Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » 13 lines revised.....

Author Topic: 13 lines revised.....
I am destiny
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
thanks...

[This message has been edited by I am destiny (edited March 15, 2007).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drahm
Member # 4728

- posted      Profile for drahm   Email drahm         Edit/Delete Post 
he he he... Drahm knows Bob's REAL name.
So, can i hold it out there for ransom or something?
So this... "Bob"... he's a big guy ehe?
Thinks he can beat the crap out of anyone... ehe?
...your most devoted and annoying Drahm

Perhaps, you should change your main character's "Fake-out" name to anything but Bob. "Bob" really throws me, and I've read your books.

...antony works.

[This message has been edited by drahm (edited January 09, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by drahm (edited January 09, 2007).]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green_Writer
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for Green_Writer   Email Green_Writer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are trying too hard to catch the reader by creating a He-Man character. I wish I could relate to He-Man, but Unfortunately I cannot.

Moreover, it doesn't sound very convincing the way you describe the stolen uniform and its former owner. Didn't Indiana Jones try and fit into a smaller uniform? And didn't an officer spot him and question what he was doing? Its alright to borrow ideas, but when you borrow something with this many parallels the reader might lose interest.

There are numerous punctuation and grammar errors. The first two sentences should be one, or rearranged.

Posts: 67 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure why you changed the name but whatever.

I'm not hooked because you are withholding.

Bob knows where he is and what he's doing. Just tell me.

The way you have the first sentance written, I had to read it three times to figure out it was Bob's thought. The thought could tell me a lot about Bob but fails to because it is thrown away.

Why does he consider the mechanics inept or lazy? Couldn't they just be careful? Why is he watching from a corner? Aren't the mechanics going to know that they aren't working on one of thier ships? How the heck is he going to get a generator? Where the heck is he that there is a broom closet?

I have a real problem with credibility in this story. Why are people working on his ship if he so "obviously" doesn't belong i.e. how did he hoodwink them?

The descriptions are a bit heavy handed IMHO.

Ex. - "dead body" - generally when someone is talking about a body in a closet - it's dead. Either say "Dead officer" or "Body."

"sagged in relief in the darkness" - you told me three lines ago that he's in a dark corner. "Sagged in relief" is a bit melodramatic too. Who does this?

"spun to look eye to eye. . " He knew the officer was eye level? "Turned to look at the speaker" or something less Dick Tracy-like would work.

"Kill the officer with his hands . . " - At least you didn't say "bare hands." The fact that he could kill again is all that's important. Whether he shoots the other man or strangles him doesn't matter.

Try to get inside Bob's head. Let me understand why he's where ever he is and what he's doing.

I, personally, have less tolerance for novels because at least a short story isn't a massive investment of time. If I was scanning this in a store, the book would go back to the shelf because I have no confidence you'll answer my questions.

Try to work on Bob's POV and Clarity.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drahm
Member # 4728

K... Destiny and I talked. (It's just funny saying that)
Anyways, put a pause on the comments, she's gonna write a pre-scene to the chapter... you know, a new first and all that. I think it will clear up all the misunderstandings and unclearity. You'll see... no worries. I wish you could all hear the things she's explaining to me on the other side of this screen. It is totally awsome... she's just trying hard to get it out of the head now. I'm sure you ALL understand that one... I sure do.
Thanks
-Drahm

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I am destiny
unregistered

drahm
Member # 4728

very cool re-write
I'm starting to really like this "Antony" guy.
Wouldn't mind knowing more...

kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Better.

"The mechanics were taking their bloody time, obviously inept or lazy, Antony thought as he watched them."

Now I like MC! He's got attitude! Although, I still don't think you need the "obviously inept or lazy" comment.

But you are still withholding.

See, Keeping secrets from the Reader:
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/002021.html

Antony knows why he's hiding, why he fears detection and why if he's found out, he's dead. You repeat the same idea three times in the first 13 but don't tell me why. If I know why, I can worry about him. Right now, I don't know what the stakes are and don't care if he gets killed. Tell me - for example - that only he can save the world and if he is caught and killed billions die.

Tell me what ship (not by name but by how it fits into his world) Antony is on.

NITS -

"Carefully, he looked . . " If you pick a stronger verb, the "carefully" becomes unnecessary. I.E. "He peeked. . "

". . .grinned inwardly . . " is awkward. Either he grinned or he didn't.

Good luck with it.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verloren
Member # 3916

- posted      Profile for Verloren   Email Verloren         Edit/Delete Post 
You're definitely on the right track with the second version.

I also want to add that the sentence style is also a bit simplistic for my tastes. I like more of a variety in the sentences (some long, some short, some medium length with varying levels of complexity). These are all basically short, simple sentences, so it feels very staccato and halting as I read it. I suppose that it is possible that you intended this to feel that way - in which case "Bravo! You did it!" However, I think this scene might flow better for me with some changes along those lines (as well as the other comments you receive).

Good luck!

-V

Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you give us plenty of reason to believe that if he's caught, he'll be in significant trouble. After all, there's a body stuffed in a closet with his name on it (assuming that his uniform came with a nametag).

I'm puzzled by a couple of things. First off, you tell us that his muscles ached but not why. Second, you tell us that the reason he's not wearing his uniform is because it's currently adorning a body in a closet. Well, who's fault is that? Why did he put his uniform on the body if he didn't already have some reason to not wear it himself? If he did have a reason to not wear it, then why did he bring it with him in the first place? And now that he's stolen a uniform, why is he hiding? Also, isn't the malfunction bad luck for him? After all, that's why the mechanics are in his way, right? Surely he can't have been counting on a lucky malfunction, he has to have had some plan for getting past those blast doors anyway.

Some of that can be cleared up later, some of it simply has to be cleared up as soon as it's raised. But overall I'd say that I have questions more than I have problems.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I am destiny
unregistered

Whew! Destiny

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
What King's Falcon said.

Just tell me http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/002716.html
Why the problem with the first 13 isn't that it isn't enough http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/002662.html

Your rewrite doesn't address that issue, so you may not be interested. But if you are, I suggest: put aside the version you have now. Try telling the story giving exactly what background the reader wants to know and nothing more (in this case, why's he here?). Then see which version you like better.

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited January 10, 2007).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verloren
Member # 3916

- posted      Profile for Verloren   Email Verloren         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell that person you are married to that I am a tech writer too, and I use varied sentence structures in my tech writing all the time.

However, there is a difference between a run-on sentence and a long, complex sentence. Usually it is about punctuation and using conjunctions that get people in trouble with run-ons. Although . . . sometimes a run-on in a sentence can be useful in creative writing. It can give a sense of breathlessness and angst, or even a stream of consciousness kind of feeling.

In any case, the third revision hooks me much more, so I think you are getting there. I agree with wbriggs, though, put this latest version aside and start again (don't throw it out, just put it aside to get the rewriting and stuff out of your head).

Think about the comments you have received so far, then tell the story again. In fact, I recommend doing it several times, from several different point of views and several different voices.

Much success!

-V

Posts: 99 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
This last version is a bit clearer. DH or whoever needs to nit your lack of commas, though

I think that this opening works as an incentive to keep reading. I like the image of him having hurried to get there before the door is repaired only to discover that the mechanics haven't even figured out that they'll need to replace a critical component. On the other hand, maybe that won't gel for everyone that reads this...oh well. Still, I think you've got the story moving here.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I am destiny
unregistered

Thinking.............

Thanks for all the tips, I apreciate what I'm learning.

Destiny

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.