Hatrack River Writers Workshop
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been transferred to this forum: Fragments and Feedback for Novels.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » fantasy, no title yet

Author Topic: fantasy, no title yet
Megan
Member # 3360

- posted      Profile for Megan   Email Megan         Edit/Delete Post 
this is actually the beginning of the prologue--the first 13 lines, actually.

Her voice was usually musical and light, but that night it sent chills down the spine of the man who loved her. Even muffled, as it was being heard through the door, it came across sharp and harsh as she hurled accusations at the king’s head. He knew it was neither honorable nor decent to be listening at doors, especially one of the king’s, but he couldn’t not listen. So much was at stake, such a huge part of him was at stake. The tension between Ivorria and the king had been mounting for months, at had come to a sizzling high with the latest execution. He called out to her silently, 'Ivorria, my dear, if only you were not so bold and rash…' but it was to no avail, she could not hear him and would not listen if she could.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 

Not very convincing since you are giving us all the information...why not let the characters speak for themselves, let us in on the conversation, show us how they react. Take a single incident, such as the execution, start there and build on it. What you have told us so far is too general to really getus into the story and care about someone.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I very much agree ... this opening is told to us rather than shown.

"Her voice was usually musical and light, but that night it sent chills down the spine of the man who loved her."

This sentence confuses me. Even in the first sentence it seems that information is being withheld from me. Who is she? Who is he?

" Even muffled, as it was being heard through the door, it came across sharp and harsh as she hurled accusations at the king’s head. "

I still don't know who she is and for a moment, I thought the king was the guy listening on the other side of the door. Also, this is the start of that telling rather than showing...let's hear the accusations. Let's let the woman have her full-throated spat.

"He knew it was neither honorable nor decent to be listening at doors, especially one of the king’s, but he couldn’t not listen."

This isn't interesting to me right now because it doesn't set the stage or the story -- it doesn't even do anything for the character since I don't have the first inkling of who he is...a guard, a servant, a knight, a lord, a talking cat...???

" So much was at stake, such a huge part of him was at stake."

This is a meaningless sentence to me. Not only is it not showing me anything, but it's not really telling me anything either. It neither furthers the plot nor creates any suspense or sense of conflict, as I have no idea what could possibly be at stake.

" The tension between Ivorria and the king had been mounting for months, at had come to a sizzling high with the latest execution."

Is Ivorria the woman he mentioned earlier? What is her relationship to the king? And once again, I think you have missed an opportunity. You don't have to tell us anything at all...let the voices he is hearing through the door tell us all this and more.

" He called out to her silently, 'Ivorria, my dear, if only you were not so bold and rash…' but it was to no avail, she could not hear him and would not listen if she could."

I'm not entirely clear what danger she is in so I'm not sharing his concern.

I think you may be trying to make the first 13 lines do too much. IMHO, you need to start slowly...possibly with the actual dialogue the POV character is hearing through the door. That would establish conflict right away.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the first sentence is an excellent beginning, it just appealed to me for some reason I cannot articulate. But I would be more comfortable if you introduced the point-of-view character by name immediately afterward.

The others' comments I would echo in general. I don't know what the conventions are for prologues (I've never written one per se, and I always skip them when reading a book, or at most skim them quickly), but see if there is a way to dispense with the catch-up and start the story moving forward in the second sentence or so. Maybe jump right into the woman's dialogue there (since you just told us about the change in her voice).

I would keep reading, but much more summary backstory following the excerpt might wear me down. Good luck with it.

[This message has been edited by dee_boncci (edited January 12, 2007).]

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
My suggestions:

Give us the names of the characters immediately. Let his name come first, since he's the POV character. Let us know where they are and what's happening, then how POV character feels about it.

If he can't hear her, then not much is happening here, so maybe you should start somewhere else, such as when she went into the king's chambers (and he tried to talk her out of it).

If he can hear her, imagine this.

quote:
John could just hear his sister Ivonna through the door to the king's chambers. It sounded like the king was having a rough time.

"You expect me to marry an evil robot monkey?" Ivonna said. "In this ugly dress? Are you out of your royal mind?"

Usually her voice sounded so sweet and melodious.

"Eavesdropping again?" a voice behind John said.

It was the steward. "No," John said. "No. I just -- I dropped something."

I intentionally made this something you aren't going for (humor), because I'm not trying to write your story, I'm just showing an example. This shows a decent ordering of information; we don't have to wonder what's going on. We understand how the characters are related. (We still should probably know how Ivonna relates to the king.) It puts us in John's POV -- something you nailed, by the way, good job! -- and it shows us the events in the moment, rather than just giving us John's interpretation (I think we need both).

BTW I also echo the comment about when MC thinks that a lot is at stake. If we don't know what's at stake, we can't care. Tell us!

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited January 12, 2007).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spartan
Member # 4662

- posted      Profile for Spartan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...it has a lot of potential, but I agree that by telling instead of showing, it doesn't come off so well. I think that putting in some dialogue might help, like in wbriggs' example. The characters can relay info to us more naturally that way.

[This message has been edited by Spartan (edited January 13, 2007).]

Posts: 27 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

- posted      Profile for Swimming Bird           Edit/Delete Post 
"Sent chills down the spine" is too cliche for words, and shouldn't be used in serious prose fiction.
Posts: 151 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 3360

- posted      Profile for Megan   Email Megan         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the input guys. just FYI i do go into dialogue a few more lines down...but i'll retype it and post it again. it's my first time writing so i need all the help i can get!
Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Practice makes perfect! And for a first try, this is really very good. The truth is that working out the right way to begin a story is one of the hardest things for an author to master. It is also one of the most important things...an editor might give you a sentence to draw them in on a bad day.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.