Hatrack River Writers Workshop
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been transferred to this forum: Fragments and Feedback for Novels.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Sci-Fi Novel

Author Topic: Sci-Fi Novel
vhenry
Member # 4672

- posted      Profile for vhenry           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my first 13 for a novel, first draft already completed. I'd like your comments on this and also any volunteers to read the entire manuscript.

I was a seedling: a toddler barely sixteen years old and napping comfortably when I became entranced in the dream. My subconscious mind betrayed a hint of discomfort—a sensation akin to the prickly nip of a toper bush thorn, just grazing the skin. But this was somehow...enticing. I wanted more.

At the outset of the dream, the land was lush; blanketed with a curious carpet of spiky green and a flowery eruption of yellows, oranges and blues. Towering trees with long spindly arms were dotted compactly amongst the overgrown foliage and shrubs.
Then, the land shifted, rearranging like the pieces of a puzzle. The peaceful scene gave way to something stark and cold in contrast. The nip came sharper this time, but I was not deterred. Dwellings, larger than any I had ever seen, stretched

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited January 08, 2007).]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this. Very skilful, and you're telling us precisely what we need to know, I think.

Nits: but it’s was cry was not heeded -> but its cry was not heeded.

feeling every slight against it wailed -> feeling every slight against it, wailed

My home did not resemble this place -> I had never before seen such a place. (That is, it's almost comic understatement to say "my home does not resemble this place.")

I'm a little weary of the we're-raping-the-earth perspective, because it's so one-sided: the bad people build the buildings, and the good people mourn. But you have a great opportunity to make it new, in the way your MC is *tempted* by the city, even though he (she? it?) perceives it as evil.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is the narrator telling the story?
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vhenry
Member # 4672

I should have made this clear before, but these lines are actually part of the prologue for the novel. I struggled with this but I actually needed chapter one to start at a different time, later in this character's life. I wrote the prologue in both first and 2nd person (sorry, I didn't save that version), but thought it worked better this way. Any suggestions?
Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vhenry
Member # 4672

Thanks for the suggestiions wbriggs, not nits at all, I truly appreciate any and all feedback. I wrote this novel feeling one day like it was great and the next like it was complete garbage (guess you all can relate, right??).

The "we've destroyed the earth" theme is actually secondary to the story, so I don't really spend a lot of time on it. Just intended to give motivation for us to explore the stars.

Verloren
Member # 3916

- posted      Profile for Verloren   Email Verloren         Edit/Delete Post 
It is an interesting premise, and the writing is intriguing and well-done.

I am confused about what is happening, though. Maybe I just don't get into a character that is a tree or plant or something (never really told what it is - just a seedling). I don't feel any emotional connection yet with the main character.

At first I thought the "dream" was literal, but then on second reading it seemed more allegorical or even reality seen from a skewed perspective.

I don't really know yet if this is something that I'd continue to read. I suppose it would depend on what the whole story is about (something I'd get off the back cover or from a review or something). It may just be that I need to give it a little more time, since this is the prologue and all. In my book, you do have good writing going for you, so I at least am hooked by the descriptions and uniqueness of it.

-V

Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

For judging the first thirteen, it doesn't matter whether the opening is a prologue or not. All the word "Prologue" tells us is that we can expect that "Chapter 1" or whatever will be told from a different POV or will involve some other significant discontinuity like a major jump in time or space.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vhenry
Member # 4672

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The character is actually a person and the dream is literal, occuring in the past for this character.

Again, if anyone is interested in reading on, just let me know.

Thanks

Survivor
Member # 213

Eh, the unjustified first person makes me too nervous.

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.