Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A start of a story - what does it do for you?

Author Topic: A start of a story - what does it do for you?
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
This is something I thought of yesterday evening. I have done plenty of development with this story but I never thought on how it would begin. Until now. If it begins with these words, what is your opinion? Does it make you curious? Tell me whatever pops into your mind, don't be shy. I insist.
________________________________________________________--

"I think it is time for me to retire."
"You are twenty-four, twit."
"Precisely – I’m getting old. Considering how long I’m in this business I should be dead by now. The only possible choice is to retire. My daughter is eight years old. It is time for me to accept fatherhood and to abandon the servitude to the war god. I’m returning home."

Let's just say he never reached home...

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
only thing that occurs to be off the top of my head is that if he is in servitude to a war God, in a culture that has a war God, the warm and fuzzy notion of going home to a good daddy is not going to go over very well. But it sounds cool, and I am imagining that trying to retire is wear a major part of his conflict comes up.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
"... don't be shy. I insist." You asked for it.

"I think it is time for me to retire." - Yeah! Hits close to home.

"You are twenty-four, twit." - Boo! I couldn't do that.

"in this business I should be dead by now" and "abandon the servitude to the war god." - Yeah! Life expectancy issues = early retirement

"You are twenty-four, twit." and "My daughter is eight years old." Huh? Now that's interesting. The MC appears to have gained maturity in 8 years.

Seriously, the noble goal and possibilities for a soldier to escape his servitude could make an interesting conflict.

"Let's just say he never reached home..." - Is this in your first 13? If so, it blows the curiosity. It's a downer after all the noble, hopeful buildup.

Gonna guess he has a name other than 'twit' and he's not talking about blatant desertion from an army. Those would be points to cover soon, if not work into the 13 lines.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like dialog openings.

I especially don't like ones that asks me accept so many things on "credit." Credit in this case is the author begging the reader for a loan of time to read a story I know nothing about.

This story gives me very little in the way of collateral.

I need you to prove your credit worthiness by increasing the value of your down payment.

1) 16 year old fathers. So, 13-16 year old mothers? Culture issues must be addressed or left till later.

2) 24 year old even being allowed to "retire" from service just becuase he feels tired. I'm sorry but no I need a better reason than "I'm tired"

3) "service to the War God" that alone needs a better development and would have sent you to the back of the line your book. I don't know if this is a "real" god or just the way servants of the War God's religion refer to service in the name of their deity. I need to know is tis service in an army or as a vigilante warrior, is it as a priest or as a solider? is this a grunt or a general.

4) War God at all. As noted by others this indicates a very martial people. Its also marginally trite and cliche. I need to know what you plan to do in this story to make your character transcend cliche and become a "real boy"

The idea of forsaking one duty for another is fine. Just make sure you do it right.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

OK, I obviously need to elaborate.

These are not THE first lines of the story; I like to consider them as a plot opener. I didn't want to post more because those 13 lines would be mostly filled with describing a setting.

First thing to note: the 'war god' is a symbol of philosophy, not religion (hence the absence of capital letters). It is philosophy of the older one, calling the young one a 'twit'. OK, this sounds stupid. The elder's name is Anherey, the younger is Enniorhon.

By the time Enniorhon was 22, he participated in over 50 battles. He was a soldier under a general's command from the age 16 to 17. Then he deserted and left his station (personal reasons). He travelled to other countries where warriors were independant mercenaries - heroes, one might call them. He became one too.

In the next five years Enniorhon achieved fame unlike any other hero in the world. He set himself a goal to kill a monster of the enemy (figuratively speaking, of course). He searched years for this man until finally locating him and slaying him. After this kill he began to think about going home - he was sick of war.

'Let's just say he never reached home...' This was my personal note, not a part of 13 lines. He never reached home
not because they wouldn't let him, but because fate decided otherwise. He was born for war and could not abandon it.
If he tried to evade battle, battle found him.

Matt, how do you like openings if not in dialog? To me dialog is the best way because the reader meets a character very fast and get a glance at the relationship between the two characters.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I am surprised by the negative reaction. I think the first 13 are very good.

I've also had the experience of suddenly having a paragraph of a story I'm writing pop into my head essentially full blown (like Athena from the brow of Zeus) and usually when that happens, I go with it. Words from the subconscious are not to be rejected lightly.

By the way, a father at 16 and old at 24 are the norm, not the exception, for human beings. It is our current mores that are the exception.

[This message has been edited by Rick Norwood (edited July 04, 2007).]

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
That's right man, Freedom 24!! Dam! Freedom 37...The dialogue is interesting and the last line is a definite draw in. For me once you said war god - I pictured Ares, I love mythology. It sounds interesting...keep up the hard work!
Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I took the "service to the war god" line figuratively rather than literally.

On second (third, actually) reading, "Twit" is beginning to annoy me as unnecessarily anachronistic.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

Yes, twit was the first word the popped to me. I wanted to use something comical, something that could be taken lightly, not like a**hole, jerk or something even more severe. Afterall, the char who said twit to the other, is trying to be his mentor, but is not working out very good. Considering that subject, I could post a dialog these same characers had about five years ago.

[This message has been edited by MartinV (edited July 05, 2007).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
My take:

quote:

"I think it is time for me to retire."
"You are [twenty-four, twit.This confuses me as to whether this story is in a historical/fantasy or Sci-Fi/furturistic realm."
"Precisely – I’m getting old. Considering how long I’[ve been] in this business[,] I should be dead by now. The only possible choice is to retire. My daughter is eight years old. It is time for me to accept fatherhood and to abandon the servitude to [The word: the makes this--> war god into: War God]. I’m returning home."

1) Some would argue that "serving the War God" in any context is definately religious. Others would argue that philosophy and science ARE religions. If not, it would HAVE to be a euphemism, and that does not appear to be the case. And if he thinks of it (or a person) as The one and only, it is the War God].

2) There are not 13 lines here. There is 7.

3) This is a deception if it's not the FIRST 13. We may never have read until this part.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited July 05, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sleepn247
Member # 5312

- posted      Profile for sleepn247   Email sleepn247         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, there just isn't very much meat here. The war god bit did come across as just strange to me. War god has a very specific connotation in my mind, but in this context, it wasn't used that way. Since you didn't explain it at all at the time, I just ignored it.

If its important, elaborate on it. If not, cut it out.

I'm just not sure if you've started this story at the right place.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

Fine.

First 13 lines of the story:
________________________________________________---
Anherey left the loud proximity of camp fires behind and despite his numerous wounds and years climbed up the steep rock incline. He soon knew where Enniorhon is: it was not difficult to find him if he wanted to be found. The rythmic sound of whetstone against steel was unmistakable; Anherey knew the whetstone's song of every one of his 'children'. This time Enniorhon's song was different somehow.

He found him thirty meters above the sea waves. As usual he was sitting alone, in darkness. It was Enniorhon, not Anherey, who began to speak. It never happened before.
"So, what's the verdict?"
"You are still as stuborn and reckless as on the day we've met."
"That good, huh?"

[This message has been edited by MartinV (edited July 06, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by MartinV (edited July 06, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited July 07, 2007).]

ArachneWeave
Member # 5469

- posted      Profile for ArachneWeave   Email ArachneWeave         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly?

I think the first version is just fine.
While it's easy to get to the nitpicking here, as a hook, I think it works very well. And the new version sounds like everything else.
Sure, it's usually a mistake to launch with dialogue that is unattributed. A few lines before or "beats" within the dailogue can help us out there.

You DO put us square in sympathy with a character that is going to be picked off, of course. Which isn't nice.

I think you've got the rhythm down right. You need to reconsider whether you want to jerk us out of our attachment to the story so fast, though.

I personally love how much information was put in those few lines of dialogue. That's the kind of writing I'll commit to a whole story for.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

A few timeless synonyms for "twit": fop, putto, jackass, catamite, or (REH's favorite) dog.
MartinV
Member # 5512

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited July 07, 2007).]

Did I say something wrong?

Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
The odds are you were over the 13 line limit.

This new 13 isn't bad but the first sentence should be split into two. Or maybe just shortened. The two "ands" so close (yes I realize one conjoins two clauses and the other a pair of somethings) strike me as an sentence thats gone too long.

The bit about the steel on stone is nice but I think the use of a colon in the previous sentence is a bit chunky.

Maybe cut after the colon and make the colon into a semicolon for "the rhythmic..."

I think its a bit silly to give the height of the cliff, I mean really is it needed and why would they a) know the exact height and b)be using SI units?. Its a superfluous bit of data that doesn't really describe the cliff's appearance. I'd rather you tell me about the sheer drop his feet dangled over or the waves that crash on the breakers below.

I feel that "It never happened before" is either redundant since you make the point of mentioning Enniorhon speaks first which already indicates to the reader this is a significant act or b) belongs as a part of the preceding sentence.

Maybe "Breaking tradition Enniorhon,not Anherey, spoke first."

To other business, Rick I realize delaying the marriage age till later in life is a relatively "western" thing to do. However, the audience is western. What with the current atmosphere regarding "predators" its safer to introduce to the reader the cultural elements that would allow a man to marry at 15/6 and a woman at 13. It doesn't have to be much "It was the first may pole dance for both of us."

Something that indicates a ritualistic courtship pattern in the society.

[This message has been edited by Matt Lust (edited July 08, 2007).]

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Unlike Matt, I very much like dialogue openings. I hate when a book opens with an info-dump of some kind, and I'm likely to put it right down.

I agree with Matt about the measurement of the cliff. I usually use bowshots as a measure, strides perhaps, handspans sometimes. All of those are fairly timeless and can be visualized.

Your opening didn't grab me at all. I can't say I saw any hook, but I would probably be willing to read a page or two anyway if I picked it up in a bookstore.

In a culture where women marry and start childbearing (and dying since a "woman" who has a child it 13 is highly likely to have a very short lifespan) at 13, women will have an extremely low social status. I think you need to do some social setting for this kind of thing, not just throw it in.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited July 08, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

Enniorhon got married at 15, his bride was 14. She gave birth at 15 and survived the birth.

The society in which they lived is a strictly patriarchal, but they usually do not marry their women so young. Enniorhon and his bride were an exception. There was no law preventing them to be married or have a child.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.