Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Kaiel first 13

Author Topic: Kaiel first 13
stevenrushing
Member # 1915

- posted      Profile for stevenrushing   Email stevenrushing         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really even have a working title for this yet...

Basic outline:

Woman goes to a home to enforce broken rules. The penalty is that the home and all possessions in it burn. When she arrives, she realizes it is an orphanage. Over time she researches, questions rules. Ends up having to enforce rules on her husband (Less). Eventually "changes sides" to fight rules.

This is the beginning of a serial novel (or really, twin serial novels told on opposite sides of the same world) that my brother and I are working on. The first "episode" should be 4-5000 words.

--------------------------------

This was the third house this month. Kaiel didn’t know if the number of nonconformists was rising, or if the Fair were doing a better job of detection, but it really didn’t matter. Esiac’s will would be done, Less said it was so didn’t he?

A little girl looked out the window, peeking around aged but well kept drapery. Her hair was short, face freckled, teeth straight, body lean. All as would be expected of a young girl in Rild. But her eyes. She never got used to the fear in the children’s eyes. Kaiel's simple (some said plain) beauty and long light hair used to put children at ease. Her height made her the mountain of choice for them to climb.

Now her rigid uniform and commanding voice frightened little children. But she had a job to do.

-----------------------------

Does it hook you? What works and what doesn't?

[This message has been edited by stevenrushing (edited May 17, 2007).]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
The names are a bit off putting for me - I think it's because I'm not sure how you would pronounce then. I find this problem in a lot of books. The writer obviously knows how he/she pronounces them but I'm not always sure. Maybe its just me. I'm looking at Kaiel and I'm saying Kyle. I don't know if that's right or wrong?

quote:
Esiac’s will would be done, Less said it was so didn’t he?

I'm finding this a bit awkward. I'd suggest something along the lines of: Esiac's will would be done, Less had said so, hadn't he?

I'm not sure about the second paragraph. Going from the descirption of the girl, to the description of Kaiel is a bit too much information. Maybe start with the bit about not being used to the fear in childrens eyes and up to: she had a job to do... then the bit about the girl. That way, you are not jumping from Kaiel, to the girl, back to Kaiel.

I think it should be at, not of detection?

Does it hook? Not sure.. maybe less description and more action is needed. Maybe concentrate on the girl in the window and you'll have a better hook and describe Kaiel later, there's plenty of story to do that in.

How many words are you planning to write and how much have you done already? Is it a short story or a novel. You've put in your outline that its a novel, but its on the short story topic board?

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stevenrushing
Member # 1915

- posted      Profile for stevenrushing   Email stevenrushing         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your comments! I actually wasn't sure which to post it to. It is going to be episodic short fiction. Jason (my brother) and I have played with the idea of attempting to put the stories together into a book one day, but who knows if it will happen. I like to think it will. =)

You are right, it should be "at detection" =)

I am looking to rewrite the beginning either with more emphasis on the girl looking out of the window (who really isn't even involved in the story by page three) or from her pov, looking out at Kaiel. (and I pronounce it KI - EL in my mind, my brother pronounces it Kayl (rhymes with gail) so i guess it doesn't matter. =) Well, it does if the reader trips on it!

Posts: 16 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nemonus
Member # 5474

- posted      Profile for Nemonus   Email Nemonus         Edit/Delete Post 
I mentally pronouced it "Kay-el". "-iel" names are so common. I'd change the spelling.

Not bad. As darklight said, "Less said it was so didn’t he?" needs a comma or so to make it flow better. Here "She never got used to the fear..." is a bit confusing because you go from Kaiel's POV ('outside') to the child's ('inside') and then out again. "Kaiel's simple (some said plain) beauty and long light hair used to put children at ease. Her height made her the mountain of choice for them to climb." rather detracts from the immediacy of the situation, whatever it is, and unless Kaiel is thinking about how her affinity with children will help or hurt her mission (seems hurt, because of the misgivings she has in "didn't he?" and the summary)it does not add to the scene. Otherwise, your sentences are okay.

I am interested in seeing what the organization "the Fair" who apparently police "nonconformists" are, but this opening doesn't intrigue me enough about them or about who Kaiel is. You do, though, know what you're doing with the plot idea and with suggesting strangeness and drama in the first few lines, it just needs to be more pointed.

Hope that helped.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I mentally pronounced it "Kigh-el" deriving from the ai sound. Kaiel and Esiac are too close for my comfort, it seems that you're unnecessarily adding vowels to make a common pronounciation less common looking: Less is normally, Les.

quote:

This was the third house[For what?] this month. Kaiel didn’t know if the number of nonconformists was rising, or if the Fair were doing a better job of detection, but it really didn’t matter.[If it doesn't metter why mention it?] Esiac’s will would be done, Less said it was so[,] didn’t he?

A little girl[Who? What's her name?] looked out the window, peeking around [aged but well kept drapery<--a little awkward]. Her hair was short, face freckled, teeth straight, body lean.[<--sounds info-dump-ish] All as would be expected of a young girl in Rild[Where?]. But her eyes.[<--Fragment. And, it is confusing. The girl's eyes were different than any other young girl in Rild?] She never got used to the fear [So, this is common: the fear in their eyes?] in the children’s eyes. Kaiel's simple [(some said plain)<--necessary?] beauty and long light hair used to put children at ease. Her height made her the mountain of choice for them to climb.[<--What?]

Now her rigid uniform and commanding voice frightened little children. But she had a job to do

I think you should spend less time having the MC postulate, and tell the story while she's doing her job -- which is what exactly? If I knew what her Job was, or who the others were, I might be hooked, but as it sets, I'm not. I'm left confused, with unanswered questions.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited May 17, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Treadwell
Member # 5434

- posted      Profile for Amy Treadwell   Email Amy Treadwell         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
Have you read Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury? It's based on the same premise as your story. Check it out if you're writing a serial, 'cause if you haven't read it you may be re-inventing the wheel. (An it's a great book, well worth your time.)

Posts: 23 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
OSC has a great bit on his website here about story beginnings (it's one of the writing lessons - I think it even says something about beginnings in there.) I may be getting two of his lessons mixed up, but it's talking about the Ender's Shadow book, and how he chose to start it in the POV of the Poke character. He does this for a few pages (?I think) as a way to introduce us to the MC, Bean, who is "named" by Poke (You ain't worth a bean. or something like that she says.)

Anyway - his writing lesson about it is interesting because it goes through the process of his decision to use her POV temporarily for the intro. You might find it helpful as you work through the tricks about how to handle your intro.

I suggest a change in name - Less is hard to recognize as a name. I fully expected that sentence to read, "Less is more, eh?"

The referent gets a little lost in the "a little girl" paragraph. You talk about the girl, then you say "She never got used to the fear..." - you're back in the POV of the MC, but the switch isn't entirely clear. I spent at least 5 seconds trying to figure out if the girl was not used to the fear or the woman.

FWIW, I read the name Kaeil as sounding like gail. I liked it, and it seemed like it could be the name for a male or female. Esiac I skipped over, re-reading it, I'm reminded of the name of one of the first computers (the Eniac, or something like that?) My main reaction is that I'm wanting to pronounce all the vowels separately, which makes that word (Esiac) have a lot of syllables for its length. Essac...Essic. Siac. Cais. Ezac. Ezic. I have no idea, just throwing out some ideas. Or choose vowels that blend better (I'm reminded of the name Esau, from the Bible. The vowels blend.)

Some readers will actively avoid books where they can't pronounce the names. Even though we don't read aloud (necessarily), people do mentally pronounce the new words they read, and if something seems unpronounceable or strange, it can be a real tripping up point.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mauvemuse
Member # 5488

- posted      Profile for Mauvemuse   Email Mauvemuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just gonna be kinda random- Esiac rmainds me of how I oncwe heard the name Isaac pronounced- (soft i)Isi-ac. Anyway, sounds interesting but a bit confused.
Posts: 39 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting.
This phrase is a problem

quote:
Esiac’s will would be done, Less said it was so didn’t he?

Otherwise I wouldn't describe the girl (no need), but I do like your description of the protagonist and how you show she now frightens children. I tend not to describe people fisically too much, so maybe you can just ignore this crit as a pet peeve.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.