleology of the deformation. Since she has been intentionally crafted, and the careful manipulation of her phenotype is considered "exquisite", we know that she has been altered towards a goal. You must tell us what that goal is, because Eric is already thinking about it by virtue of the fact that he considers her deformation exquisite.

The issue of the man who stood off to one side is another example. We need to know what Eric thinks of this, but you neatly avoid telling us up front, instead mentioning that Geni didn't notice him (or appear to notice him) at all and then having Eric size him up clinically. We want to know why Eric is sizing him up. Does he think that the man could be a threat? Is he probably an admirer of Dr. Markosian's work? Is he an imbecile?

More generally, you occasionally ommit needed connective material in the narrative. This can almost be seen by the way you paragraph, with isolated non sequiturs taking up much of your page space.

Oh, and you're missing a comma (or something) in that last line.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 

Thanks to you all for such great, thoughful comments! It is amazing to me how others can point out a weakness that, once pointed out - is so obvious - and yet was not "seen" by the writer. But then, that's why we are all here - thanks again!
Thanks also to KDW and those who make this place tick. This is a wonderful place for those wishing to improve their writing.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.