Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » To gain the world (Sci-fi)

Author Topic: To gain the world (Sci-fi)
Donelle
Member # 4677

- posted      Profile for Donelle   Email Donelle         Edit/Delete Post 

quote:

His beatific smile declared that he was at peace with the world despite its countless ills–- or perhaps because of them. He never blinked his stone gray eyes, or if he did, it was so quick that I’d always miss it.

He was dressed in gray and white. Just looking at his coarse tweed jacket made me itch. He was short, skinny as a match and his wrinkled skin was the texture of burnt cigarette. I thought he’d disintegrate if I sneezed on him.

He smoothed over a few wisps of smoky hair which had come undone from his comb-over. With the same hand he reached out to shake mine. “I’ll, be your viviscintist”

“You mean soul-surgeon.”

He laughed. “If I could touch souls, Mr. Plank I would have been a poet.”

The description of the viviscentist came from a character sketch I made of a man I saw while walking home from school. Since then, I've always been looking to put him in one of my stories and I think he fits well in this piece. Just wondering if the description is strong enough for a hook. Thanks!

Posts: 44 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ash
Member # 4615

- posted      Profile for Ash   Email Ash         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you ought to name him to start. It lets us get more of a feel of him. I like the way you made him the focus rather than the first person "I," minimizes the alienating effect first person stories sometimes have if they get too introspective. The first two lines make him out to be a mysterious man, and the second two lines make him out to be a frumpy old weakling. For me the two didn't square well, I find it hard to imagine a slightly funny looking frumpy old man in a comb-over with an aura of mystery about him. But the conversation bespeaks wit, and is very good, I liked that part a lot.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green_Writer
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for Green_Writer   Email Green_Writer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would read on, though the POV assumes a lot from a smile. Other than that the description of the viviscientist was vivid.

"burnt cigarette" - ?? Not sure I understand the image here. How can skin appear this way?

Posts: 67 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
All the paragraphs start with "He/His" turn one around to change the rythm.
"Burnt cigarrette"? How about "smoking paper"/"cigarrette paper" (what's the word in English)?
Otherwise very interesting. I dissagree on throwing the word "viviwhatever" in the begining: the description is enough to make the reader envision some kind of new-age or spiritual guy and giving him a name wraps up the begining nicely. In a sense, you have a whole story in those 13 lines where the reader's interest is aroused by the description of a guy who can't be too normal and all suspicions are confirmed when he introduces himself

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the reference to "skin like a burnt cigarette", but I think your smoking a little too much in the description.

I would read on, if for no other reason than to answer some questions.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited January 27, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
This could work for me if you established the narrator better. As it is, the description failed to produce a definite image of the character being described. But I liked the dialog.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, "viviscentist" reads far too much like vivisectionist, which is an actual word. Even if the reader only mistakes it for "vivisectist" (not generally an accepted usage), it still doesn't convey the right meaning.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it, but I would agree with defining the subject character--naming him, I mean. Otherwise it feels as if I've jumped into the middle of the story instead of the beginning, which tends to confuse, which tends to turn me off.

Other than that, I'm quite taken by it.

Is there more? Is it available for critique?

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.