Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » (Untitled as yet) 1500 -5000, fantasy

Author Topic: (Untitled as yet) 1500 -5000, fantasy
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
The sword felt cold in his hand despite the jungle heat, and Tekka wasn’t sure if it was the bug bites or heat distress that made him feel dizzy. But he didn’t care, not after months of traipsing through the jungle searching for the very sword he held. The natives warned him, they warned him that the temple was cursed. Perhaps they were right he thought, but he had found Manox’s legendary sword and he had triumphed over the pitiful trap protecting it. Tekka held the sword high, stared up at the heavens and screamed in defiance at the Gods. His scream gurgled in his throat and he fell over dead
with an arrow protruding from his neck. A man stepped through the dense brush and walked over to Tekka’s stiff body, picking up the sword with a large blanket, “My thanks to you young

Manox’s sword was cursed who ever held it was doomed to failure, and that is why Gillam placed the sword carefully into a specially made case sealing it away. Gillam is a thief, and it is because of this that he was sent to the dark jungles of Hannak to search for this very item.

Interesting? What's good/what's bad?

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited May 30, 2007).]

Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting? Yes. My largest issue that will need to be dealt with before I would be able to continue reading would be the second paragraph. It is naught but an info dump, and it tells where showing would be much more helpful to a reader. Extract the information in the second paragraph using something other than the narrator. It seems to me there are 3 important pieces of information presented here:

1. The sword curses anyone who holds it.
2. Gillam is a thief.
3. Gillam was sent into the jungle to retrieve the sword.

Explain these three things to me using Gillam's actions, an interior monologue, a conversation he holds with the poor dead soul who recovered the sword.

And, as a second nitpick... where did the arrow through Tekka's neck come from. Another trap? Jungle natives? Gillam? If it was Gillam (and I think it was), maybe show that a little. I'm making an assumption where I should be more sure of things.

If you can clean up that second paragraph and carry it on, you've got me for another page or two. Thinking on it now, if you could clean that up, I'd be on this like cheese on mac.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The sword felt cold in his hand despite the jungle heat,[<-- I'd suggest ending the first sentence here, because it's long and a little clunky. I suggest subsituting "Tekka" for "his" and begin the next sentence with: He]wasn’t sure if it was the bug bites or heat distress that made him feel dizzy. But he didn’t care, not after months of traipsing through the jungle searching for the very sword he held. The natives warned him, they warned him that the temple was cursed. Perhaps they were right he thought, but he had found Manox’s legendary sword and he had triumphed over the pitiful trap protecting it. Tekka held the sword high, stared up at the heavens and screamed in defiance at the Gods. His scream gurgled in his throat and he fell over dead with an arrow protruding from his neck.[This section should be separated because it switches PoV.] A man stepped through the dense brush and walked over to Tekka’s stiff body, picking up the sword with a large blanket, “My thanks to you young warrior,” [Actual end of the 13 lines.]the man placed the sword into a case and walked back into the dense jungle, smiling to himself.
Manox’s sword was cursed who ever held it was doomed to failure, and that is why Gillam placed the sword carefully into a specially made case sealing it away. Gillam is[<--violates tense] a thief, and it is because of this that he was sent to the dark jungles of Hannak to search for this very item.

The idea is cool.

• I suggest that you tell the story from Gillam's PoV. He can watch the native bring the blade past nearly insurmountable odds. Then when he falls to his knees, exhausted, shouting his victory to the Gods, we can see through Gillam's eyes as he take unconscionable aim at the back of the native's neck.

If you clear up the PoV issue, I'd read on.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited May 30, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  • kings_falcon
    Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
    If you clean up the POV and plausibility issues you'd have me interested.

IMHO, don't kill a POV character after just one paragraph, especially when that paragraph is the opening one. Just tell us this story from Gillam's POV. The problem is I was getting to like Tekka and then he was dead. Now I have to forge a bond with another character.

You have 2 POVs.

This is Tekka

quote:
    The sword felt cold in his hand despite the jungle heat, and Tekka wasn’t sure if it was the bug bites or heat distress that made him feel dizzy. But he didn’t care, not after months of traipsing through the jungle searching for the very sword he held. The natives warned him, they warned him that the temple was cursed. Perhaps they were right he thought, but he had found Manox’s legendary sword and he had triumphed over the pitiful trap protecting it. Tekka held the sword high, stared up at the heavens and screamed in defiance at the Gods.

This is full Omni or someone else's, not Gillam's POV

quote:

His scream gurgled in his throat and he fell over dead
    with an arrow protruding from his neck.
    A man stepped through the dense brush and walked over to Tekka’s stiff body, picking up the sword with a large blanket.
    “My thanks to you young warrior.”
    The man placed the sword into a case and walked back into the dense jungle, smiling to himself.

While not a terrible sin since the first paragraph can be in a different POV, you need to be aware of it.

On withholding:

Tekka knows what the sword is, he knows what the curse is. Just tell me. I'll be hooked if you do because I'll know what he's risked.

If you fall into Gilliam's POV, you can show me what he thinks about Tekka's stupidity at handling the sword with a bare hand.

You mention a blanket, a case and an arrow but not how they enter or leave the scene. Did Tekka have the blanket? Did Gilliam? Where did Gilliam withdraw the blanket from? Where did Gilliam get the case from? What happened to the weapon that fired the arrow? Could Gilliam really carry all this stuff through the forest for months along with survival supplies? You don't have to answer these questions here but they are what I am wondering. Because I am wondering them, I'm beginning to have plausibility doubts that will make me stop reading.

Everything you tell me has to be clear. If a prop comes on stage, it has to be accounted for. The audience/reader needs to see it and what becomes of it. If you focus on Gilliam and not Tekka you can show me the details that will draw me in.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    melchizedek
    Member # 5507

- posted      Profile for melchizedek           Edit/Delete Post 
    It seems that you do a lot of telling, rather than showing, especially in the second paragraph. You've already, to some extent, shown that the sword is cursed. If you want to give more information, do it through Gillam.

I agree with InarticulateBabbler. If you could write the whole thing from Gillam's POV, I think it would improve the piece. You start off the piece inside Tekka's head, and when he died, I was thrown out of the story. I had to figure out what had happened. It gives the reader a shock, but it also runs the risk of pulling them so far out of the story that they don't want to read on.

I also noted several problems with verb tense and with punctuation. These were distracting enough that they made reading the piece more difficult.

I'd be interested in reading more, especially if you clean up the problems with verb tense and the issues with POV.

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
    Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.