Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Zephyr (Sci-Fi, looking for feedback)

Author Topic: Zephyr (Sci-Fi, looking for feedback)
zetars
Member # 2956

- posted      Profile for zetars           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a story I've just started. Five teens are comtinuing a search that started when they were 10, for something(can't rveal it). Zephyr is the entrance, and they call it Zephyr, because like the wind, they can't catch it.

As per every summer, since we were 10, the search continued. It was a cool summer night, with a passing breeze in the field quivering the tall grass. There Henry, Autumn and I sat, hunting. For years, our search for what we called Zephyr had been fruitless, but for the first time, in a long time, things looked different.

I gazed up, over the grass, catching a light breeze. Peering into the pines ahead, I could distinguish movement. Henry and Autumn at my signal rose up also, scouring the timber line for signs of activity. “Tom, up ahead.” Henry pointed towards a path in the grass that winded into the woods. I stalked forward, careful not to make a sound, lest the Protectors hear me.

[This message has been edited by zetars (edited June 04, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited June 06, 2007).]

Posts: 78 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Five teens are comtinuing a search that started when they were 10, for something(can't rveal it).

Why not?

quote:
As per every summer, since we were 10, the search continued.[I wouldn't start like this. My suggestion would be to start with: Henry, Autumn and I sat, hunting. If you did that, you wouldn't need the first sentance because the next one explains what they have searched for and for how long] It was a cool summer night, with a passing breeze in the field quivering the tall grass. There Henry, Autumn and I sat, hunting. For years, our search for what we called Zephyr had been fruitless, but for the first time, in a long time, things looked different.

I gazed up, over the grass, catching a light breeze. Peering into the pines ahead, I could distinguish[would go for something less formal than distinguish here] movement. Henry and Autumn at my signal rose up also, scouring the timber line for signs of activity. [New paragraph]“Tom, up ahead.” Henry pointed towards a path in the grass that winded into the woods. I stalked forward, careful not to make a sound, lest the Protectors[Who are they?] hear me.

The search for Zephyr had been long and arduous. Ultimately, Zephyr wasn’t even what we were really after... It was merely the entrance.[this takes us out of the story. I suggest try to put this information in to the story some other way. I want to know what they do next.]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Quick gut reaction - there are a lot of "ing" words in this fragment. I forget the exact rationale (I'm terrible with recalling details on this sort of thing, LOL) but it's really a better idea to use a stronger form of a verb whenever possible...then the repetition of the similar word endings gets distracting for some readers (like me!)

For instance, get rid of "passing" breeze. Breezes, by their nature, move past us...giving us that calm breezy feeling. For quivering, I'd suggest rustle. That invokes another sense, too, which is good.

In the next paragraph you have catching, peering, scouring...it seems like at least one or two of these could be modified. It's not the end-all, be-all advice, but just something I noticed and something I work toward reducing in my own writing. But, apparently not in my posts.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
You write like a lawyer. Trust me on this, I have to constantly keep a guard up lest words that real people don't use, like "lest," sneak into my writing. With some editing you might hook me, but I am concerned about the withholding.

This is a short, get the information out ASAP.

quote:
As per only lawyers use this word. When have you ever used it in conversation or thought it? You could start with Every summer, but I liked IB's starting point better every summer, since we were 10 spell TEN out , the search continued For what? Just tell me "Zepher, the gateway to the lair of the Evil Robot Monkey King . It was a cool summer night, with a passing breeze in the field quivering odd word choice use. Grass doesn't quiver it blows the tall grass. There Henry, Autumn and I sat, hunting how do you hunt sitting . For years, our search for what we called Zephyr had been fruitless, but for the first time, in a long time, things looked different. Why?

I gazed up, over the grass, catching a light breeze. Peering into the pines ahead, I could distinguish movement. Henry and Autumn at my signal rose up also, scouring the timber line for signs of activity what kind? Animal motion or something else. Use this opportunity to show me what they are looking for .

“Tom, up ahead.” Henry pointed towards a path in the grass that winded into the woods.

I stalked forward, careful not to make a sound, lest again a lawyer word the Protectors of what? hear me.

The search for Zephyr had been long and arduous. Ultimately, Zephyr wasn’t even what we were really after... then why are you wasting my time? It was merely the entrance. Ahh . . nope, not hooked. You teased too much.

If you strip out the teasing and tell me you get something like:

Henry, Autumn and I waited half hidden in the tall grass. The signs indicated that after twenty years of hunting our search for what we called "Zephyr" might bear fruit.The entrance to the Evil Monkey King's castle had proved elusive until now.

I saw the flicker of a branch through the pines that ringed the field. Something was out there. At my signal, Henry and Autumn stood trying to spot what had caused the distrubance.

“Tom, up ahead.” Henry pointed towards a path in the grass that winded into the woods. I stalked forward. It would be our death if the Protectors, the guardians of Oz, heard us.

Now, I know who my POV is, what he is doing and why I should care. When you edit, watch the -ing endings. It's a sign of weaker than necessary writing. Try for stronger verbs. You had 5 -ing words. I have 1 in my version.

Even if you tell me, there is still a sense of mystery and excitement. You can't create either of those by withholding. Or if you do, you probably can't afford the price of doing it.

Edited twice (sigh) for HTML tags

[This message has been edited by kings_falcon (edited June 05, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by kings_falcon (edited June 05, 2007).]

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lianne
Member # 5491

- posted      Profile for Lianne           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I agree with the rewrites that are here. That first line just kills things. Start with your characters who are interesting and involved in something interesting and work from there.
good luck
lianne

Posts: 31 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't for me. I could hardly finish reading your post without drifting off or skimming.

You can't tell us what Zephyr is, but from the sounds of it, I'm not entirely sure you or your characters know what it is. "Zephyr is the entrance, and they call it Zephyr, because like the wind, they can't catch it". Maybe I'm just being obtuse, but this description is a little too vapid to hold my interest beyond the end of the sentence.

There are technical issues as well that keep throwing me out of the story. Others have mentioned the -ing words, which while not jarring are vestigal. The "lawyer speak" as kings puts it. Awkward punctuation errors, particularly "There Henry, Autumn and I sat, hunting.". I'm not actually certain that this is an error in punctuation (any grammar mavens out there want to clear this up for me?) but it is very awkward. Think of a better way to say this.

I had a look through your previous posts and it looks like you are a frequent contributor of your own stories, but very rarely comment on other people's fragments. I know I've taken a lot away from reading and critiquing other peoples work - seeing mistakes that other people are committing can make you more cognizant of the same mistake in your own writing.

As well, it pays off to complete a story before you submit it for critique. That way you've got a good grasp on what the story arc is, and how the first 13 lines can be worked into that arc.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.