Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Alchemy: Asteroid

Author Topic: Alchemy: Asteroid
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
How is it, that when we did everything exactly right, everything ended up going so disasterously wrong?
The asteroid was detected in plenty of time. Spacewatch did its job perfectly; solemnly surveying the skies with unblinking meter-wide eyes, categorizing, plotting, plodding along until the joyful day that they actually turned up something useful.
I bet that astronomers and science geeks were dancing up and down with delight when they finally turned up a potential disaster that riveted the attention of the world. The plan, laughably, was pretty much the plot from that old Bruce Willis movie – send up a bird, shoot off a nuke, blast the threatening asteroid into a million bits of dust and gravel. End with the scientist gets the girl. And now, we sit here, waiting to die – or, barely

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited July 03, 2007).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, the Bruce Willis movie. That's hollywood. Actually an asteroid threatening to crash into earth would likely not be hit with a nuke as then the problem is you've got more chunks of varying size out there - and still a threat. More likely would be altering the course of the asteroid, putting it in a different orbit. This might even be done with nothing more than the approach of a space vehicle - the gravitational pull of the vehicle may be slight, but enough to alter the direction of the asteroid. You wouldn't have to change it much to turn a "hit" into a "miss".
Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
Nitewriter almost right.

If you start early enough a hit is easily turned into a miss.

its all a matter of degrees (literally) the sooner you apply the change the smaller the change has to be.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
My first reaction was, take out the first sentance, and either delete it completley or move it to the end of the paragraph. The latter option is a little hard to judge, being as I don't know what comes after the first thirteen.

I'm not sure I like the Bruce Willis reference. It's good that you note you're aware of the comparison, but my immediate reaction was "oh, I've heard that plot before, not really interested in reading on."

Maybe try something like "The plan seemed simple and obvious: send up a bird, shoot off a nuke, blast the threatening asteroid into a million bits of dust and gravel. [I didn't like the 'even the scientist gets the girl'] [THEN say] How is it, that when we did everything exactly right, everything ended up going so disasterously wrong? And now we're sitting here waiting to die. [Take out the 'or barely'... I'm guessing that will be alluded to as the story progresses and is thus unnecessary].

Hope that helps.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the first sentence is a strong hook. The next paragraph tells what went wrong. The problem is that the telling takes the rest of the 13 lines. I don't know what the rest of the story is like and the possibilities are so wide. It could be that 'we' sit around contemplating our doom, which I wouldn't find very interesting. It could be that 'we' do a lot of try-fail cycles with various technology - more interesting to me. It could be a framed flashback about why the nuclear blast didn't work. If the point of the 13 lines on the first page of a submittal is to sell to the editor, that wide range of possibilities should be narrowed whether the story fits the editor's interests.

Your problem is deciding what to remove. In my opinion, dancing scientists and Bruce Willis are less important than showing where your story is going.

'We' as a recurring sentence subject implies a POV character with a plural scope - a single character speaking for a group. I'd expect an introduction rather soon to both the character and the group.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
You've got a Hook:

quote:

How is it, that when we did everything exactly right, everything ended up going so disasterously wrong?
The asteroid was detected in plenty of time. Spacewatch did its job perfectly; solemnly surveying the skies with unblinking meter-wide eyes, categorizing, plotting, plodding along until the joyful day that they actually turned up something useful.
I bet that astronomers and science geeks were dancing up and down with delight when they finally turned up a potential disaster that riveted the attention of the world. The plan, laughably, was pretty much the plot from that old Bruce Willis movie – send up a bird, shoot off a nuke, blast the threatening asteroid into a million bits of dust and gravel. End with the scientist gets the girl. And now, we sit here, waiting to die – or, barely

Everything between seems to be extraneous and incongruous -- not to mentioned riddled with adverbs (you know how we love them) -- and could probably undergo intense trimming. I bet you could trim the section between the hooks to a short sentence or two.

I didn't have a problem with the Bruce Willis reference, I just don't know if this is the right place for it. You should be drilling the hook home.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the first 13, but I probably wouldn't read the story, because I don't read stories that start out, "Here is how we all died". Maybe it is just me, but while an occasional downbeat ending can be great (think: Chinatown) I tend to prefer problems that get solved.

"End with the scientist gets the girl." is bad grammar. maybe intentionally so. Consider leaving out both "the"'s. Aside from that my only thought is that this story is going to require a lot of research. The scientists really do have to be doing everything right.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeffrey.hite
Member # 5278

- posted      Profile for jeffrey.hite   Email jeffrey.hite         Edit/Delete Post 
Read "The Hammer of God" By Arthur C. Clark. The Bruce Willis movies was based on it, but not very well. But is sounds very much like this. There have been a number of stories like this one. Even if you don't read the whole book read his sources at the end, it lists just about every other book on the same subject.

I am not saying that you shouldn't write your own just know that there are many others out there. Clark I think does a really good job with his version worth the time to read it.

I forgot to say that his version of this is called space guard, and he actually suggests that it would have been better to call it Space Watch since that is what it did.

-Jeff

[This message has been edited by jeffrey.hite (edited July 04, 2007).]

Posts: 95 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

per the papers sent to congress June of 07 by nasa on the NEO (Near Earth Orbit) conference in washington, nukes are still a viable defense plan to avoid collision of a "civilization killer" asteroid with earth. Anybody willing to read the full story? anticipate getting it done this weekend, and, yeah, I think I've got a pretty fresh take on the killer asteroid thing, why don't you offer to read it and see?

P.S. Spacewatch is the actual name of the program that NASA implemented. I wouldn't be surprised if they named in in Clark's honor, although I don't know.

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited July 04, 2007).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeffrey.hite
Member # 5278

- posted      Profile for jeffrey.hite   Email jeffrey.hite         Edit/Delete Post 
Fine you got me.

I can't read until next week but if you don't need a fast return...

I will have to read the notes at the end again, but think that you are right it probably was a nod to him.

hope you took good notes in orbital mechanics, and missile school. If not I will hook you up.

-Jeff

Posts: 95 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'll offer to read it. That first sentence is still a good hook.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

thanks, you guys. No rush at all, this is strictly a for fun gift to myself. and Mr. Hite, i so appreciate the offer of science help. I'm a decent researcher, but its not my area of expertise.
jeffrey.hite
Member # 5278

No Mr!

I am father of 7 and older than I look, but please... No mr. We are all informal here. Jeff will do, or if you just want to copy and paste jeffrey.hite.

debhoag
Member # 5493

Mother or six, here. calling you Mr. makes me feel a little younger, but, more prosaically, there were two jeffs responding. How old are your kids? mine go from 23-7 girls on both ends, boys in the middle. Actually, very tired husband in the middle, but that would belong in the erotica thread

jeffrey.hite
Member # 5278

mine are younger.

10 to not born until next month. Boys in the beginning girls in the end. don't know about the new one. I like surprises of that type.

Very tired husband. That is my job title. And why I do mostly reading for folks on this board and a lot less writing then I would like.

-Jeff

darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't say how many words this is. I'll have a look for you if you want. It sounds interesting.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

thanks, Darklight. I don't have a word count yet, because I haven't finished it yet. I haven't ever tried to write short fiction for publication before. Anybody have a suggestion on preferred would length for scifi mags?
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
The preferred length, even the maximum length accepted for some mags is up to 5,000 words. Of course, the larger mags will take a story much longer than that.
Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

thanks, nitewriter. I don't think I have to worry about shooting for the larger mags, yet. But it is nice to have a target length.

BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it, so send it along!
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeffrey.hite
Member # 5278

FYI good site for research.

http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/academy/rocket_sci/orbmech/orbmech.html

Sorry that was not really the site I meant copy and paste error. It is still valid site but some of the info is buried kind of deep, this one is much better as all the calculations are right there. I think, IMHO, that you don't need to have these listed out or really worked out on you missiles projection before you write, but it is a good idea to have an idea of that they are and what they mean so that you don't trip up those NASA nuts (ME) with an inaccuracy. Once I read it I can help if you have glaring stuff. Total geek thing here, I have written programs that calculate some of this stuff, so I understand it pretty well.

Here is the better site.

http://www.braeunig.us/space/orbmech.htm

[This message has been edited by jeffrey.hite (edited July 05, 2007).]

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
If you want more readers, I'm in. I think you have my contact info. I agreed w/previous posters about what you might want to look at w/the first 13 - adverbitis, the hook being the first and last sentences, some trimming possible, but I'm tired tonight so - if you want another reader, send it when it's done!
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Now this page works fine. Probably just Windows letting me know who's boss, one more time.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

finished asteroid up last night, came in a just under 3,000 words. KayTi, i would love to have you read, but think I accidentally purged your email address. If you feel like flipping me a note at debhoag@juno.com, I will send it right out.
thanks everyone! deb

Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

I've changed my mind, and would like to read Alchemy Asteroid. (Anybody who says nice things about my writing must be a great writer herself.)

JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah this discussion is a perfect example of why I don't write Science Fiction. The world is full of author eating geeks just waiting one to trip so they can leap upon them and munch them to shreds... just kidding. But fantasy types are much more forgiving of authors who say stupid stuff.

I'd offer to read it, Deb, but I would so not be able to help on tech stuff you might want a SF expert to do so. However, if you'd like a non-SF expert opinion, I'd be happy to read it for you.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited July 07, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

And, see, this is exactly why I love it here - all these wonderful brainiacs with all their odd and helpful pockets of knowledge, devoting time and attention to my stuff, so i can get it perfect. JeanneT, I'll send you an email with asteroid in it - the tech stuff is just to sell the idea - but don't tell these guys, okay? They still think there is w remote possibility I know what I'm talking about!
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Deb, I emailed my crit. I hope I fulfilled my promise to be totally inexpert in hard sci-fi, honest, and courteous.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

If you think fantasy types are more forgiving, just confuse a crossbow with a longbow and watch what happens.
debhoag
Member # 5493

I just found out i had the galapagos islands on the wrong side of south america! Acck!
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
Rick I think a reader's forgiving nautre depends on one's investment in fandom.

Fantasy has its share of SCA Freaks just as SF has its share of Uber-tech geeks.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.