Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Cauldron War -- Fantasy 3100 words

Author Topic: The Cauldron War -- Fantasy 3100 words
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for readers:

Ronald and his brother fished the waters around the Kirin Islands for their entire lives and had never worried much about the pirates. Pirates and fishermen hunted different prey, and both groups pretty much left each other alone. None of this made Ronald feel any better about the pirate vessel, the Merry Dancer, bearing down on his little fishing boat.

The pirate ship dropped sail as it coasted into position alongside his boat. “Ahoy,” a pirate shouted as he threw a line down to Ronald.

Ronald grabbed the line and tied it to a cleat before turning a worried eye to his brother, Donald, at the tiller.

Donald shrugged and shook his head.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alye
Member # 5017

- posted      Profile for Alye   Email Alye         Edit/Delete Post 
I would rearrange to show the pirate vessel bearing down, and then bring up how they never really worried about pirates.

I would read on. I love a good pirate story.

Posts: 126 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the order it's in. Before we know how worried to feel (with MC) about the pirate ship, we need to know, well, how he feels about pirate ships.

I'll read. Will send email.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read if you want. Email it to me.
Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antinomy
Member # 5136

- posted      Profile for Antinomy   Email Antinomy         Edit/Delete Post 
I could go either way on the opening, but a pirate ship bearing down on a fishing party assures a coming conflict.

I am more disturbed by the similarity in names, i.e., Ronald/Donald, which may confuse readers until their individual characters are well defined.

I'll read your email. Yarr, it's a pirates life for me.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little confused:

Are the pirates attacking Ronald and Donald? Are they friends?

In one sentence the Merry Dancer is bearing down on Ron and Don, and the pirate calls out "ahoy" and tosses them a line.

The First sentence says Ron and Don don't worry about the pirates, and the Second-to-Last shows Ron worrying abot the pirates.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdeveson
Member # 5187

- posted      Profile for tdeveson   Email tdeveson         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the order it's in. And you've got my attention, I definitely want to know what happens next.

The fact that sailors don't worry about pirates until they actually get boarded doesn't bother me.

I've got two nits:

1) The name thing. I'm confused. Even if their parents had named them in rhyme, by the time they were grown they would each have personalized their names. (Ron/Donald?) As a reader, I stumbled over that and had to regroup for a moment. Unless there's a powerful reason, I'd make their names different.

2.) You used the word "pirate" two more times than you needed to. In the first sentence, we establish that pirates are bearing down on them. Further down you write, "pirate ship" in one sentence and "a pirate shouted." These would have been wonderful opportunities to describe the ship and the shouting man (which I, as a reader, would have let represent all the other nasty scum aboard).

These are my humble opinions. I know nothing. I just wrote my first 13 lines of fiction this morning and posted them in short story fragments. Please take my comments accordingly.

I would really like to read the rest of it.

Toni

[This message has been edited by tdeveson (edited March 15, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by tdeveson (edited March 15, 2007).]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the offers to read. It should be on the way.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get it
Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd prefer to see the opening begin with the pirate ship bearing down on them (and do change the names! "Ron/Don", that's confusing!) and then be surprised at Ron's lack of worry - then you can get into why he isn't worried. That creates an intriguing difference from most pirate stories, IMO, that he isn't worried about being boarded. Hope this helps. Good luck with it!

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.