Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » It was supposed to be easy. approximately 5000 words

Author Topic: It was supposed to be easy. approximately 5000 words
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
Editing/Rewrting last 1000 words now.

Biggest question again/again: Is there a hook now?

See updated 13

[This message has been edited by Matt Lust (edited June 20, 2007).]

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
Biggest answer: No hook for me.

They say that wake-up scenes are killers for hooks, unless something happens the precise moment that a character wakes up which is pivotal to the plot.

This isn't precisely a wake-up scene, but a driving/walking to work scene is essentially the same thing. I get a sense that the real intro to the plot might be just around the bend - is it that package?

I'd suggest dropping right into whatever interesting thing happens with the package, and save his walk to work for a later chapter beginning or as a back-track. As it stands now, all I know is that Nicholas doesn't like his clients and he doesn't like Mondays - these aren't traits interesting enough in and of themselves to make me want to know more about the character, and the scene doesn't solicit my interest, either.

Maybe a reworking of the presentation of events?

[Edited to include useful feedback, because I managed to hit 'Submit' after the first sentence.]

[This message has been edited by Marzo (edited June 19, 2007).]

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll heartily second Marzo's conclusion - no hook for me, either.

There's a lot of fat on this steak. This could be trimmed down to probably just two or three sentences. Lemme try.

Nicholas Furrier stepped into his office on Monday morning, and from a first glance at his secretary's desk, reaffirmed within himself that he truly truly hated Monday's. The slushpile was almost knee high with queries and manuscripts, and Martha had stuck three post-its on top of the pile; clients phoning to have their hands held and to be told everything is going alright, and yes Nicholas was in contact with editors from all the major houses trying to sell their books.

Martha held up Nicholas's traditional mug of black coffee and a large nondescript package. "Good Morning Mr. Furrier," she said. "A package from Mitsu-Sony arrived..."

Maybe a little longer than 3 lines (I know I cheated with that semicolon), but possibly a little tighter, less fat. Try to keep to the important details. I don't care what subway terminal he came out of, what street his building is on, whatever a "Chelsea office" is, etc.... I care about your character and what is happening to him. I'd read for maybe another page to see what this package from Mitsu-Sony is (a Mitsubishi-Sony merger?) but you'll have to get to the point of why this package is so important it deserves a specific mention in the first 13 quickly enough that I don't become bored and put the works down in my recycle bin.

Long story short, identify where the fat in your story is, and trim it. Sometimes, you've got to slay your babies, no matter how much you love them.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
No hook for me. Because, mostly, this is saying he hates mondays and his life is so boring that he's focused on how he hates mondays.

PS - and the Monday thing gets redundant.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited June 19, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Not hooked.

Heck, I can let my mind drift and dial into the same rant. Okay, it's a Tuesday and my clients don't send manuscripts but contracts for review and litigation to fight. Still, the thoughts are the same.

While I know you are supposed to start just before your MC's life gets turned upside down, you might want to start a but closer to that moment. Or at least get through the rant a lot quicker. 5K isn't a lot of words to tell a story in. Get to the point quickly.

Also, (and this is probably just me but . . .) I kept tripping over the last name. A Furrier is someone who sells fur coats I think. But first I have to jump over my automatic reflect to read that as "Farrier" the guy who shoes my horses. Then he's going to "Furrier's Ink", which I thought was a tattoo parlor. probably been watching "Miami Ink" too much but there it is. So, the reference to beling a literary agent jarred me.

Try starting somewhere else.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Chirped? Chirped!

Aside from that, what they said. Avoid cliches like the plague. Begin the story when something happens.

Suppose you got hit by a truck. You wouldn't begin telling the story "I woke up this morning and I went to work and I had lunch ... " You begin, "Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a truck as big as a house rushing toward me."

Rick

[This message has been edited by Rick Norwood (edited June 19, 2007).]

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

I never quite thought of it as a "fat" story but Marzo you make a pretty good point.

I suppose also I should have been clearer that I was setting this story in NYC. The clues (Third avenue subway 14th Street Chelsea which is part of manahattan)are there if you know the area but obviously I failed to communicate NYC.

Wolfe boy your modified intro is good, a little to descriptive for my taste but quite good. I really find that opening paragraphs are often rather droll when their simply scene setting.

All in all you confirmed my fears that I wasn't getting to the "action" fast enough. Of course this story doesn't really have action.

[This message has been edited by Matt Lust (edited June 19, 2007).]

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

see edit in first post
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
  • In the future, when you post a rewrite, please put it at the end of the thread. You can post a bold-typed :Edited Version Below tag, but if you change the original post it makes the subsequent comments look out of place and confuses newcomers to the post.

now that THAT has been said...

My take:

quote:
    As Nicholas Furrier walked into Furrier Ink’s 14th Street office in Chelsea on [a<--any old Monday, or just "Monday"?] Monday morning, he dreaded what lay ahead. [The job of a literary agent<--This makes the sentence ambiguous. Suggest using: A literary agent, Nick's job] consisted of dealing with clients[, current and potential<--This goes without saying], who crowded his mornings with inane complaints and banal questions.

This is a great job[,] except for the clients, Nick [groused<--He what?? thought?].

[Martha, his secretary, office manager and sometimes slush reader<--This sounds like a lot trying to be jammed into one sentence for the sake of brevity. Suggest you break it down, give it the flow it deserves. Example: Martha (last name) was his secretary and so much more. She was an organiser, manager, and part-time slush pile reader, all wrapped up in a bundle of cheer.] greeted him in the office lobby with an energetic smile.

“Good Morning Mr. Furrier,” she said. [Ignoring his sullen mood she continued<--Keep the verbs strong: She ignored his sullen mood and continued,], “The neuroesthetic device you ordered several months ago just arrived[.]” [She nodded] towards the box.[<--This is closer to a hook. It makes me wonder what it is and how it works, but I don't know if I'd want to invest 5,000 words in that curiosity.

“It’s about time, even War and Peace was [less tedious.”<--Than what?] Nick grumbled[,] as he poured a cup of coffee and then paused to take a sip.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited June 19, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  • kings_falcon
    Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
    Nope. Still not hooked.

Why?

You are still taking too long to get there. For the moment I don't care he's an agent or what his job entails. You can show me all of that in a moment. Show me the neurosthetic device and why I should care NOW. Come back for the back history later. Right now I feel like whatever the "device" is, it's going to be a cheat and a let down (for me not the character). You've also downplayed the significance of the "device" with his dialog.

I did get the NY city references. But the setting doesn't matter to me yet. Right now the story could take place in DC or Boston or LA and not have any difference. While I am sure that's not a true statement, for these 13 location isn't that important (other than he's in an office). The location detail can wait.

Your "action" starts when he picks up the package. IMHO delete the first three paragraphs and start with her handing him the package.

quote:

As Nicholas Furrier walked into Furrier Ink’s 14th Street office in Chelsea on a Monday morning I don't need the detail. Monday or Wednesday, what does it matter? All that matters is he "walked into office" - "of the literary agency he owned" could be added but isn't necessary yet , he dreaded what lay ahead So do I most days. Why should I care he hates his job . The job of a literary agent consisted of dealing with clients, current and potential, who crowded his mornings with inane complaints and banal questions. Okay, now he's pathetic. He OWNS the company and he hates his job. Seems to me he should sell the company. If the MC isn't interested the reader won't be either

This is a great job except for the clients, Nick groused. I think most agents say that the clients are what make the job fun. Although that could be PC BS too.

Martha, his girl Friday secretary, office manager and sometimes slush reader do I need these details now? greeted him in the office lobby with an energetic smile.

“Good Morning Mr. Furrier,” she said.

Ignoring his sullen mood < possible POV issue. If this is Nick sink into his head - "Ignoring his warning glare, she babbled on. she continued she never stopped , “The neuroesthetic device would she really know what it is? If she does - just have her say - the Evil Robot Monkey ("ERM") Suit you ordered several months ago this is not natural. You are adding it only for my (the reader's) benefit. I get he's been waiting a while from his next line just arrived.” She nodded towards the box.

“It’s about time, even War and Peace was less tedious, I'm not sure the reference works. How about - I've read War and Peace ten times waiting for the ERM to arrive Nick grumbled as he poured a cup of coffee then paused to take a sip.

After the build up to the device you throw the momentum away by having him "grumble". Is he excited it's here? Have him react. Show us the reaction. Tell me what the ERM IS. Then you might get me hooked.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Rick Norwood
    Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
    I assume that "neuroesthetic device" is the hook -- nothing else seems to be. A two word hook in 13 lines is not good. Also, the negative comment about War and Peace indicates that 1) your main character has not read War and Peace and 2) He is a suit, who cares nothing for literature. This would also go along with his dislike of his job, and set the reader up for a climax in which he gets his comeupance or else becomes Heinlein's "man who learns better". But is that where your story is going? Do you want your reader to dislike your POV character. This can be done well (see Heinlein's Logic of Empire, but I'll post the first 13 lines of that in the published 13 lines thread so you can see how much strong Heinlein's opening it.) But it is a hard trick to pull off, because the reader always has the option of getting rid of an unpleasant character by not finishing your story.
    Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Matt Lust
    Member # 3031

Thanks to everyone who's offered criticism so far.

Nick Furrier grunted as he got up from his desk for more coffee. Between clients with banal questions, editors with unreasonable requests, it was not a good morning.

“Mr. Furrier, The Neuroesthetic Ability Processor you ordered several months ago has arrived.” Martha Stuart, his secretary, said looking up from sorting manuscripts for courier delivery.

“It’s about time.” Nick’s dour mood lifting slightly. The Neuroesthetic Ability Processor captured images of brain activity to predict an author’s marketability, allegedly making his job easier.

Pouring a cup of coffee taking a sip, the bittersweet warmth mellowed his mood. “Thank you, Martha. I’ll be in the conference room if you need me.”

Rick Norwood
    Member # 5604

Either you disagree with the comments you got so far, or you aren't paying attention. Throw away this opening. Start the story when something happens.

Nick Furrier said, "So I told him, 'Sorry, Will, but the N.A.P. proves that nobody wants to see a play about some stupid Prince of Denmark who can't even make up his mind.'"

The other men at the bar laughed, and raised their Absolut martini's in appreciation.

[This message has been edited by Rick Norwood (edited June 20, 2007).]

InarticulateBabbler
    Member # 4849

Matt,

If you're not in a rush, I'll give this a look, and see what suggestions might help you sell what's going to happen in this short.

kings_falcon
    Member # 3261

Matt.

It's closer. If you want to shoot it to me, it will take me a bit to get back to you but maybe I can find a better starting point.

Matt Lust
    Member # 3031

I'm not in a rush. I've just got to get the ending done. I know how the story ends and have it written but I don't quite have it worked out how to get there coherently.

I'll send you it too you sometime tomorrow.

Matt Lust
    Member # 3031

Also rick it isn't that I disagree but I'm not seeing how i can "go straight to the aciton" and keep the entire tone of the story straight.

This is a story about Nick and his relationship with one client in particular. I don't want to just drop this client with whom he feels parental onto the reader without also trying to build a sense of who nick is before the reader/Nick meets the client.

As I write this I kind of take that back....I'll post a new 13 tomorrow.

However, you spot on captured the essence of the NAP as neuroesthetics is a real part of neurology.

For interesting reading check out the stuff by Semir Zeki.

Is it possible to write "hard SF" and while being "literary" in style? I want this to be a "inward" story about Nick so yeah....I have some work ahead of me.

Matt Lust
    Member # 3031

Well Rick something you said, I think, did the trick. Oh and I think I might have to steal that joke. That really is quite good.

Nick Furrier shouldered the office door open as he brought the boxes in on a handcart. The Neuroesthetic Ability Processor represented Furrier Literary Agency’s latest professional development investment.

“What is all this?” Martha Stuart, his secretary and office manager said looking up from sorting manuscripts for courier delivery to editors. In another pile sat galleys intended for review while another, much smaller, pile was the slush worth reading.

“A Neuroesthetic Ability Processor.” Preempting the follow-up question, he continued. “The easy answer is it captures images of brain activity to predict an author’s marketability, allegedly making my job easier.”

Rick Norwood
    Member # 5604

I was worried that I might have been too harsh on you, but I gather that the rule here is blunt honesty.

Sure, steal the joke. Good writers borrow, great writers steal. Heinlein steals from Gilbert and Sullivan all the time.

Nick doesn't move the cart himself. He tells his secretary to open the door so the office boy can wheel the cart in. If he's standing next to the door, and the secretary is sitting down at her desk, this can also help with the characterization of Nick. Then, if the office boy is the would-be writer Nick feels paternal toward, you have combined two characters into one, which almost always makes a better story.

If you would like me to read the whole story, send it along when it is finished.

[This message has been edited by Rick Norwood (edited June 21, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by Rick Norwood (edited June 21, 2007).]

Matt Lust
    Member # 3031

Rick I would love to send it too you and please keep being honest especially here in F&F.

I'll let you read the whole thing before I make client an employee too. I introduce the client in this scene but really this is Nick's story not the clients story though you've got a good idea.

Matt Lust
    Member # 3031

I find myself having to completely re-write the ending. I looked at it again and found I was having an "and then the aliens attacked" scene at the end that was really out place.

Needless to say this is being cut and a different way of achieving the end is being crafted.

Matt Lust
    Member # 3031

The story is finished. Coming in at 3,999 words. Emails sent to those who've already requested a copy.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
    Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.