Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Time Healer (first 13, SF)

Author Topic: Time Healer (first 13, SF)
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Dazed and disoriented, Garry King stared at the inside of a translucent blue hemispherical shell; a screaming drone of heavy machinery drifted down through the octaves to a murmur, as though exhausted. Moments ago, as he hunted his Lincoln in a New York parking lot, the shell had engulfed him in an intense blue-white flash of energy and dumped him unceremoniously on a warm, steel floor.

The shell faded, allowing him to see his new surroundings: a hall of towering machines ... and leaning against one, an elegant young woman gazing at him. "I've brought you forward thirty years to see the damage you did," she said. "I want you to go back and not do it."

==

Hi Everyone,

"Time Healer" is a short SF story of some 4,300 words. I'd appreciate comments on this first 13; offers to read would be a bonus.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
The first sentence is too long. Why not break it up into short, maybe even very short, sentences which I think would increase the tension. Not until the last sentence did I know what was going on - at least to some extent.

"I've brought you forward thirty years to see the damage you did. I want you to go back and not do it." This is way too pat. How about if he is told little or nothing - then shown, not told, what result his actions have had. What happens if he does not choose to go back and change his ways? To him I mean - how will they "convince" him to change his ways?

Interesting idea with lots of potential - but I think the opening could give us a little more information and be made a little more clear.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mfreivald
Member # 3413

- posted      Profile for mfreivald   Email mfreivald         Edit/Delete Post 
It's an intersting idea, and I think it has a lot of potential.

I think nitewriter has some good ideas to help it out. There could be a little more drama in how the idea is introduced. If she is a healer, we need to know about the wound. Or at least have a bit more tension about it.

It might help to have a better idea about how they feel about each other. Does she pity him? Is she leery of him? Is he going to willingly heal things? (Maybe the future isn't so bleak for him.) Is she going to bully him? Just a little something at the beginning might do a lot to draw us in.

Like I said, though--it looks like an interesting approach. (Rather than the typical "Time Cop.")

Posts: 394 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mfreivald
Member # 3413

- posted      Profile for mfreivald   Email mfreivald         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh--And I'll read, if you like.
Posts: 394 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sleepn247
Member # 5312

- posted      Profile for sleepn247   Email sleepn247         Edit/Delete Post 
Sentence variety helps. Right now you've got pretty long sentences with similar structures.

I don't really want to know that this woman is elegant or young. I want to know what she is wearing, what makes her interesting to him, what does she want, etc etc.

Making the second sentence a semi-flashback makes it anticlimactic. Why not start in the NY parking lot, searching for his Lincoln? That way you can establish why he was there, what he was doing there, etc.

Then the jarring mention of a translucent blue hemispherical shell is more interesting, less... matter of fact.

My two cents

Posts: 38 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
In your first paragraph, you start at one time in the first sentence. In the second sentence you mention things that happen both before and after the time of the first sentence. This is jarring to the reader.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, you have the same bad habit that I do - sentences that are far too long. Whenever I come across a sentence like that, my eyes start to blur and I lose sight of the point you were first making. Here's how I'd revise:

"Dazed and disoriented, Garry King stared at the inside of a translucent blue hemispherical shell[. instead of ; then capitalize the A] screaming drone of heavy machinery drifted down through the octaves to a murmur, as though exhausted. [I read this as the machinery was drifting down through the octaves, not its noise] Moments ago, [Abrupt transition; I would put someting in like "He stared around himself in shock," or "he still felt dazed from the suddeness of the event". Then start with the "Moments ago,"] as he hunted his Lincoln in a New York parking lot, the shell had engulfed him in an intense blue-white flash of energy and dumped him unceremoniously on a warm [get rid of comma] steel floor.
The shell faded, allowing him to see his new surroundings: a hall of towering machines [Get rid of the "...". Maybe put a period after "surroundings," then say "He was in a hall of towering machines, and leaning against one was an..."] and leaning against one, an elegant young woman gazing at him. "I've brought you forward thirty years to see the damage you did," she said. "I want you to go back and not do it." ["Not do it?" That's kind of poor grammer, I'd say "undo it" instead]

Hope this helps; I was definitely hooked and would be willing to read more. Just email it to me.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Pat. Good news first - I'm hooked and I'll offer to read it.

I've gathered that these critiques are opinions. That's certainly true for me. Keep that in mind.

Add another echo to the stuff about the long first sentence. BoredCow already hit my point. The clue is the dread semicolon. The part after the semicolon isn't a consequence of the part before and stands better as its own sentence.

The woman's dialog seems to be a change of intensity. Up to that point, you're describing a fantastic event with lots of disorienting dazzle. The backstep in the second sentence makes sense as what his mind would go through to recover from being dazed. The towering machines are all 'gee whiz' spectacular. After that, her statement falls flat. It's too simple.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a million for the comments everyone. And thanks too for the offers to read - I will email it to you later this week after one more minor revision to make it consistent with the revised first 13.

I drive myself nuts - I know I have a tendency to write long sentences, yet still I do it. <I must not write long sentences. I must not write long sentences ...>

Here's a second attempt for your consideration.

Garry King had just found his Lincoln in the New York parking lot when a blaze of light and screaming noise suddenly engulfed him.

He found himself staring in confusion at the inside of a perfectly hemispherical blue shell. Slowly, the noise subsided. The shell faded away, revealing a hall of towering machines -- and a lovely young woman, dressed incongruously in a black evening gown and glittering, platinum jewelry.

"I've brought you forward thirty years to see the mess you made," she said. "I want you to go back and not make it."

Thanks again,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pat. Here's a few thoughts on the re-write.

quote:
Garry King had just found his Lincoln in the New York parking lot when a blaze of light and screaming noise suddenly engulfed him. [sorry, but I immediately have a problem with this type of sentance. Why not go for something like: Garry King pushed the key into the door of his Lincoln and hoped the New York roads wouldn't be too busy tonight. From nowhere, a blaze of light, and screaming noise engulfed him and he began to shake with fear. I added that last bit because I'm sure anyone surrounded by light and noise would be afraid but of course it's your story so just ingore me!]

He [b][found himself staring stared] in confusion at the inside of a perfectly hemispherical blue shell. Slowly, the noise subsided. The shell faded away, revealing a hall of towering machines -- and a lovely young woman, dressed incongruously in a black evening gown and glittering, platinum jewelry.

"I've brought you forward thirty years to see the mess you made," she said. "I want you to go back and not make it."[

Ok, so I'm slightly intrigued to the idea of him brought forward thirty years and being told what his actions did and would offer to read the entire thing if you want to send it my way. I'm not getting a sense of how this man feels though. As I already pointed out; he reacts as if this kind of thing happens to him all the time. All I get is a bit of confusion and would think he'd be afraid too.

Hope these suggestion are of use.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeffrey.hite
Member # 5278

- posted      Profile for jeffrey.hite   Email jeffrey.hite         Edit/Delete Post 
I will read. It will be next week until I can get to it but I will read if you are still looking for readers.

I would like to withhold my comments until I have read the whole thing.

Posts: 95 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

darklight - Thanks for your comments. I'll ponder how he feels. In my mind it all happens so quickly he doesn't get time to feel much, beyond staring in confusion at the shell. At most he's thinking "What the ...?" and feeling confused. Perhaps I should keep the 'dazed and disoriented' from the earlier version. I'll send you a copy later this week after some revisions in the light of everyone's comments here - thanks for the offer to read.

jeffrey.hite - thanks for the offer to read, I'll send a revion later this week.

Cheers for now,
Pat

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
My take:

quote:
Garry King had just found his Lincoln in the New York parking lot when [he was engulfed by] a [cacophonous<--Less redundant than "noise".] blaze of light.

He [stared] in confusion at the inside of a [Deleted] hemispherical blue shell. Slowly, the noise subsided. The shell faded away, revealing a hall of towering machines -- and a lovely young woman, dressed [Deleted] in a black evening gown and glittering, platinum jewelry.

"I've brought you forward thirty years to see the mess you made," she said. "I want you to go back and [not make it<--Wierd wording. I would think: I want you to go back and fix it.]"

• Good Hook.
  • There's nothing inconruous about a black evening gown and platinum jewelry.
  • This wasn't 13 lines.

If you give this an adverb sweep, I'll give it a read.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited July 05, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  • TaleSpinner
    Member # 5638

Thanks IB for the comments and your kind offer to read.

Sorry if it was over 13, I thought it was ok. But I have been known to make mitsakes. Mistakes.

"I've brought you forward thirty years to see the mess you made," she said. "I want you to go back and not make it."

You remarked this sounds weird and BoredCrow said that a similar phrase in the earlier draft seemed ungrammatical.

So here's the thing. As Kind will find out shortly, the woman is a temporal mathematician with a precise mind. She knows that, from King's perspective, he has not yet done the thing she's bothered about so, from his time perspective, he can't fix something he hasn't done. In his future, when he gets the opportunity to do this thing, she wants him not to do it.

This line is the hook, and I'm reluctant to change it because, as it stands, the odd turn of phrase is logically consistent with other things she says, and tells us something about the woman's precision of mind, when eventually we understand it.

So my question is this: is the odd turn of phrase weird enough to put the reader off, or will most readers suspend judgment for a while?

Cheers,
    Pat

InarticulateBabbler
    Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
    1) It wasn't 13 lines, because it fell short.

2) The odd turn of phrase COULD put some readers off. I'm not telling you what to write, but it stopped me, and ripped me out of the story enough to bug me. Fortunately, it was at the end. Maybe consider what she knows, what he (and we) doesn't know, and reword it so that it makes sense to everyone.

3) A lot of us -- myself included -- have a habit of trying to "explain" what the reader misunderstood. You can do that here, but not in an editor's office: you won't be there.

When I said I'd read it, I was in effect saying that I trusted you to clear that up.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited July 05, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    jeffrey.hite
    Member # 5278

- posted      Profile for jeffrey.hite   Email jeffrey.hite         Edit/Delete Post 
    My own two cents about this.
    I too thought it kind of an odd phrase, but having said that, he is in a weird situation so the phrase didn't put me off enough to stop reading. There are things that I am very sensitive about, slightly odd wording like this is not one of them. Now say you were to use flowery speech like so may fantasy writers try to use, or you tried to use King James English without being a scholar of that version of English then I would be put off. One odd phrase that might set something off later... Well enough with my little tirade!

-Jeff

Posts: 95 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    debhoag
    Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
    I've been following the posts on my laptop, but cannot log on from there to comment. ARGGH! I thought it a sharp turn of phrase, and did not find it distracting. It was, for me, part of the hook. When you reduce everything down to the lowest common denominator, everything becomes trite. Having said that, I'm now getting ready to send my own trite short to IAB . If I survive, I'll wave a flag!

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited July 05, 2007).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    TaleSpinner
    Member # 5638

Thanks a million for the feedback, folks. I'll ponder it a little more and then email the next revision to those who kindly offered to read, hopefully later today.

"A lot of us -- myself included -- have a habit of trying to "explain" what the reader misunderstood. You can do that here, but not in an editor's office: you won't be there."

Yes, IB, and for me that's one of the huge values of Hatrack. For example, it has enabled me to understand how various readers might feel about this hook and its use of language so I can revise (or not) accordingly.

Cheers,
    Pat

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
    Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.